BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 01:56:34 AM   #11
haus
So anal, my torque wrench has a torque wrench up its ****

United States

Default Re: Title: Salvage or Clean?

You might want to check with your insurance company to see what they'll offer in terms of policies for the salvage car. Some won't write a policy at all, and you may have limited options for coverage, if that matters to you.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 02:37:22 AM   #12
white-hot
is lurking around the corner

In the garage:

United States

Regardless of the title issue, verts are not a good bet with the e36. For one, the tops are very expensive to repair both mechanically for the motors and linkage and for windows and canvas. They are a semi automatic top, meaning they use bungie straps to help move the rear section up, and these are rarely fully functional. Having repalced a set of these, as well as 2 windows, i can say it is not worth all the time and money required. In short it is a royal pita. If the ones you are looking at have any top issues at all i would steer clear. My $0.02.

Also, e36 vert are very loose feeling when driven to the edge. There is a preponderance of body flex or cowl shake, and no amount of bracing will fix this. And i noticed an increase as the car got older, so something to think about when test driving these two examples. If hard driving is not an issue then this may not be a concern.

As for the title, that would come down to what you plan to do with the car long term. There is no doubt that the value issue is paramount here, as no salvage car, regardless of how clean, will ever be worth the input of cash required to maintain an e36. I currently own a salvage e36 and i purchased it strictly as a dd and fun car for autox and track play time. Its resale value to me is a no issue as i have no desire to sell and would rather drive it till it blows or gets wrapped around a tree. I have to date put twice what i paid for it in rebuilding the suspension and tires, wheels and brakes, and if i did sell it i would be hard pressed to get what i paid initially.

So based on what you have said you are likely leaning to the salvage for the money saved up front, but realize you will be losing every penny you spend to improve the car the minute you write the check.

I have owned 2 e36 verts and 2 e46 verts, and can say without doubt that in all respects the e46 is far superior in both top function and body flex issues. Were i to consider another vert i would never get another e36.

Wish you luck with whatever you purchase!
Jump to top white-hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 02:55:54 AM   #13
wgknestrick

In the garage:

United States

Condition dictates value not a toggle flag on a title database.

"clean" title cars in bad condition = little value
"salvage" title cars in bad condition = little value

Great condition cars = most value

If a salvaged car has cracks in the frame and wasn't repaired correctly = bad condition. It's up to the buyer to determine the condition and value of the car.
Jump to top wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 04:59:02 AM   #14
zhp43867

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Mine has a "clean title" and I'm learning more and more about it's undisclosed issues every time I drive it.
For the salvage titled car, at least at some point, an insurance company had to have someone go over it, perhaps it also went to a garage for repair and was then deemed safe to put back on the road (depending on that state's inspection laws).

That's unsettling at first, I get that ...but the "clean" car has no assurance of no damage or issues either.

At least the salvaged car has a known background where the "clean" car is a mystery and fingers crossed it is actually clean. I guess it's a $4000 bet, right?
As suggested, do the inspection.
Insurance companies and body shops "going over" the car shouldn't reassure you at all. These insurance companies deemed the car too expensive to repair or unfit for the road in the first place. Secondly, insurance funded bodywork is usually even worse than the average bodywork- which is really, really bad. The only body-esque shop I'd be happy to have touch a nice car would be a restoration shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Condition dictates value not a toggle flag on a title database.

"clean" title cars in bad condition = little value
"salvage" title cars in bad condition = little value

Great condition cars = most value

If a salvaged car has cracks in the frame and wasn't repaired correctly = bad condition. It's up to the buyer to determine the condition and value of the car.
Condition dictates the value of most cars that have clean titles. A salvage title dictates severely reduced value itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tock172
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Jump to top zhp43867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 08:13:21 AM   #15
JohnGibson
Captain Save-A-Ho

United States

The hunt is sweeter than the kill. True spoken words.
Some great advice and I like reading everyone's opinions. It helps me get a better understanding of what direction I want to go. I will take everything said into consideration.
It's sad but true that some salvage cars are in better psychical condition than one that has a clean title. I've experienced older vehicles that probably would have been salvage if they had gone through the insurance claim instead of being fix with cash at a mom and pop shop.
I thought about picking up a E46 but again I still like the look of the E36 body.
I'm ok with E36 M3 not being the fastest or best handling car. Those are not what I'm after for this situation. I want an E36 M3 because I like the design, classic 90's. I would like a convertible to be able to cruise with the top down. So I figure two birds with one stone. If I want to go fast or better handling I'll jump on the bike or drive my weekend car. In reality I like driving my DD more. It's cheap to maintain, great on gas, I can park it anywhere and not worry about door dings etc. I don't plan on selling it and it's a clean title that has some body repairs, bought it used for a good price.
Rather then selling, if you keep something you don't "lose" any money. That's an opinion though. I figure I'd lose money either way by going the convertible route since they are not that sought after. It's like an E36 M3 in auto. Asking price for those are almost half of what a manual would be and probably harder to sell as well. These are after all high maintenance cars even if you can pick one up for cheap. I think that these cars are more for the look and nostalgic feel. There are lot of options in the same price range as these cars that offer better performance, handling, and cheaper to fix up.
In the meantime I'll keep an eye out and do more research about the E36 M3, mainly maintenance and the cost of replacing or adding parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top JohnGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 02:37:14 PM   #16
Billyp7718

United States

A while back I bought a low mileage (37k), 99. I paid for the best one I could find after a very long search because I always wanted the e36 in estoril. Don't let folks scare you away from the vert. It is a fantastic car in e36 form. Top up driving is not great due to noise and rattles, but a hard top will virtually eliminate that as well as cowl shake and make for an awesome looking pillarless coupe. Tip: make sure the top opens and closes smoothly. Get a PPI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Billyp7718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 02:58:56 PM   #17
B329iC

United States

Buy the "salvage" vert! With the money you save you can mod it up and or replace items that need replacing with the savings. Two thins you might want to think about getting are a hardtop and a windscreen. The hard top is nice when it's extremely hot or cold out and the windscreen to kill some of the air buffeting you from behind when driving with the top down, which should be done as often as possible. Enjoy it as they are fun to drive.
Jump to top B329iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-13-2017, 04:40:56 PM   #18
Earthwormjlm
Imolarot M3

United States

Cars don't get salvaged unless there is a real reason. They probably found the car sitting on blocks, or a lot of parts stripped to give it that title when it was recovered.

You said the salvage car is half the price of the clean title car, big deal, E36 M3's are cheap anyway. We're not talking tens of thousands saved.
Jump to top Earthwormjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 08:21:17 AM   #19
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Condition dictates value not a toggle flag on a title database...
Not in the real world.

Same goes for mileage or a fully stammped service book.

It says less than zero, yet in the real world...

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-14-2017, 06:24:22 PM   #20
Tove
They See Me Rollin'

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd never spend a penny on maintaining or modding a salvage titled car. It worth it if it's a car you want to drive into the ground. That's about it. You may save what, 4K?
This is an excellent point of view. Salvage not worth it IMO.

BMW Enthusiast since 1987 | Tove aka Genuine
Jump to top Tove is offline   Reply With Quote