BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 06:26:52 PM   #211
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Default Re: My $8.8K 176K mile Craigslist E36M3 Journey Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
GG - no worries bud!

funny thing... got car back from mechanic.... and it runs great. No CEL. Good power.

**perhaps I just need to keep an LS motor in my shop as a threat? ........

cars are funny like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 01:20:19 AM   #212
betrezra

United States

Had blast this week @ the Ford Performance Driving School in Utah outside of SLC. Great track there.

The new mustang GT was a really well balanced car on track.. you can steer w/throttle just like my old C5 Z06. I was totally shocked at how predictable it was. Compared to the last must I drove...... the old Fox bodies from the 90's. They were POS.

I was not so impressed to buy one.... too big and heavy.... the nose overhand is crazy..... and it seemed down on power (to me). stock brakes w/perf pads was GREAT no fade on each of the 5 20 min sessions...... suspension was ok for stock....... funny a couple of them experienced a glitch where if you came out of a sharp turn in 3rd........ and hammered the throttle, the ecu would go into a limp mode and not let you rev pst 4K....... they said it was due to engine speed not matching wheel speed..... ?? ...... so you had to up shift... then down shift.... or release the accelerator, then try again to get power ...... hopefully the ford engineers are using this data.....

Ran into a visitor from Germany..... he got the 1 day class for free after purchase of a Gt350.... when asked why he was not buying the usual german products.... AMG / M3... he said he wanted more than just a bolt on factory car.... he wanted a race car LOL... funny to see diff perceptions from across the water.

I came away from this experience looking forward to my e36/ls track car even more! I call her GMW-M3

My trip to p/u the swap motor/trans is delayed 1 wk due to a potential tropical storm (Hurricane? tbd) targetting Houston.... couldn't leave my family to deal with flooding etc.... while I'm out picking up speed parts.

Also have to mention 3 of the ford instructors have E36 cars... in various states of build/prep..... 1 guy has a turbo E36, another a stock M3 copy for DE's...., and another a work in progress. These guys can build drive what-ever they want...... and they choose E36. Pretty cool validation for how good the chassis is on these. (as you already know).

Also got to chat with a Ford Engineer who was participating. He has a dream job IMHO.... working on some cool skunkwork projects...... suspension, etc..... most of which he could not give details. Started with roush, then chyrsler, now back at ford proper. He get's access to shop equipment /tools tech for his builds...... sooooo jealous.

Last edited by betrezra; Thu, Aug-24-2017 at 01:30:04 AM.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 04:47:24 PM   #213
betrezra

United States

Picked up the LS1 yesterday. 20 hr trip.
Once I find a decent photo hosting site I"ll post up pics.

Last edited by betrezra; Sun, Sep-10-2017 at 09:26:08 PM.
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 01:52:14 AM   #214
betrezra

United States

\

New heart transplant for my tired M3..... 2000 WS6 Trans-Am 'drop-out' ls1-t56 w/harness, accy's, computer, 73k miles, 345hp/350tq bone stock, with some impressive hp/tq upside for cheap.

Waiting on Vorshlag back-order swap parts...... mm's, trans mount steering shaft, lt headers, custom ds, abs relocate kit, fuel adapt kit, harness adapt kit, etc.. etc.....

Last edited by betrezra; Mon, Sep-11-2017 at 01:55:19 AM.
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 02:10:27 AM   #215
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
\

New heart transplant for my tired M3..... 2000 WS6 Trans-Am 'drop-out' ls1-t56 w/harness, accy's, computer, 73k miles, 345hp/350tq bone stock, with some impressive hp/tq upside for cheap.

Waiting on Vorshlag back-order swap parts...... mm's, trans mount steering shaft, lt headers, custom ds, abs relocate kit, fuel adapt kit, harness adapt kit, etc.. etc.....

I wonder what that cost $$$$?

Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 03:09:57 AM   #216
betrezra

United States

$4500

Im an intake cam tune away from reliable na 450hp.
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 05:16:53 AM   #217
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Good Luck to ya, but what about the rest of the stuff ?

Old Sun, Sep-24-2017, 12:19:09 AM   #218
betrezra

United States

Update on the GMw-//M3 Project:

The old spal fan decided to come loose and collide with mr water pump pulley.
In prep for cooling mods for the ls swap, bought a mishomoto fan/wiring kit/radiator.... installed it, and was having over heating at low speeds...... thinking the little mishy rad/fan are not enough... I regrouped...... then staring at the fan in operation.... I got a wild hair to put a pc of paper against the fan...... and I find my culpurit..... fan spinning wrong direction! Funny thing I tested it by feel with my hand.... and I felt air blowing towards the engine.... but it was just the air coming around the fan into my hand...... temps are solid under all conditions right now with the misho stuff.

I ordered a replacement pusher fan as well..... as the old stocker will spin if I give it a help by hand to get it moving... then it will take off..... I use a screw driver to get it spinning... prob a bad spot on the stator?

The swap kit bits are slowly being delivered from Dallas to my shop...... they build in small batches.

I plan to base-line the car with current motor: 1 autocross event, 1 HPDE 1/2 day, Dyno, and maybe 1 run down the 1/4 mile (if it hold together through all of this ...... then will do the same with the stock LS motor.

Swap kit bits on order:
LT Headers
MM's
Trans Mount
Power Steering adapter kit w/int cooler
Fuel Line adapter kit
New 255lph drop in pump kit
ABS relocate kit with pre-bent lines
DS

Remaining Items to order for swap:
Wiring specialties swap loom.

.... Side note..... I'm reading my local BMW club rag... and I see an ADVERT for a Bimmer Enthusiast Watch Winder...... made out of a genuine S52 Head! The price rag for this $25K!!! LOL..... I just found out how to fund this swap. ......
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 02:18:56 PM   #219
betrezra

United States

New stereo head-unit installed. Finally have BT, Handsfree cell, and HD FM stations.
Had to crack up as the radio pre-set on the high-energy dance music station in town... which at least in my area is fitting for the m3 drivers. car seems to run better with techno.

parts arriving daily:
lower fr cont arms from ECS
rackDR rebuilt st rack with end links
new rad fan shroud,
new rad pusher fan,

things breaking daily that need attn: (entropy is at work with the E36) -
glove box fail (2nd replacement)
power door lock fail..... intermittant
ac intermittent.... suspect new pusher fan should help

Vorshlag email last week says 50% of parts coming next week.... and final lot in the works.... if you go this route.. order early and plan way ahead.
There are cheaper swap kit options on fleabay but I've heard mixed results in engine placement, header proximity to blines, and build quality.
ciao for now.
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 02:56:47 PM   #220
Poorhouse

In the garage:

United States

Excellent.

Looking forward to baseline numbers.