BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Aug-23-2017, 11:25:32 PM   #1
Baby ///M3

United States

Default Engine stuttering issues

Hello again,

I have a 60k mile supercharged/aftercooled six-speed 98 E36 M3, which ran beautifully with no issues whatsoever before this happened.

Long story short. I wanted to replace my Depo angel eye headlights with a set of Bosch headlights and the shop that worked on my car wanted to modify the sheet metal in the engine bay to make more room for the driver side headlight. I asked them to just chop/trim the back of the headlight and don't mess with the mechanical parts but they wanted to make things perfect so they took the more difficult route. Anyway, I went with the shop's recommendation and let them do what they thought was the correct way.

I picked up the car a few days later. After driving 2-3 mile down the road, the car began to feel like it was running out of gas. The engine huffed and puffed a couple of times before it finally stalled. I was able to push it to a gas station and filled up the gas tank. Initially, the engine would turn over but would not start no matter how many times I tried. A couple of hours later, I was able to start the engine but the car would either stall after idling for a few minutes or make farting sound from the back of the exhaust.

I had to tow the car back to the same shop, where a mechanic informed me that the intake tube might've been loosened when he took it apart to install the driver side headlight. I didn't think it was a big deal so I left the car at the shop for them to resolve this issue. A few days later, my car was ready to be picked up again. I was told that it ran/drove fine and only required recalibration of the mass airflow sensor. I let the car idle for 10 minutes and indeed, it sounded perfectly normal. However, as soon as I left the shop the car started to stutter when I got on the gas pedal. I returned to the shop again, only to see the engine idle poorly (dropping from normal idling speed to 500RPM every now and then) and the check engine light return.

Now I am baffled/worried. The car's never had any mechanical issues before. All the injectors, coils, spark plugs and mass airflow sensor are new. The RMS aftercooler and its components were also purchased brand new just a couple of years ago as well. I am using a TT tune.

Does anyone know what might've caused this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out

Last edited by Baby ///M3; Wed, Aug-23-2017 at 11:30:24 PM.
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 12:11:17 AM   #2
LuckyM301

United States

Default Re: Engine stuttering issues

Maybe someone left a loose wire from the depos and it is shorting causing some funky electrical issue? I would check all the wiring they touched if they think they left a hose unattached then there could be other problems
and check where the depos were spliced into as well, that would be my first step

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Jump to top LuckyM301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 01:02:15 AM   #3
westopher

Canada

Any CEL? I'd bet there's a vacuum leak or crack in the intake boot (not sure what the intake boot looks like on a sc car) since they were jamming shit around on the intake side. They sound like they had no business doing the work they did though.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 02:36:29 AM   #4
Braymond141

United States

Incorrectly installed tubes, maf wiring or maf is damaged.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote