BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jul-04-2017, 08:05:18 PM   #1
dallasbrandt

In the garage:

United States

Red face Code P0340 after VDO cam sensor replace, need some experienced help

I am having an issue with a P0340 CEL that I can't seem to figure out, hoping I can get some help on this one.

98 M3 sedan, all original with 194K miles
I replaced the CPS with a VDO sensor when I got the P0340 code, but after 2 weeks of daily driving, the code came back.
Here is the run down, I am an experienced car tinkerer, but this one is stumping me...

- P0340 code only, nothing else ever
- New VDO Cam position sensor put in, worked great for 2 weeks
- After 2 weeks, code went on an off a few times, but now comes on soon after cleared
- Sometimes it ran with decreased HP, sometimes not. But it was not a light switch, maybe like fading power output
- I can clear the code and power is also back, but after a day or 2, the CEL is back on
- Old (BMW OEM) sensor had bare wires under the boot
- wiring looks great and has perfect 0 resistance to the DME, including ground
- Connections and installation are good, again, I have some experience, but not a professional

The sensor is VDO, doesn't say Siemens anywhere on box or sensor. But VDO=Siemens right?
Jump to top dallasbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jul-04-2017, 08:37:23 PM   #2
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Code P0340 after VDO cam sensor replace, need some experienced help

VDO odes = siemens.

MY advice would be see if anyone around has a PEAKE, INPA, GT1, or autologic diagnostic tool and they would be willing to run a quick scan on your car. The generic OBD code readers aren't bad but they only tell half the story when the car throws a check engine light..

Might even be a faulty vanos solenoid? But I'm not sure. My E36 had issues like you described but a new VDO sensor was able to remedy my faults.
Jump to top j0rdan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-04-2017, 10:06:32 PM   #3
Oogie_M
o_O

Taiwan

I'm under the impression that P0340 is for a circuit malfunction for the CPS sensor, so replacing the sensor will not fix your issue.
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-06-2017, 03:36:56 AM   #4
dallasbrandt

In the garage:

United States

I will research the better diagnostic software and see what I can come up with.

The code P0340 is all over the BMW forums, and it has almost always been a faulty sensor, of which a VDO/Siemens is the only one that fixes it. I found 1 or 2 threads where wiring was the issue, and only 1 where the DME was at fault. I don't want to jump real quick to the DME just yet.
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 04:14:21 AM   #5
dallasbrandt

In the garage:

United States

So I was able to warranty replace the VDO cam sensor with a new one, and the light went off! But the light went off for 2 weeks when I replaced it the first time, so we'll see...

But! I got a different VDO sensor! I have almost no suspicion that the first was not authentic, but it makes me wonder.

The first sensor I got was made in Brazil with just a VDO stamp on it with a certificate of authenticity in Spanish
The 2nd sensor was made in Slovenia and is the original BMW one! I can tell because the BMW mark, part # and SIEMENS logo are ground off. (also the markings on the wire and connector are consistent with original BMW)
The other one in the pic is the original BMW one that failed.

I will update this thread as it fails or works out.