BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-17-2016, 02:45:49 PM   #11
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Seat belt retraction system

I was curious if the 'insides' of the system were gummed up. Sounds like a definite possibility. I've only owned this car for three out of it's fourteen years so who knows what the previous owners did.

How difficult was it to get to that metal bar and remove it?

Slicktop * Cloth Seats * AS SSK * Besian

2018 Mercedes Benz E63S Edition 1 Night Black Magno
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed
in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Jump to top SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-17-2016, 03:01:34 PM   #12
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
I was curious if the 'insides' of the system were gummed up. Sounds like a definite possibility. I've only owned this car for three out of it's fourteen years so who knows what the previous owners did.

How difficult was it to get to that metal bar and remove it?
On the wagon, it was very easy. Just pulled off the B-pillar trim, and the metal bar was in plain view, held in place with two screws.

Have not pulled the trim off a coupe, but I imagine it would not be too different.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-17-2016, 05:49:58 PM   #13
albino09
Engineer

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
The E46 seat belt retractors have always been slow, even when new. When I get out of the car, I push the belt in the upward direction and that's enough to get it reeled in when it's working properly.

I recently bought a used 325 touring, and the belt didn't retract correctly. I replaced the belt assembly which helped a lot. At that time, I also found a metal guide bar inside the B-pillar trim that was coated with a sticky gunk. It was probably a mixture of dirt, skin oil, and cleaning solution. I needed to use a Scotch Brite pad to get that crap off. Depending on the condition of the belt, I don't think just cleaning it will be enough.

Now it works as good as a new one.

I think the problem is whether or not you drive with the windows open a lot or smoke or both. The belt gets dirty, and all that junk gets into the belt and retraction system. I do neither in my m3 (which I had since new), and its belt works great.

That's some good advice, thanks! I'll have to take a look at this at some point. I'm owner #3 so it's possible there is some build-up in there.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-17-2016, 06:30:15 PM   #14
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

I mentioned it in my earlier post, but just to be clear, I also replaced the seat belt and its retraction system with a brand new one, as the old belt was curling up and was filthy.

I cleaned that bar at the same time, so I don't know which made a bigger difference. The bar guides the belt, and where they make contact is where that sticky dirt built up, so I'm guessing it contributed to the problem.

I forget there is an upper belt anchor as well. It's also hidden from view by the B-pillar covers. That gets replaced with the belt, and I would think that gets gunked up too. I'll try to find my old belt, can't remember if I threw it out yet.
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote