BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 05:14:22 PM   #11
vmbray

United States

Default Re: Continuing vanos saga, questioning oil supplyto vanos

I can't actually believe it but I think this is finally resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
I just feel like something is being overlooked.
Yes. This is correct, somethings were overlooked. And thanks for your help, and constantly posting, and the tips on the air testing etc. I am linking your post number 5 here which also mentions following Dr Vanos instructions which I believe show the cam sprocket arrows correctly as well https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8#post28715188

Took it all apart again last night and meditated over the vanos like a monk. Watched several youtube videos and decided to double check the secondary timing gears and etc, leave no assumptions. I noticed that the exhaust cam screw holes were slightly not at the end of the exhaust cam sprocket slot when the intake slot was maxed out if that makes sense. Keep in mind that the vanos was passing the air travel test with flying colors, over 9mm travel. I remembered that when assembling it I found some sources saying line the exhaust sprocket arrow up pointing up (bentley) and some sources say point the arrows toward the sealing edge of the valve cover surface. Long story short, I had the arrow up, but found that you can get the slots centered up perfectly by aligning the arrows to the head surface. This has to do with the fact that the exhaust sprocket has four bolts, the intake has three, and both have the same number of teeth, so no combination of pointing the arrow up will get you there.

Arrow up, bad alignment, exhaust cam threaded hole not going all the way to the end of the slot:

Arrows to head surface, full travel on slot:

After that, I did not get a vanos jammed error after two drive cycles flogging it hard up hills through the rpm range etc. I was however left with the error 65 camshaft. Now here is where my earlier assumptions have been chewing my backside. Early on I removed this cam sensor from my coupe which was driving perfectly and no CEL, thus THIS WAS ASSUMED TO BE A GOOD SENSOR. After more reading just on error 65, I found where the wires will just lose their insulation and be bare copper under the hood on the end of the cam sensor wire. Took it apart this am and...

So what must have happened is that the sensor wire insulation was ready to fall off when it was installed on my coupe, but since it hadn't been moved or messed with it was working. Moving it to the sedan just introduced a new problem to the sedan.

It's almost surreal to finally get this sorted out...

Rear End Overhaul

Last edited by vmbray; Thu, Jun-29-2017 at 05:22:39 PM.
Jump to top vmbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 09:35:49 PM   #12
pbonsalb

I am sure it is great to have vanos working. Not all of us drive our cars only above 5000 rpm.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-29-2017, 10:30:12 PM   #13
vmbray

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I am sure it is great to have vanos working. Not all of us drive our cars only above 5000 rpm.
Oh I didn't realize that was a viable solution or I would have just done that

Rear End Overhaul
Jump to top vmbray is offline   Reply With Quote