BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Jul-09-2016, 02:33:39 AM   #31
MMMGP
retired

In the garage:

Poland

Default Re: My 99' Hellrot intro

Ahhh, that makes sense. That's not Magma interior, it's Sand Beige.

Only 38 coupes came in this color combo and EY83834 is the second to last Hellrot/SB coupe to roll off the line, the last one was EY83902 & on the same day too... 04/26/99.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and run 0w40 Rotella T6, no issues and it's readily available at the local Walmart. I go early in the morning, around 7am, when all the dysfunctional shoppers are either sleeping or just getting to bed.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jul-09-2016, 02:41:23 AM   #32
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Your VIN shows Sand Beige interior, and after a 2nd look, they are Sand. Magma will be a bit darker and will usually have some marbling effect. FWIW I really like the seats, and the aged patina on them.

My car has the White Indicator Light option as well and somewhere along the way they were changed to ambers. I have photos of the car as early as 2009 w/ 35k miles and they were ambers. I found the 2nd owners name and address, haven't got around to contacting him yet to see what he can share with me.
Jump to top EY84002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-09-2016, 04:09:47 AM   #33
HELROTM3

United States

Very nice find!
Jump to top HELROTM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-09-2016, 06:06:29 AM   #34
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Ahhhhhh yea now I just feel kind of dumb. Sorry guys lol. Glad to clear it up and learn more as I go.
Jump to top Nate047 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-23-2016, 09:14:58 PM   #35
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Small update:

_D814311 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Yokohama S Drive in stock size, went with these as they are 300 UTQG and thus a true street tire. Should be perfect for my baseline test. I think I will keep the existing brakes on the car for now as well, they are stock and in adequate condition for a stock car, although those will be one of the first things I address after the track day next weekend. The car drives nice, there was a slight wobble in the steering around 60 mph which is gone now, must have been from an unbalanced wheel. Otherwise... They are street tires. Nothing earth shattering. Oh I also added the OEM cross brace.

I also noticed the fitment is a bit off on my front bumper trim.

_D814375 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

_D814376 by Nate Hassler, on Flickr

Any idea what's the deal here? Do I need to replace this piece? It appears to be clipped in, and yet, the gap is quite large...

Since the car was on the rack I did another thorough once over, my to-do list is basically this as of now:

Brakes/suspension. Preemptively replace control arm bushings all around, likely sway bar upgrade w/ adjustable end links, KW V3 because why bother with anything else, strengthened upper mount (suggestions for this?) and TBD adjustable alignment pieces (suggestions?) I'm not sure what I need exactly but I would like to be able to have a proper track alignment without adding spherical bearings if possible. Also, does anyone make a roll center adjusting kit for these cars? Like an extended ball joint?

Clutch, throwout bearing is making noise, would like suggestions on this for sure. I want to keep an OEM clutch but I would like to go with a single mass flywheel. M5 clutch is I think the route to go here, no?

Motor mounts, looks like these should be replaced as well, as long as I'm under the car replacing every damn thing. Also the liner along the top of the driveshaft tunnel is sagging slightly, does not appear to be in danger of ripping or flying off but I want to replace that because I don't like the idea of some shit hanging loose underneath my car.

Some basic bolt ons aka noise makers... CARB legal is a must for me, as well as the magazine articles. I want to keep it all on the up 'n up for now. Down the road I might consider other power adding options. I don't really think the car is "underpowered" as it sits but I know you guys will have your own opinions about that lol.

TBD aesthetic upgrades, including at the very least, new headlights. These things are the worst.

Exterior/interior detailing and seat repair. Driver's seat back has some play front to back and won't recline... How to fix this?

Set of "show" wheels/tires and a set of "track" wheels/tires. Likely I will source 2 additional M contour rears to make a square stock wheel setup for track, looking for a set of 18" AC Schnitzer Type III for street. Need those for nostalgic reasons.

Heading out this afternoon to shoot some drone footage and a couple of rig shots because f&*% it

Last edited by Nate047; Sat, Jul-23-2016 at 09:23:46 PM.
Old Sat, Jul-23-2016, 09:49:44 PM   #36
usedunderwear

United States

^ sounds like the car has lots of issues here and there, just replace everything that is old I suppose.

GL heading out there man, so hot right now. You got PM
Jump to top usedunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-24-2016, 08:12:26 PM   #37
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Yea man, it's pretty clean for what it is but it's a "project." I don't mind! In fact I kind of enjoy the transformation, and I like learning a new car (hell, a whole new brand and genre in fact) as most of the cars I've owned previously have been Japanese.
Old Wed, Jul-27-2016, 04:27:55 PM   #38
usedunderwear

United States

Same here, 1st car for me that isn't Japanese. The car is really finicky but the driving experience is just great/awesome
Jump to top usedunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 08:39:37 PM   #39
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Had a fun time at the track but I only got to run one session... Had the ticking noise again, and low oil pressure warning. I was pitted next to a BMW mechanic and he took a few minutes to look at my car, told me it was likely the lifters (like suggested before) and also the lower timing chain tensioner is making another lovely sound. Also one of my pulleys is squealing, I think it's the alternator because occasionally I have had an issue where if the car is on for a while and I shut it down, back on, etc it will not start up very easily as if the battery is low, but the battery is new. I have an aftermarket belt, is there a chance the belt is too lose and is slipping on the pulley? Basically my car is making 3 awesome noises. Also learned that the stock brakes are shit and I'm bottoming out my stock suspension on the bump stops.

Up next: oil pressure issue, pulley issue, brakes, new clutch before this one shits the bed, and back to the track hopefully when it's a bit cooler out. gonna keep the stock suspension until I have the time to do everything at once.
Old Sun, Jul-31-2016, 09:07:03 PM   #40
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

BTW here's 2 rig shots from my wife Lisa Linke:

www.lisa-linke.com
www.facebook.com/lisalinkephotography
Instagram @lisa.linke