BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 03:47:04 AM   #21
warez

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Would you buy a Euro E36 M3 as an enthusiast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
If cars were identical, i'd just go for the US version. Assuming the intention is collectibility then performance comes secondary. You'll have a much easier time finding a nice US example because the Euro cars are more scarce. Plus the logistics of actually acquiring it (exchange rate, transportation, inspection, etc) will be more work. Arguably you're better off spending that money on a car you'll be able to enjoy more.

The only car i'd consider importing is a GT. But they are Porsche money now, so all things considered you weigh all options when it comes time to write a check...
Good point! But there are many companies out there that can handle importing and logistics part of this.

Just wondering would companies like EAG be importing and selling an Euro E36 M3 a few years from now? Probably some crazy price tag I guess.
Jump to top warez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 03:48:24 AM   #22
warez

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
Less than two year until GT's are eligible and I would absolutely import a well preserved/maintained version, even if it's past collector status.
Ha...looking forward to the first E36 M3 GT owner in the US!!
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 03:49:33 AM   #23
westopher

Canada

I'm saying, if I had no e36 m3, and had the option between a quality US spec the same as mine (lets say 20k) a euro spec (lets say 30k) I'd likely save up some more money and buy a driver quality 993 or 964 (lets say 45k)
That said, if in my searches a 60k m3gt in excellent condition came up, I'd probably take that over all of them.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 08:03:17 AM   #24
Hasan Shaikh

In the garage:

United Arab Emirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Seeing the price hike the last few years on Euro M3's here, by the time they become legit for US import, after import, shipping, registration, it could be unobtainium.

How much are they worth in Europe?
Jump to top Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-16-2017, 06:01:36 PM   #25
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
How much are they worth in Europe?
Hard to tell. But people ask crazy prices, even though they are not selling at these prices, but people are not letting them go for less.

It's the EAG type companies, we have a few known one here as well, these do sell at crazy prices. But aimed at collectors/investors.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 09:22:21 AM   #26
Hasan Shaikh

In the garage:

United Arab Emirates

Thanks. I can understand why people would not let go of them at a low price.

Its a very engaging car.
Jump to top Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 10:53:19 AM   #27
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
Thanks. I can understand why people would not let go of them at a low price.

Its a very engaging car.
Indeed and it's an M3. That badge is desirable.

Over here the E36 M3 was never popular untill a few years ago. It was all about the E30 (homologation special, totally different body) and E46 (totally different body).
The E36 was and is just, well just like any E36 with M Aero package on it.

I know a few stories, and it happened to me as well, where people told (and this was even a car mech) that my car was not an M3 and I should remove the badge.

But it's also a bit of a bubble car's are into now. Suddenly everyone thinks every car is some rare, limited model that should command a high price.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 01:03:28 PM   #28
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
Haha....well I'm sure the Euro is nice, but I don't feel like I'm missing too much with my modded S52. There are other cars I'd rather have for the money you're hinting at.
Agreed. The reason I got an E36 M3 was because for the money, it's extremely fun. I can't think of too many cars in the price range that I really like, maybe an S2000 or a car like my Z4M Roadster. The fact that the US motor is very easy to maintain and is super reliable also factored in to my decision.

This car at unobtainium prices, whether Euro or US, doesn't make too much sense to me personally. There are other cars that are higher on my list.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 02:18:04 PM   #29
warez

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
Haha....well I'm sure the Euro is nice, but I don't feel like I'm missing too much with my modded S52. There are other cars I'd rather have for the money you're hinting at.
For someone who already has a S52 M3 in good shape, that's already "good" enough and have a lot of fun.

I happened to have both kind of M3 (S52 and S50) in Taiwan where I come from. I still have both cars but no longer drive the S52 but only the S50 nowadays. My dad drives the S52 more than I do.

The US M3 with S52 is still a very nice car and is actually much more comfortable as a dd. But the S50 is way much more fun with more torque, horsepower and 6 speed. There are also a number of other stock goodies that are only available on the Euro E36 M3 such as the aluminum doors, headlight aim control with Bosch projector headlight, 7600 rpm red line, 280KM dial, oil cooler....etc.

In places like Taiwan where both US and Euro M3s are available, the price of US M3 is actually getting way less, especially for Pre-95 US M3. Many of the US M3 owners actually sold their cars and moved to Euro M3. Some even pay premium to import them from Japan.

I get you all enjoy the S52 M3, but I guess you would probably change your mind if you have the chance to sit in a Euro E36 M3. Not to start another thread about which is better, not the point here. Just talking about the collectibility and potential value in a few years time when both are available in the US market.

Last edited by warez; Mon, Jul-17-2017 at 02:48:37 PM.
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 06:15:02 PM   #30
Bimma360

United States

^I hear ya. I think all things equal, 99.9% of everyone would pick the Euro. I think that almost goes without saying. The real question is, at what point does the upfront premium not make any sense to do so?

For me personally, its at about $5k or so. Anything else over that, and I rather spend a few more and throw in an S54. Anything exuberant over that, which by the sounds of it is actually going to be the case, and I would rather get into a 997 or a handful of a lot of other cars. The E36 chassis is a great one, and I am glad a lot of people are realizing what some of us have been saying all along. But from a $$ perspective, there comes a point where the same money can get you something much better and just as enjoyable (if not more).

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote