BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Wed, May-10-2017, 01:18:27 AM   #1
FLYNAVY

United States

Default Another noise thread

I've been noticing this on occasion for a while now (description below). Car is an '08 DCT e92 M3, 69k miles....

- Random rattle seeming to emanate from under the car, hard to tell how far forward it is, but seemingly the front half
- Doesn't seem to be related to engine temp
- Seems to only occur in 2nd/3rd gear
- First rattle will be somewhere in the 1000-1500 RPM range, sounding metallic and somewhat like a driveshaft with some play in the linkage/trans output shaft, maybe crossed with some marbles rolling in a bucket
- Second rattle is a little more sustained (1-2 sec), and will occur around 2500 RPM plus or minus a couple.....it will completely cease prior to 3000 RPM and will not occur again
- Neither seem to be in phase with the engine, and it is not a sound which increases in intensity or frequency as the engine accelerates
- Not audible with windows up, mildly audible with left window only open, and most pronounced with right window open.
- Of particular note, the car will not make any of these noises if transmission is in neutral and the motor is simply rev'd. Only occurs under actual driving conditions, with the engine/drivetrain under load.
- Does not seem to be particularly isolated to hard acceleration scenarios.....I generally drive like a grandma and it still happens during normal acceleration as well
- Does not always occur

That's the best description I have at the moment. I'm familiar with the rod bearing problems folks have had (as well as the possible issues with '08 MY in particular), and while I haven't seen one of these motors do it in person, after watching videos on the boards and youtube, the sound I'm hearing is different in tone, as well as frequency (does not accelerate with the motor, does not occur across a wide portion of the rpm band). Also, since it doesn't occur in my garage in neutral with the windows down, in my mind, this would also seem to potentially rule that out. What I'm thinking is that it is just a pure random rattle, or potentially a transmission, driveshaft, or differential problem (though seems to come from front of car, which could rule out diff). Thoughts? Anyone else have or hear of a problem that generally matches this description? Have been searching around, and am not finding much that accurately describes what I'm hearing. Thanks in advance!
Jump to top FLYNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-11-2017, 09:32:25 PM   #2
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Another noise thread

This sounds exactly like the noise I hear on my car as well, except I had determined it seemed to be coming from the mid/rear. A BMW mechanic went for a ride with me and told me the noise was normal and it was caused when the load is suddenly reversed while driving - when you stop forward momentum sometimes it causes a part on the drive train to make that noise as the load of the car reverses towards the back. I took my car to my buddy's shop yesterday to once and for all pinpoint the sound, he is a racecar mechanic/driver from Europe and he is extremely knowledgeable. We took the car for a test drive then put it up on a lift. He checked out everything underneath the car to make sure nothing was loose, then after I told him about the explanation given to me by the BMW mechanic, he went to the rear axle and spun the differential around manually with his hand. It had a really similar tone to the sound I sometimes hear. He said that the load reversal explanation sounded correct. Apparently, it is a normal sound... Hope this helps
Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-13-2017, 05:55:52 PM   #3
DGN23

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
This sounds exactly like the noise I hear on my car as well, except I had determined it seemed to be coming from the mid/rear. A BMW mechanic went for a ride with me and told me the noise was normal and it was caused when the load is suddenly reversed while driving - when you stop forward momentum sometimes it causes a part on the drive train to make that noise as the load of the car reverses towards the back. I took my car to my buddy's shop yesterday to once and for all pinpoint the sound, he is a racecar mechanic/driver from Europe and he is extremely knowledgeable. We took the car for a test drive then put it up on a lift. He checked out everything underneath the car to make sure nothing was loose, then after I told him about the explanation given to me by the BMW mechanic, he went to the rear axle and spun the differential around manually with his hand. It had a really similar tone to the sound I sometimes hear. He said that the load reversal explanation sounded correct. Apparently, it is a normal sound... Hope this helps
I've also just noticed this sound on my 13' SMG. Just rolled over 48k KM's yesterday and while backing into my underground parking I could hear a ping noise like nuts and bolts being dropped in a hollow tin bucket. Only happens when car is in motion going forwards or reverse. Also could here a light metallic brushing noise as if the brakes were grabbing just enough to to be audible but not actually slow the car down.

Are you guys hearing this noise regularly or just randomly? I've had the car for 3 weeks now and just heard it yesterday for the first time.

Edit: Best description of the noise is like the car is dragging tin cans.

Last edited by DGN23; Sun, May-14-2017 at 04:11:40 PM.
Jump to top DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-14-2017, 05:32:01 AM   #4
FLYNAVY

United States

Yeah, that is a pretty close description of what I'm hearing, though I have noticed it only in normal forward driving. It's a little random, but fairly consistent for me.
Old Sun, May-14-2017, 04:44:17 PM   #5
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

You guys have perfectly articulated the sound I have been hearing... It seems really likely we are all talking about the same thing. As a side note, my car is a 2008 E90.

As far as I can tell this is a common complaint, but a lot of people have fixed it by flushing/changing out the differential fluid with the Friction Modifier (FM Booster) fluid - PART#: 83 22 2 282 583 - as opposed to the regular rear axle oil... So, that is what I am going to do.

Found this useful thread on changing out diff fluid...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714350

Sorry, had to edit this a couple times to make sure I had the most accurate info in there

Last edited by DreamTime; Sun, May-14-2017 at 07:15:28 PM.
Old Sun, May-14-2017, 06:40:14 PM   #6
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

I'm going to switch out my diff fluid this week, I will post an update after I am done
Old Mon, May-15-2017, 12:50:43 AM   #7
FLYNAVY

United States

Cool, thanks and I will try that and report back
Old Thu, May-18-2017, 01:46:40 AM   #8
DGN23

Canada

DreamTime how much mileage do you have on yours? I'm curious if this is mileage dependant or if it can happen at any time.

Drove mine yesterday for a short drive. No noise at any point...
Jump to top DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-18-2017, 02:24:48 PM   #9
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
DreamTime how much mileage do you have on yours? I'm curious if this is mileage dependant or if it can happen at any time.

Drove mine yesterday for a short drive. No noise at any point...
I have about 87000. I have had the car for about a month and a half and I have noticed it the whole time. But, a good friend of mine with an almost identical car, 2008 E92, with almost the same miles has never had this problem or heard any noise from his differential. ? I honestly am not 100% sure what causes it, although I did see a few different theories on other forums. What year is your car? How many miles?

I did speak at length with a certified BMW mechanic about this, and he said it is something he sees all the time. When the differential makes this noise he always switches out the diff fluid with the BMW FM Booster fluid. I am actually doing this today
Old Fri, May-19-2017, 12:26:16 PM   #10
pbonsalb

I never had any noise, but when I changed my fluids around 60k when I did the rod bearings, I used the FM fluid and continue to have no noise. Sometimes I wonder whether lockup might be improved with non FM fluid. I can light up the rear tires pretty easily and have been running 285/35/18 PSS and now 295/30/18 EC Sport. I have all the bolt on mods and tune and probably make close to 400 rwhp, about 15% over stock.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote