BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 08:49:19 PM   #31
Tommy604604

United States

Default Re: Would you buy a Euro E36 M3 as an enthusiast?

I was lucky enough to find an S50B32 and have it swapped in here in the US. As a comparison not to be too drawn out but if you can find a euro car or motor that's in your price range go for it! Unless someone came to me with a heavy check, I have intentions to keep this car for a long time.

Jump to top Tommy604604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-17-2017, 09:11:06 PM   #32
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
^I hear ya. I think all things equal, 99.9% of everyone would pick the Euro. I think that almost goes without saying. The real question is, at what point does the upfront premium not make any sense to do so?

For me personally, its at about $5k or so. Anything else over that, and I rather spend a few more and throw in an S54. Anything exuberant over that, which by the sounds of it is actually going to be the case, and I would rather get into a 997 or a handful of a lot of other cars. The E36 chassis is a great one, and I am glad a lot of people are realizing what some of us have been saying all along. But from a $$ perspective, there comes a point where the same money can get you something much better and just as enjoyable (if not more).
Perfectly said

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 05:26:36 PM   #33
StJamesM
Store Bay

Trinidad and Tobago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
In California, the Euro spec cars will never be able to pass smog legally without major modifications, the process of which would ruin "collector" status. Because of that, I would take the same lump of cash and build a S54 CA State BAR Certified swap and upgrade other aspects of the chassis to mimic or improve upon Euro spec performance. This is assuming you'd want to actually drive the car and not just look at it.

Or, get a P.O box in Arizona...
does this (in your opinion) deter from the "collector" value , aspect?

i've always wondered about that

(this question is for everyone too)

Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust [no Cats], GruppeM Intake, Evolve-R ECU, Eriscsson front bumper, Ericsson Amuse trunk lid, Strasse forged SM8, Bilstein B12 sportline
past
- F355GTS-6mt
- JCW CooperS

Quote:
in a perfect world i'd have a singer and a fully restored goat, period
Jump to top StJamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 05:41:12 PM   #34
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJamesM View Post
does this (in your opinion) deter from the "collector" value , aspect?

i've always wondered about that

(this question is for everyone too)
Depends what kind of "collector" you're talking about. Someone who wants everything perfectly original as it came from the factory will obviously not like it. If the swap is done to OEM specifications and is integrated properly into the car then I doubt anyone would say it decreases the desirability of the car. You rarely see S54 swapped cars go up for sale and although they are around fully integrated ones are not and have certain draw backs to owning, (not carb legal, no AC etc.
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 08:09:37 PM   #35
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
Depends what kind of "collector" you're talking about. Someone who wants everything perfectly original as it came from the factory will obviously not like it. If the swap is done to OEM specifications and is integrated properly into the car then I doubt anyone would say it decreases the desirability of the car. You rarely see S54 swapped cars go up for sale and although they are around fully integrated ones are not and have certain draw backs to owning, (not carb legal, no AC etc.
Not to shamelessly plug my swap (build thread link in sig), or gpeterson's.... but both of us DIYd ours and have full S54 swaps with factory integration. E46 Mk60 DSC, Cruise, AC, certified CARB legal, Z3M cluster to control it all, etc etc. Are either of ours perfect? No, and I know of a few areas on mine I'd like to further improve on, but to say fully and California-legal integrated ones don't exist is not accurate any longer.

Now does it reduce collectability? Probably; it's not a factory swap. Are any US M3s, aside from LTWs, collectible in the first place? I don't think so (and I own two), not if they're in the >150k mile range.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Wed, Jul-19-2017 at 08:20:37 PM.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-20-2017, 03:19:59 PM   #36
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Not to shamelessly plug my swap (build thread link in sig), or gpeterson's.... but both of us DIYd ours and have full S54 swaps with factory integration. E46 Mk60 DSC, Cruise, AC, certified CARB legal, Z3M cluster to control it all, etc etc. Are either of ours perfect? No, and I know of a few areas on mine I'd like to further improve on, but to say fully and California-legal integrated ones don't exist is not accurate any longer.

Now does it reduce collectability? Probably; it's not a factory swap. Are any US M3s, aside from LTWs, collectible in the first place? I don't think so (and I own two), not if they're in the >150k mile range.
I'm not saying the swaps don't exist. I've read through your build thread along with countless others when deciding between turbo s52, s54 or LS swapping. What I'm saying is there still aren't many when you consider the number of e36 M3's in the US. In my opinion that makes them rare and desirable in my eyes. Especially considering the S52 was the only thing "wrong" with the US m3 and the s54 is far superior to the s50b32. Therefore a properly swapped car like yours and others on this forum would still be seen as collector worthy to me because you've basically made the car better while still using OEM parts.
Old Thu, Jul-20-2017, 04:03:42 PM   #37
StJamesM
Store Bay

Trinidad and Tobago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

so i should stop driving mine once i hit 100k miles

I want to do the M50 manifold update (with the kit), and probably leave it at that.. If i can find a euro transmission, i'd probably consider that swap as well, but im not sure its worth the money? I dont plan to sell really, i just want to have an iconic example in the stable lol

Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust [no Cats], GruppeM Intake, Evolve-R ECU, Eriscsson front bumper, Ericsson Amuse trunk lid, Strasse forged SM8, Bilstein B12 sportline
past
- F355GTS-6mt
- JCW CooperS

Quote:
Old Thu, Jul-20-2017, 04:06:50 PM   #38
StJamesM
Store Bay

Trinidad and Tobago

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
I'm not saying the swaps don't exist. I've read through your build thread along with countless others when deciding between turbo s52, s54 or LS swapping. What I'm saying is there still aren't many when you consider the number of e36 M3's in the US. In my opinion that makes them rare and desirable in my eyes. Especially considering the S52 was the only thing "wrong" with the US m3 and the s54 is far superior to the s50b32. Therefore a properly swapped car like yours and others on this forum would still be seen as collector worthy to me because you've basically made the car better while still using OEM parts.
also a fair statement..

i originally wanted to do ITBs , but at that point i might as well pay abit more for an S54..

past
- F355GTS-6mt
- JCW CooperS

Quote:
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 01:38:34 PM   #39
warez

In the garage:

United States

Some of you might have watched this before but this is a interesting video comparing the differences of US M3 vs. Euro M3.

8 Ways American E36 M3 Buyers Got Screwed Over

Jump to top warez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-26-2017, 01:57:44 PM   #40
westopher

Canada

This video is just clickbait shit made by some frat boy that's got his foreskin in a knot over buying a rusty piece of garbage.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote