BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:01:28 AM   #21
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
bimmerfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 6,004
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerfan08 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Figured you would take a crack at this swap sooner or later with how much interest you've shown in other conversion threads. Looking forward to the end result.
__________________
Quote:
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:09:12 AM   #22
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 34,057
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
More of the I wanted to not leave a challenge unfinished. Also we as E46 nuts need a "street" gtr in the wild. While not 100% real will be as close as we mortals can afford.

The sharing info is becuase of my belife in our forum as a community. If the forum was not as such i would not share not be on here. Why I do the GB for rod bearings. Takes time and I get nothing for it. Like with the CSL knowledge is power so we all beniffet.




Sacramento. Anyone is welcome to come and see but bring cloths you can work it. If you are here you are helping work on car in some capacity.



One issue at a time buddy. First issue is get it to fit and all the plumbing. Then code and wires. I will share as I have better idea. Current plan is to use MS54HP with extra chip to drive the extra cylinders. Then code it to work with current gauges. This will allow the car to still be E46 for abs, dsc. Only a plan but will update once there. Until then focusing on how to fit big foot in TINNNYYYYY shoe.
Awesome.

Can't wait to hear more! If you can make it work properly with a modified mss54hp, that's about as clean of an install (electronically) as we could hope for! Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

While you're in hardware side, might be worth thinking about adding knock sensors to the block
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:15:55 AM   #23
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
bimmerfan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 6,004
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerfan08 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

While you're in hardware side, might be worth thinking about adding knock sensors to the block
And a dipstick.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e9x-m3-...kit-p2042.aspx
__________________
Quote:
But what I see daily are typical German car colors; blacks, silvers, grays and whites. They look nice, I agree, but to me the appeal is what the M cars were in the 1980s an event. Its not so much that I want to be noticed, but more that I want to stand apart from the crowd. And to me, Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Seca Blue are two of the best ways to differentiate your M3 experience from the norm.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:24:23 AM   #24
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 34,057
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Since the s65 is map based (and has no maf), I assume they plan to build this around csl engine management... And the csl can display oil level in the cluster. Soooo, they might not NEED to use a dipstick.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:26:10 AM   #25
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,346
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
More of the I wanted to not leave a challenge unfinished. Also we as E46 nuts need a "street" gtr in the wild. While not 100% real will be as close as we mortals can afford.

The sharing info is becuase of my belife in our forum as a community. If the forum was not as such i would not share not be on here. Why I do the GB for rod bearings. Takes time and I get nothing for it. Like with the CSL knowledge is power so we all beniffet.




Sacramento. Anyone is welcome to come and see but bring cloths you can work it. If you are here you are helping work on car in some capacity.



One issue at a time buddy. First issue is get it to fit and all the plumbing. Then code and wires. I will share as I have better idea. Current plan is to use MS54HP with extra chip to drive the extra cylinders. Then code it to work with current gauges. This will allow the car to still be E46 for abs, dsc. Only a plan but will update once there. Until then focusing on how to fit big foot in TINNNYYYYY shoe.
Define "extra chip"... I think you would have better luck with either two DME's (e92 and e46) or an Infinity rather than getting the older MS54 to try and control two more cylinders
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 12:57:08 AM   #26
TC2
BF.c Class of 2012
 
TC2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 682
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TC2 has disabled reputation
Location: Nashville, TN

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Define "extra chip"... I think you would have better luck with either two DME's (e92 and e46) or an Infinity rather than getting the older MS54 to try and control two more cylinders
The MSS52 was used in the M5 and that DME is nearly identical to the MSS54.
__________________
'84 325e 32k miles|'98 328i 80k miles|'01 Z3 84k miles|'05 M3 63k miles|'05 M3 103k miles|'03 M5 86k miles|'99 M Coupe 104k miles|'00 Z3 54k miles|'00 M Roadster 43k miles
'05 IB|ZCP|Impuls Cloth|Slicktop|SMG II
'05 IR|ZPP|Black Leather|No HK|6MT
Front wheel bearing installation tool for rent. PM me.
Jump to top TC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 01:06:59 AM   #27
terraphantm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,827
In the garage:
Reputation: 11 terraphantm is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Since the s65 is map based (and has no maf), I assume they plan to build this around csl engine management... And the csl can display oil level in the cluster. Soooo, they might not NEED to use a dipstick.
Probably won't display the right oil level without some work though (since the CSL software is calibrated to how much oil the S54 pump holds and whatnot). We don't really have any of those extra curves and scalars identified.

If I were doing the swap, I think I'd try to retain the MSS60 personally and translate the messages between the new and old busses. I don't like the idea of losing knock control (and can't really add sensors without casting a new block afaik)
__________________
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 01:47:12 AM   #28
GrdStorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 23
Reputation: 0 GrdStorm is on a distinguished road





Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Bad azz
Jump to top GrdStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 02:55:02 AM   #29
m3dragon
CSL M3 / Raptor / 12C
 
m3dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,611
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 m3dragon is on a distinguished road
Location: Sacramento

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

I have both DME's and will be some figuring out there. As we know Epic has been running a S65 in a race car using a MS54HP dme so it can be done. As with this project it has been done before but no data shared. Changing that one post at a time.
__________________

NorCal drive organizer guy
Drive database and photo locations
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Jump to top m3dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-30-2015, 03:28:07 AM   #30
svre46
Registered User
 
svre46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 609
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 svre46 is on a distinguished road
Location: Bartlett

United States




Default Re: E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY

Judging by your last build this one should be amazing. Thanks for taking the time to document the whole thing. Looking forward to the final result.
__________________
In The Garage
02' ///M3 Vert (SOLD)
07' 750li Individual (Daily)
06.5' Aston Martin V8V Coupe (Toy)
16' X1 xDrive28i (Wife's)
Jump to top svre46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing E46 M3 - S65 Conversion Notes / DIY in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)