BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Nov-12-2009, 10:58:39 AM   #1
grmnrkt
To start press any key. Where's the "any" key?

United States

Default Quick Release Steering Wheel on SMG Racecar

During my race car build I have designed a quick release steering wheel adapter for the SMG paddles.

Has anybody else done this?

Anybody who has build an SMG race car I am interested in your solutions as to what methods you've taken to complete your design. I'm have a couple of technical questions about how the SMG wheel works and just want to run my findings past somebody else who may be able to shed some light on my thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
Sunroof Delete, SMG, #016 BMWCCA Race Car
Jump to top grmnrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-12-2009, 12:56:41 PM   #2
THEHOUNDER
Ezekial 23:20

United States

subscribed

2004 Silbergrau SMG/ Vulcan Racing Fab Cage /RRT Built S54/Aeromotions/ V-CSL Roof/Works Bell SMG/ Fabspeed Headers/ Epic tune/ /Cobra Sebring /Brembo/ GSP Gen 1 Pedal /Moton CS /Other junk and stuff
2012 Mercedes GL450 - Tow pig
2010 Featherlite 17'6" open
2013 e93 ///M3 -stock
Jump to top THEHOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-13-2009, 12:14:27 AM   #3
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

Someone has this done.. let me find the link.

Edit: Found it

http://vsetrack.com/racesteeringwhee...leshifters.htm

Last edited by Tonester; Fri, Nov-13-2009 at 12:18:33 AM.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-13-2009, 04:40:58 PM   #4
grmnrkt

United States

I was talking to Scott, Crevier E46 M3 b/c he's the only other person I know who has done this. He turned me on to Vince at VSE, but I never saw his site until you posted it.

Anyway I figured out what my problem was. Al is non conductive once it's anodized. I have modified an off the shelf QD to make my design work and was working with their parts. Once I figured out that Al is non conductive I made a new part for the design to work, unfortunately I chose the wrong (easier to make of the two anodized parts) part to redesign. I was monkeying around last night with the fluke and decided just to let the wheel dangle by the wire and just touch the ground to the steering column, it works every time. So now i know the other anodized part has been my problem all along.

I'll post some pics when I get the prototype complete.
Old Fri, Nov-13-2009, 09:11:31 PM   #5
THEHOUNDER

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmnrkt View Post
I was talking to Scott, Crevier E46 M3 b/c he's the only other person I know who has done this. He turned me on to Vince at VSE, but I never saw his site until you posted it.

Anyway I figured out what my problem was. Al is non conductive once it's anodized. I have modified an off the shelf QD to make my design work and was working with their parts. Once I figured out that Al is non conductive I made a new part for the design to work, unfortunately I chose the wrong (easier to make of the two anodized parts) part to redesign. I was monkeying around last night with the fluke and decided just to let the wheel dangle by the wire and just touch the ground to the steering column, it works every time. So now i know the other anodized part has been my problem all along.

I'll post some pics when I get the prototype complete.
Sign me up for one!

2004 Silbergrau SMG/ Vulcan Racing Fab Cage /RRT Built S54/Aeromotions/ V-CSL Roof/Works Bell SMG/ Fabspeed Headers/ Epic tune/ /Cobra Sebring /Brembo/ GSP Gen 1 Pedal /Moton CS /Other junk and stuff
2013 e93 ///M3 -stock
Old Fri, Nov-13-2009, 09:57:42 PM   #6
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHOUNDER View Post
Sign me up for one!
Contact VSE... many guys have had one made by him.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-15-2009, 04:48:08 AM   #7
grmnrkt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHOUNDER View Post
Sign me up for one!
I was thinking of developing a design and seeing if there would be a market for it. Apparently not much of one since you are the only one interested.

After looking at the VSE site and discussing with Scott, the VSE wheel is a wheel designed for racing. Radio controls, and it looks like it can also be used with Stack data logging or something like that. I can't compete with that, nore do I want to at this point. Dont know what your needs are, but VSE has some impressive things that they've done. If you need one now That's where I would look, if I would have known about it before, probably wouldn't have tried to do it myself. Plus, now that I've gotten the wheel together, I would do some things differently if I was making another.

I just tinker on the racecar. I learn by doing and this didn't seem difficult at first but I hit a few snags along the way which sometimes happens. What got me started down this path was having to be like gumby to get into and out of the car now that the cage is in. Especially crawling through the window when its on the trailer.

Once I get the questionable part EDM'd I'll get an idea of cost to make some units then see if anybody else is interested and maybe get a few of them made.

Brian
Old Mon, Nov-30-2009, 01:47:09 PM   #8
paradox1828

Any updates on this project?

On a side note, has anyone looked in to the Works Bell Neo Shifter. I have heard they have an application specific set up for the e46 M3 now (but I think its very pricey)
Jump to top paradox1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-30-2009, 02:42:28 PM   #9
THEHOUNDER

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox1828 View Post
Any updates on this project?

On a side note, has anyone looked in to the Works Bell Neo Shifter. I have heard they have an application specific set up for the e46 M3 now (but I think its very pricey)
Looks pretty slick!

2013 e93 ///M3 -stock
Old Wed, Dec-02-2009, 09:27:43 PM   #10
grmnrkt

United States

The part is out for quote at my machinist. The hex has to be EDM'd and he doesn't have one. I've kinda gotten side tracked on some house projects so I'm not riding him hard to get it done. I told him I needed it by Christmas break.

I would definatly do a couple things differently. Once I get the working prototype complete I'll assess the cost to reproduce these. Obviously cost is dependant on the number of units produced. I had to redesign most of the pieces of the original one I bought from VAC so its similar to theirs, but different.

Here area few pics.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMG_quick_release_wheel 003.jpg (307.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg SMG_quick_release_wheel 005.jpg (342.2 KB, 335 views)