BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Thu, Oct-03-2013, 07:51:13 PM   #1
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default REVIEW.DYNO | Evolve Automotive Stage 2 Tune

INTRODUCTION
I have always had such great interest in BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) tuning. As technology progressed, so has the complexity and intelligence of these DMEs. What has always amazed me were how there are an endless amount of maps all intertwined in a spiderweb of ways. What has always piqued my interest was that there are a few aftermarket tuners who have really honed the skill of calibrating these maps for better drivability, efficiency, and power. Many years ago, there was a time when there wasn’t really all that much to gain from tweaking these BMW DMEs. In some cases, you would be lucky to not lose power! With great innovations and forward strides in BMW tuning, expert tuners can now pull out very consistent and tangible power from the E9X M3 DME, the MSS60.

The E9X M3 is very responsive to a few simple bolt-ons, the most pertinent being the deletion of the primary cats. After installing my Evolve Automotive X-Pipe with 200cpsi cats, I knew I wanted to get a tune to not just turn off a pesky check engine light (CEL), but to further enhance the power and dynamics of the motor. With the drastic decrease in back-pressure from deleting the primary cats, I assumed that there was room for some proper VANOS tuning to further enhance and increase power and torque. Knowing that BMW designs their tunes to cater to a wild multitude of drivers, I figure that things may lean on the slightly conservative side. Being the power hungry individual that I am, I was hoping that slight tweaks in Air Fuel Ratio and Ignition Targets can help pull out a few ponies here and there.

Given my experience with Evolve Automotive when they helped me transform my E46 M3, I knew that by choosing them to work on my E90 M3 was going to be nothing short of a splendid experience. After getting their X-Pipe, I found it to be rather appropriate to get their tune as well.

PERSONAL REVIEW
Also knowing how intelligent the MSS60 DME is, I wasn’t expecting the most profound bump in power, especially relative to the drastic gains I felt with the Evolve Automotive X-Pipe. Despite that skeptical assumption, upon the first few hundred miles of driving, there was no doubt in mind a tangible difference in all regard.

I requested the following features:
8500RPM
CEL Delete for Primary Cat Delete
Top Speed Governor Delete
Cold Start Cycle Delete
Servotronic Calibration
93 Octane
Sound - Believe it or not, there is a slight difference in auditory feedback from the motor and exhaust. With the Cold Start Cycle Delete, my exhaust is quiet upon first start up. What is very neat is how the motor sounds different as you go through the power range, both in full and partial throttle. My assumption is that this is because of the different VANOS calibration. In my opinion, it sounds more visceral and mechanical. Very enjoyable!

Servotronic - My car doesn’t have any options other than DCT. No MDM. No i-Drive. So I never really got the chance to experience different levels of Servotronic calibrations. When I saw that this was an option with the Evolve Automotive Tune, I was pretty excited because I didn’t really know what to expect. One of my annoyances with the Stock Servotronic Tune was that at slow speeds, the steering felt way too light and effortless. I prefer to have something that has a little more feedback and resistance. With the Evolve Automotive Servotronic Calibration, I found the car to feel like a sports car again! Steering is a tad tighter at slow speeds. At higher speeds, feedback and steering input is very linear and predictable.

Part Throttle - Upon initial tip in of the throttle from idle, response is very predictable and smooth. Transitioning between different degrees of throttle input is very linear. If I input 25% throttle, I feel like the motor is at 25%. If I increase it to 50%, I feel like there is a very nice 1:1 relationship between the throttle input and how the motor reacts. I find this beneficial for those that spend time on the track. Holding and controlling throttle at different loads is constantly going on. With the tune, I find things to simply be slightly less twitchy and more predictable. In all honesty though, the stock E90 M3 did not have bad throttle mapping to begin, I just find with the Evolve tune to be slightly more refined.

Full Throttle - I certainly noticed more power! Under 3000RPM, there is more urgency for the car to get up and going under full load. Example, when in a higher gear cruising in the highway, the motor certainly accelerates faster from a starting motor speed of 2000-2500RPM. This is for sure apparent when zipping around town and not always having that instinct nor time to downshift a few gears. Above 5000RPM, I feel is when the tune really starts to wake up. When I had the Evolve X-Pipe and Stock Tune, despite the huge improvement from Stock X-Pipe, I felt like it was losing momentum after 7000RPM. With the Evolve Tune, the pull is absolutely constant all the way to 8500RPM. As expected, all “flat” spots in the powerband were eliminated.

DYNO RESULTS
2009 BMW E90 M3 DCT
DynoJet248X at Dean's Performance, St. Charles, IL
4th Gear | 93 Octane
Evolve Automotive Stage 2 Tune
Evolve Automotive X-Pipe w/ 200cpsi Cats
Evolve Automotive DCT Software

SAE with AFR

UNCORRECTED with AFR

CONDITIONS

IGNITION

SAE - Evolve Automotive Stage 2 + X-Pipe vs 100% Stock

DYNO ANALYSIS
Looking at things from an overall perspective, take note of the changes in shape of the curve between the Evolve Tune and Stock Tune. Dips and flat spots are improved and in some cases removed all together. At the latter half of the powerband, the shape of the curve takes a bit of a steeper positive slope. I believe this truly depicts the feeling of not running out of steam on the higher end of the power band. Gains throughout the RPM can get as high as 18whp and 12wtq! AFRs are not too far off stabilized stock targets. The upper power band was leaned out ever so slightly. Ignition targets are really not changed all that much from the Stock Tune. I think at most it hit about 1-1.5º higher. I am assuming that majority of the gains are from proper VANOS tuning for the primary cat delete.

VIDEO
Keep in mind that this video was taken within the first 10-15 miles for flashing the car, so not much time for the car to adapt to the near targets. None the less, power and acceleration improvement were vastly improved! Car also had a full tank of gas and packed trunk!

OVERALL IMPRESSION
I am not disappointed by any means. With all the recent modifications I’ve done to the car recently, the Evolve Tune just gels it all together. Solely looking at power/torque enhancement at full throttle, the Evolve Automotive X-Pipe was more noticeable than their tune. But looking at the overall driving experience, the tune really smoothens and refines everything as a whole. The reason why I love ///M cars is because of the driving experience. Doesn’t have to be the fastest or quickest. Doesn’t have to be the highest horsepower reading. I just simply ask that it be fun to drive in every instance. The Evolve Automotive tune does just that with compromise! It makes the car more enjoyable with it’s improved drivability, neat features, and improved power.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this lengthy review and perusing through some of the dyno graphs and data. This review is based off about 250 miles of driving feedback. I will most certainly update when I find appropriate. My goal is to continually log data to see how the motor and tune work in conjunction and I’d also like to start doing some timed acceleration runs!

Stay tuned for more!

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-07-2013, 12:44:09 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Default Re: REVIEW.DYNO | Evolve Automotive Stage 2 Tune

Very nice flip, thanks for posting the detailed info.

I also removed the cold start from the e46 when I got it tuned by ESS, but the best feature is the valet mode
I just used it to break in the e46 after replacing its rod bearings
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-21-2013, 12:24:20 PM   #3
Irishace

Canada

What additional gains would be expected with this setup + an under drive pulley?
Old Mon, Oct-21-2013, 02:00:10 PM   #4
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Very nice flip, thanks for posting the detailed info.

I also removed the cold start from the e46 when I got it tuned by ESS, but the best feature is the valet mode
I just used it to break in the e46 after replacing its rod bearings
Haha a great way for accountability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
What additional gains would be expected with this setup + an under drive pulley?
That is honestly a tough for me to determine. I have seen instances first hand where under drive pulleys made zero power on the dyno. Despite that though, people post on the forums all the time of themselves gaining 5-10whp which is incredibly impressive. So in my opinion, I can only say not to expect much, but if you get something consistently and properly measurable on the dyno, then that would be a welcoming surprised.

I may pick up a used pulley in the future to see what I find. Will keep you all posted if I do so

Old Mon, Oct-21-2013, 05:00:19 PM   #5
Irishace

Canada

Thanks Flip, your posts are incredibly thoughtful and tremendously helpful. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my car situation and I am now being drawn to the V8. I like my e36 but there is something about the V8. I am going to re-evaluate over winter and determine what I want to do.
Old Thu, Oct-24-2013, 11:27:54 AM   #6
imran@evolve
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Thanks for sharing FlipM3. A well written review as always. Glad you are enjoying the extra power.

Visit our Site or Contact us.
Jump to top imran@evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-15-2013, 11:58:27 AM   #7
Irishace

Canada

I ended up pickup up a 2008 E92 M3. Definitely going down the path of Evolve X-pipe and Stage II tune. Just debating if I should also pick up the valvetronic exhaust, steep price tag but damn is it a work of art.

Thanks again for this post Flip, it is excellent.
Old Fri, Nov-15-2013, 01:30:30 PM   #8
paul@Evolve
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

Quote:
I ended up pickup up a 2008 E92 M3. Definitely going down the path of Evolve X-pipe and Stage II tune. Just debating if I should also pick up the valvetronic exhaust, steep price tag but damn is it a work of art.

Great choice
Jump to top paul@Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-15-2013, 02:11:13 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Thanks Flip, your posts are incredibly thoughtful and tremendously helpful. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my car situation and I am now being drawn to the V8. I like my e36 but there is something about the V8. I am going to re-evaluate over winter and determine what I want to do.
Quote:

I appreciate the great compliments. More importantly, congratulations on picking up the E92! It is quite a transformation coming from the E36.

You will not be disappointed with the Evolve X-Pipe and Stage 2 Tune. If you ever have any questions, feel free to post here or write me a PM.

I'll be honest, the Evolve E-Tronic Muffler is not cheap. After hearing it in person with both the valves closed and open, all that resilience to the price tag was abolished. It really does sound great and it's dual character is rather noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran@evolve View Post
Thanks for sharing FlipM3. A well written review as always. Glad you are enjoying the extra power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul@Evolve View Post
Great choice
Hi Guys!

Old Tue, Jul-28-2015, 04:53:56 AM   #10
DodgeStratus

United States

Great to hear about the cams! When are you putting them in?

Jump to top DodgeStratus is offline   Reply With Quote