BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jan-22-2013, 05:23:45 AM   #21
Sirius
How many licks..

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 three spoke steering wheel swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
I didn't see the pics before. Yes, the clock spring is there. The wheel is a little beat up, but for $150, who's complaining.

Trevor's DIY is very helpful. It doesn't go over centering the clock spring, as he bought his new and they come centered, but it's something I'd recommend doing. It should be centered. But you never know. If its off, you'll rip the wires out with the wheel at full lock.

Rotate it and count the turns from its pisition in one direction, then the other. They should be the same. I can't remember how many turns it gets. But you'll know it if the clock spring is rotated to one side. I know someone that had a used clock spring that wasn't positioned correctly and he ripped the wires out turning out of the driveway. A new one isn't cheap.

Good luck with the swap, enjoy
Yeah. That's one thing I didn't have to deal with. (And I got the wheel from a total loss car when I was at the body shop).

97' M3. '10 R6.
Jump to top Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-24-2013, 11:27:06 PM   #22
ABigCountry

United States

Anyone know know roughly how much it would cost a dealer to do the install on this? (or how many hours the process takes)

I'm in a city all winter and don't have access to tools or space, but I'm dying to upgrade my 4 spoke to a 3-spoke. I reached out to a local dealer but no word yet. I only say dealer, not local shop, because I really don't want 1) trouble with airbags and 2) fraying wires and dashboard lights in 6 mo. because of a shoddy job.
Jump to top ABigCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 05:15:07 AM   #23
NNJL

Canada

So I installed the new wheel. looks great but it makes alot of clicking sounds. I took a look at Sirius's thread and came across a comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumpymold View Post
Anyway, I think you actually MAY need a new switch bracket. I used my existing one and it worked...but it's sorta noisy. I see a couple spring loaded knobs on that bracket though. The lower one that was metal is now broken because my new wheel just broke it off.
which is what exactly happened to me. I know that metal one was actually the switch that sounded the horn when it was pressed down. I didn't change the slip ring or switch bracket. would that be the problem? I called the vancouver BMW dealership and told them about the swap I was doing and asked if I needed any other parts and they said no.
Jump to top NNJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 05:41:16 AM   #24
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJL View Post
So I installed the new wheel. looks great but it makes alot of clicking sounds. I took a look at Sirius's thread and came across a comment

which is what exactly happened to me. I know that metal one was actually the switch that sounded the horn when it was pressed down. I didn't change the slip ring or switch bracket. would that be the problem? I called the vancouver BMW dealership and told them about the swap I was doing and asked if I needed any other parts and they said no.
Maybe i'm confused, but it sounds like you didn't use the correct parts and are wondering why there is an issue with the swap.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 06:18:44 AM   #25
NNJL

Canada

I'm asking if I am using the wrong parts. I'm not sure because its noisy, but everything went on.
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 12:39:55 PM   #26
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

Did you even read the write ups? Of course you need the new slipring and bracket. The bracket is pretty cheap, the slip ring is probably about $200.

Let's make this really simple, if you don't have a US 98.5 or later, you need the bracket and the slip ring. Done.
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 08:36:13 PM   #27
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I'm asking if I am using the wrong parts. I'm not sure because its noisy, but everything went on.
If you didn't swap the slip ring and switch bracket, then of course you're not using the right parts. That's the entire reason why people like Trevor do DIY writeups on the swap, as it isn't plug and play.

So, you took the slip ring off your old wheel and bolted it to the 3-spoke, which already had the correct slip ring on it? I didn't even know you could do that.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-30-2013, 11:02:30 PM   #28
NNJL

Canada

I think I got everything figured out. The clicking noise turned out to be the wire from the clock spring was a little loose.

shitty iphone pics but,

before:

after:

The wheel tired turned out better than expected, after 15 minutes of cleaning all the grime off.
Old Sun, Jun-02-2013, 12:56:42 AM   #29
denigod

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
Let's make this really simple, if you don't have a US 98.5 or later, you need the bracket and the slip ring. Done.
I have a '97, this was EXACTLY the question I had (I have the slip ring, didn't get the bracket yet).

Thanks
Jump to top denigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-07-2017, 05:15:16 AM   #30
Chaz17

United States

Quote:
I think I got everything figured out. The clicking noise turned out to be the wire from the clock spring was a little loose.

shitty iphone pics but,

before:

after:

The wheel tired turned out better than expected, after 15 minutes of cleaning all the grime off.
Hey man - what year is your car? And what year/model is the new steering wheel out of? I want to do the same swap but am unsure about which wheels require splicing or won't work, etc.

Any help would be awesome as I have a 95 m3 with the four spoke and desperately want to get rid of it lol.
Jump to top Chaz17 is offline   Reply With Quote