BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, May-31-2017, 10:49:18 PM   #11
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Road Trip in the M3 to Pinehurst Concours in NC

Thanks for the compliments. It was a great experience to be out on the road with no expectations beyond finding the most fun roads to drive. I think I might try to do another trip in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
That parkway speed limit is a real hinderance to a great handling car...

On your next trip down break free of the Parkway in Southern Va...
Take Route 8 from Floyd VA to Stuart VA.
On the way back, take Route 40 from Woolwine to Ferrum, then on to Roanoke.
The wife hurls as passenger on those roads every time...

In NC, see if you can work in a trip down the "Tail of the Dragon"
I hear Tail of the Dragon is great but way too busy.

I was on Route 8 at some point, but probably not on the stretch you are referring to. I took the highlighted route from Mt. Airy to the BRP. Route 614 over the mountain was incredible. Regrading the secondary roads off the parkway, I did a fair amount of that. I explored all day Sunday and made my way to the parkway mid-evening as a homestretch to Roanoke.

I spent Wednesday morning and Sunday evening on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Traffic was unbelievably light on both occasions. You can have a blast doing 55-65 in 4th gear. I was trying to beat darkness on Sunday evening; had on a great album and got clocked doing 64 in the 45 coming out on to a long straight (police clock oncoming traffic) The officer loved the car, asked if it was all original, etc so I thought I had a chance at a warning but he wrote it for 62mph, I guess to help me with the fine a bit. It's no points, federal ticket so it doesn't go to my home state (very important in my business)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Looks like it was a great outing. I am surprised that the Vintage has not let in E36's yet. Snobbish if you ask me. I have seen too many clapped out e30's in photos from the show.
I agree, but can you imagine all the clapped out E36's that would show up? I don't fault them for trying to keep away that beat up, stanced nonsense and the bro's that come along with it. It's a tough call because I would like to be a part of it at some point.

Here are some basic shots of cars that were there.

Road Scholars Cayman GTR. It started as a regular Cayman. They put a 4.2L in it and did the widebody. The hood is the only untouched body part.

RS America w/ 9,400 miles.

McLaren MSO

This was outside Road Scholars. It's the steel body buck they built to restore a 1950 Porsche 356 Gmund. Owner of the restored car is Hans Peter Porsche

Safe to say it's probably the only FXX I will ever see

Old Thu, Jun-01-2017, 05:31:34 PM   #12
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

I went to vintage with my E36 and parked outside the showgrounds. I don't think E36s should ever be allowed, keep it as E34s and older.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-10-2017, 08:41:44 PM   #13
carpetbagger

United States

This has been on my list of events to attend. Will have to check it out next year (which is shaping up to be pretty busy with the Mitty, PVGP, and maybe some other stuff).
Jump to top carpetbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-12-2017, 11:24:33 PM   #14
E_Richt

In the garage:

United States

Wow, that concours is pretty impressive! Awesome looking car and pictures.

I was restoring the suspension on mine last Spring (replacing every bushing, painting the differential, new axles, mounts) for a very similar trip, though I didn't finish it in time. I had to take the S4 as a replacement . Took the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoke to Asheville and also hit the Dragon.

I may have to take the trip down again soon (this time in the M3) since you've introduced me to Pinehurst.
Jump to top E_Richt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-15-2017, 02:04:27 AM   #15
98M3csm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
I just got back from a trip where we did tail of the dragon and back of the dragon. The tail is too busy and long, the surrounding roads are way better. Also the back of the dragon was amazing, no traffic and just the right length.
I concur.
Jump to top 98M3csm is offline   Reply With Quote