BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Jun-11-2017, 08:03:15 PM   #161
betrezra

United States

Default Re: My $8.8K 176K mile Craigslist E36M3 Journey Begins

craac - thx for the input. The cool part is the 3 proven options for this platform!

I really just need to get on the track and see what I think. I am not going to enjoy getting passed by civic's on the straights...... that is where a swap will enter my brain.

I've only done above a dozen DE's.... with bigger HP cars::: C5 Z06's, AMG's.... but I was finding the real joy in learning to drive.... VS drag racing the straights. Time will tell how much I enjoy this with the stock motor as more of a momentum car.

Spent some time on the car today diving into the doors and controls -
** pulled the beat stock door cards. Man is the old brittle plastic a challenge on these cars. I found the upper plastic door card mounts all brittle and falling apart. And the new rebuilt door cards are missing this pc. I might try to fabricate out of thin aluminum sheet and epoxy.

** tried to troubleshoot the drivers door lock actuator.... lubed and massaged... no dice.. so I'll try to just replace the actuator. $80 from ECS for a VDO.

** the psgr window motor/regulator does the usual stop part way up..... tried to lube everything up..... then noticed the window motor mount appears to be riveted in place and the rivets are loose. So drilled add'l holes and added some support.... seemed to work... then after a few ups/downs same thing. I'll have to do a search to see if the motor is just weak causing the midway stop status.

** Pulled the sideview mirrors as the goofy paint shop failed to paint these.... I wonder why I have anything done by so called professionals .... they were kind enough to paint these if I drop them off... so NICE of them

** Starting to transfer the old door car hardware to the new rebuilt door cards..... speakers, easy, had to order some fiddly plastic covers, abs crew cover.

Just swapped the rebuilt airbag wheel back on the car.... THX SHEPOT!

Sounds like my high or low horn is out..... sounds like a yugo.... will be sourcing a pair of used horns.

Power steering pump is moaning and groaning..... on steep inclines it is getting starved and is not happy. res is full..... so prob time to overhaul the pump, lines.....

My shop expansion starts next week...... so putting off any major work until my shop with AC and lift is done......

Cheers.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-11-2017, 08:22:25 PM   #162
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
craac - thx for the input. The cool part is the 3 proven options for this platform!

I really just need to get on the track and see what I think. I am not going to enjoy getting passed by civic's on the straights...... that is where a swap will enter my brain.

I've only done above a dozen DE's.... with bigger HP cars::: C5 Z06's, AMG's.... but I was finding the real joy in learning to drive.... VS drag racing the straights. Time will tell how much I enjoy this with the stock motor as more of a momentum car.

Spent some time on the car today diving into the doors and controls -
** pulled the beat stock door cards. Man is the old brittle plastic a challenge on these cars. I found the upper plastic door card mounts all brittle and falling apart. And the new rebuilt door cards are missing this pc. I might try to fabricate out of thin aluminum sheet and epoxy.

** tried to troubleshoot the drivers door lock actuator.... lubed and massaged... no dice.. so I'll try to just replace the actuator. $80 from ECS for a VDO.

** the psgr window motor/regulator does the usual stop part way up..... tried to lube everything up..... then noticed the window motor mount appears to be riveted in place and the rivets are loose. So drilled add'l holes and added some support.... seemed to work... then after a few ups/downs same thing. I'll have to do a search to see if the motor is just weak causing the midway stop status.

** Pulled the sideview mirrors as the goofy paint shop failed to paint these.... I wonder why I have anything done by so called professionals .... they were kind enough to paint these if I drop them off... so NICE of them

** Starting to transfer the old door car hardware to the new rebuilt door cards..... speakers, easy, had to order some fiddly plastic covers, abs crew cover.

Just swapped the rebuilt airbag wheel back on the car.... THX SHEPOT!

Sounds like my high or low horn is out..... sounds like a yugo.... will be sourcing a pair of used horns.

Power steering pump is moaning and groaning..... on steep inclines it is getting starved and is not happy. res is full..... so prob time to overhaul the pump, lines.....

My shop expansion starts next week...... so putting off any major work until my shop with AC and lift is done......

Cheers.

I hear ya man. I know I over took p cars, and vettes with ease with the s54 powered e36.

Hence why I'm not a major fan of the LS swap. If s54 is out of the cards I'd do a sunbelt stage 2 cams with a decent exhaust. With a proper tune guys are seeing 28x whp, and 24x wtq.

I might even go that route myself. If not I'll go turbo with one of the following turbos 35r, 6262, or 6266. Run about 10-12 psi . That should be good for about 390-450whp.

Plenty to spank any P car/ vette. Plus other cars not mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun, Jun-11-2017, 11:52:39 PM   #163
betrezra

United States

Another update: AC was having trouble keeping up in 90 deg F.... this forum and u toob are really helpful...... topoff the charge with the handy dandy auto-parts store charge tool... felt colder, but still no high power blow like a proper gentleman would expect. U-toob search and found the cabin filter was plugged up solid with acorns, and some unknown crusty brown substance... new one on order. In mean time rolling dirty with no filter... and oh the cool AC is flowing in my bimmer.

I know this is nothing new to the OG's here.... but the access to little projects with REAL improvements is sig in this platform. Time for a beverage and supper.
Old Sun, Jun-25-2017, 08:34:07 PM   #164
betrezra

United States

More progress today:
* replaced the drivers side door lock actuator. Not a fun job.
* installed a replacement Hi Note Horn. Upon pulling the old failed hi horn.... it was full of water and leaves...... so no worky.
* upon pulling the drives side inner wheel well plastics I can see I'll need to replace all the inner fender plastics, and the lower valence plastics around rad...... this will have to wait until shop is done..... don't want to do this work on jack stands in 100% humidity TX heat.
* used 2 part epoxy to affix the drivers door car upper mount flange. came out well. 2 part epoxy, painters tape on the leather, then some craft clamps to hold it together over night until it cures. Just need to p/u the painted sv mirrors then I can put the door cards back together.

side-note.... about 2 weeks ago was running down I-10 West towards Katy (suburb of Houston), and had a very clean blue e36 coupe blow by me and gave me the m3 sunroof wave..... not sure if it's a forum member. Pretty cool to see another clean one on the road.
Old Sun, Jun-25-2017, 09:40:04 PM   #165
jason.gayda

United States

Default My $8.8K 176K mile Craigslist E36M3 Journey Begins

Loving your thread!

Not sure if these could be of any help to you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/331627394538

I bought a set for my door panels,
They worked great, also used automotive hot glue and an industrial hot glue gun, worked better than epoxy and held the pieces in about 20-30 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top jason.gayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-26-2017, 03:52:25 PM   #166
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
You won't get passed by civics. Last event I did I was running with a k20 swapped hatch, gutted and caged (full track rat status). I was on his bumper through corners and neck and neck on the straight aways with the M3 creeping up on him. It was a blast actually
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 02:47:06 AM   #167
betrezra

United States

Jason-- nice find on the repair kit. Ind glue gun soooo much better than my 2 pt epoxy mess!!! Actually bummed my custom leather covered door cards don't line up w holes on btm pouches when they rebuilt them. So bit the bluet and bought new ecs tuning doe cards. Should have done that in the 1st place!!))))))$$)))

Eng Tom---- good to know. I'm a few mech repairs away from seeing the track in a safe reliable fashion!
Old Wed, Jun-28-2017, 02:13:14 PM   #168
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Quote:
Any excuse to drive this car... at the fill-up station:
Man that looks great! I rarely see anything but F body M's these days in Houston, hope to see it out cruising some day
Old Sun, Jul-02-2017, 06:19:14 PM   #169
betrezra

United States

Looks like Photo-bucket wants $$ to host pics now. So I'll research other options.
-----

Some more work on the old E-36 today:
1 - my 1st oil change on this car. 2000 mi since purchase and since last change. Oil looked OK.
2 - changed my vanos oil line.... pretty wet.... perhaps this is part of my oil use issue. Will monitor over next 1000 miles.
3 - I've got a power steering pump leak, and high pressure line weeping..... and rack is getting loose. I was going to upgrade before hitting the track anyway. (added to list).
4. Installed the lower cross member x-brace upfront. Easy install. Placebo effect..... install is a win.

Cheers.
Old Sun, Jul-02-2017, 06:21:31 PM   #170
westopher

Canada

Get on flickr. Its easy to use and doesn't turn photo quality to shit.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote