BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Tue, Jun-30-2009, 06:30:22 PM   #11
Mvez
RS-aholic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber View Post
Bumping this thread. I did a three day event up at Grattan this past weekend and I am concerned about the oil temps that I saw. Water temps looked alright (slightly pegged above center), but the oil temp was borderline near 300 at the end of a 30 minute session -- definitely way beyond the 255F mark. Dropped significantly during a cool down lap. Ambient was around 90 for the weekend.

I rode in mmmpowr's car which was equipped with the Turner kit. I don't remember seeing anything above the 255F mark in his car. Maybe David will chime in here.
Just get the oil cooler...in the long term it's going to pay for itself. Drew has the machined-aluminum brackets at the shop, and he can save you a few bucks with his shop discount. I know you are driving hard, and when you have the oil cooler, you can redline all the time, never shortshift and you'll be hard pressed to get oil temps above the 255 dot.

I just did 3 days in 90+ temps, never shortshifted and my temps hung around the dot all weekend long (and that was with an oil level just below the max line, which is higher than I normally run, so my temps were higher than normal). When I run oil levels of about midway between min & max line, my temps usually run even lower......the S54 is VERY sensitive to oil levels, and affects temps greatly, even with upgraded capacity. So if you recently got an oil change, perhaps your oil level was a bit higher than normal. Drew overfilled my car recently at an oil change, and I made him drain some out...it makes a huge difference, even in street driving. I was able to tell he put more oil in than I liked just from seeing my normal operating temp from daily driving.

The devil's in the details.
'12 Cayenne
'09 Ford F350 DRW - tow rig

Last edited by Mvez; Tue, Jun-30-2009 at 06:33:30 PM.
Jump to top Mvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-30-2009, 07:48:28 PM   #12
hogger453

In the garage:

Bulgaria

That's exactly what mine looked at BW in 108 degrees driving the car very hard.

Two possibilities exist:

Either we are alone in the universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C. Clarke
Jump to top hogger453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-30-2009, 08:19:26 PM   #13
TitSprinksMcGee

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
overfilled my car recently at an oil change, and I made him drain some out...it makes a huge difference, even in street driving. I was able to tell he put more oil in than I liked just from seeing my normal operating temp from daily driving.
The devil's in the details.
This is very true. I had an oil leak repaired at the dealership and I noticed my temps were significantly higher as well. I checked the oil level and it was overflown. Had them drain some out and the temps went back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALaw View Post
OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Coming soon to a post near you.
Jump to top TitSprinksMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-30-2009, 09:47:57 PM   #14
mmmpowr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber View Post
Bumping this thread. I did a three day event up at Grattan this past weekend and I am concerned about the oil temps that I saw. Water temps looked alright (slightly pegged above center), but the oil temp was borderline near 300 at the end of a 30 minute session -- definitely way beyond the 255F mark. Dropped significantly during a cool down lap. Ambient was around 90 for the weekend.

I rode in mmmpowr's car which was equipped with the Turner kit. I don't remember seeing anything above the 255F mark in his car. Maybe David will chime in here.
My oil temp was a tad below the 3/4 dot, but by the time I complete the cool down lap, it's basically back to the middle. As for coolent temp, it never went beyond the middle.

I suspect that M3Seeto's radiator itself is clogged with dirt and bug buildup. Last year, when I installed the TMS oil cooler, I also took out the radiator because I needed to replace the PS cooler line too and that required removing the radiator. So I took a hose and sprayed water from the backside out and it was pretty clogged with stuff.

David

2001 ///M3

OEM: 6-Speed | Titanium Silver Metallic | Imola Nappa Leather | Power Seat Package | Cold Weather Package | Width adj. front seat with lumbar | Xenon | Moonroof | In-dash CD | HK | BMW alarm | Univeral transceiver

Mods: OEM Strut brace | OEM 19" wheels (street) | RAC RS110 9.5"(f)/10"(r) wheels (track) | Brembo 355(f)/345(r) BBK | Motul RBF600brake fluid | ACS rear shock tower brace | D/A Race software | SS Stepped Headers/S-pipe/X-pipe w/resonator/Race muffler | RE pullies | aFe CAI stg1 | Bimmerworld intake elbow | Bimmerworld CF brake ducts | BMW Motorsport thermostat | TCK D/A coilovers w/#600(f)/#700(r) | GC camber/castor Race plate | Powerflex FCAB | GC front sway bar links | h-Sport sway bars | RE Tranny mounts | TCK RTAB | GC RLCA| TCK shock mounts | V-CSL CF trunk | V-CSL CF diffuser | McMahan 4pt rollbar | TMS oil cooler | RE Octane SSK

Last edited by mmmpowr; Tue, Jun-30-2009 at 09:57:08 PM.
Jump to top mmmpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 03:52:59 PM   #15
silber

United States

Hey guys, I haven't had a chance to reply until now. I'm planning to pick up the Turner kit soon. Oil wasn't overfilled (I changed it and checked it before the event). I've also thought about throwing in the motorsport thermostat as I don't drive the car in the winter anyways. Something to ponder I guess.

Here's a short video of a couple laps at Grattan. I did get down to a 1:28.9 but the Chase Cam ran out of memory and I didn't realize it until I got home. There are several areas of improvement (particularly braking into turn 1, after the jump, the hairpin, and turn in for the blind turn before the main straight).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyNCsK5uk50
Jump to top silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 04:05:52 PM   #16
NPalacioM3

In the garage:

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
I wish that was the max mine gets to......
+1. I would be happy to see those ranges.
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 06:21:16 PM   #17
PKumarM3
Banned

India

i learned a trick on cool down laps from Don Fields, MrMCar

i turn the defroster on and set it at 80F on full blast on my cool down lap

the oil temps come down considerably.
Jump to top PKumarM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-10-2009, 09:56:03 PM   #18
ninekrpm
TrakJunky

In the garage:

Pakistan

RyanO is absolutely right...he knows as he had one of the best E46 M3's that he raced to win many races.

I have spent hours troubleshooting the water temp problems (search for my threads)

- new water pump (was not the issue
- motorpsort t-stat (POS gimmick)
- new oem radiator (was not the issue)
- new zionsville radiator (looks can kill)

and finally what fixed the issue was removal of the stupid factory aux fan in-front of the radiator and installing an electric fan...have never seen water temps above dead center...this includes driving in 95 plus degree temps...

my current setup does not include a factory aux fan, pointless clutch fan, oem radiator setup with (10% coolant, 2 bottles of water wetter and distilled water) and 2000 CFM electric SPAL fan.

this sub $200 setup can help you lower your water temps...period.
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 07:26:33 PM   #19
bngl3rt

United States

Default Re: Trackday Temperature (oil+coolant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolocontendere View Post
you might as well check your oil level to ensure it is midway between the min and max on the dipstick. excess oil will definitely cause increased oil temps.
Bump from the dead. Is this really advisable for tracked E46 M3s? Don't fill to the second dot?
Old Sat, Aug-29-2015, 07:45:09 PM   #20
ML///M3
Sunday Drive NYC

United States

Default Re: Trackday Temperature (oil+coolant)

False. Mine is filled to the top and my oil temps are stable at 240 on track (AiM solo ecu readings)

Jump to top ML///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote