BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Mon, Sep-07-2009, 03:48:00 AM   #11
docwyte
Track addict

United States

I follow Mike Miller "old school" maintenance program. Basically BMW's program from *before* they started their free maintenance and decided the cars didn't need any as they didn't want to pay for it!

So that means diff oil changes every 30k miles, radiator flushes every other year, transmission flushes every 30k miles, oil changes using 10w60 Castrol with OEM filters every 5,000 miles, I clean the air filter every other oil change, but tap out the large stuff every oil change. I bleed the brakes quite a bit due to my track time, so no worries there.

I do plugs and coils as needed, put in new plugs when I installed the VF kit 8,000 miles ago, haven't changed em yet.

'98 BMW M3 Track Rat
'08 Lexus GX470 Daily Driver
'15 KTM 1190R Beastly Moto
Jump to top docwyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-07-2009, 04:26:42 AM   #12
palerider

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34U2NV View Post

the circular piece the red arrow is pointing at is it. just unscrew it, inspect/clean, replace. make sure it's tight upon replacing, or the system will leak from there.
that's the accumulator, isn't it?? I didn't know there was a screen in there. good to know. BTW, mine already leaked from there.
HPF Stage 2.5 #0002
Jump to top palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-07-2009, 04:44:14 AM   #13
t3stman

United States

Great thread as I'll be looking to learn how to do all this stuff down the road Subscribed.

Cosmetic Mods: OEM CSL Bootlid, OEM CSL Diffusor, OEM Euro Fire Extinguisher, Premium Clear Bra, EAS Aurora Angel Eyes 6000k, EAS CF Titanium seat outer trims, EAS CF Titanium upper trim, EAS CF Titanium SMG Dome, Ice-Link, Painted Matching Bumper Reflectors, Painted Hood Grill, 40% Huper Optik Tint, and Ultimate pedals.

Performance Mods: VFE Stg2, SS stepped headers, cats, x-pipes, and NOW KW v3
91 Pump - 478.86 HPs
MS-109 - 511.56 HPs

Future Mods: Eibach or GC swaybars, BBK, and Hard wired V1
Jump to top t3stman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-03-2015, 01:16:29 AM   #14
Boldeagle

United States

Default Re: Official Forced Induction Maintenance/Service Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
I don't see this *important* info posted often so thought I would start a thread to see what everyone is doing to keep thier F/I cars running at top performance. Hopefully everyone is aware that F/I puts a lot more stress on your car's parts that are designed to wear and be replaced. Please post what's on your list of items to check and how often. Here's mine..

Engine Oil/Filter: I believe BMW recommends servicing the oil/filter every 15k miles, even for a n/a car with no mods that seems a little long to me. I may be on the extreme side of caution but my cars gets new oil/filter approx every 2 -3k miles.

Air Filter: Easily overlooked, if you're sucking in a lot more air your filter is going to collect dust and debris a lot faster. Last time I cleaned mine I was a bit overdue. I now clean and oil my filter with each engine oil change.

Transmission Fluid: BMW claims the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car, although they even recommend service @ 100k miles. My car has 50k miles on the clock (most of that was n/a) - I'm planning to change the tranny fluid soon.

Differential: Don't recall what BMW advises - I just changed mine recently. (Wear some kind of gas mask, the diff fluid smells like Sh!t.)

Flex Disk: If you're unfamiliar this is the ultra strong circle of reinforced rubber that connects your transmission to your drive shaft, I replaced mine about 5k miles ago as it was cracked and splitting everywhere. Replace as needed.

Spark Plugs/Coils: I generally replace these as needed. I keep saying I'm going to pony up for the Okada Coils, so far the $1k+ price has deterred me. If you own a HPF car they have recently upgraded to a new high performance plug that is quite expensive, but runs cooler, is pre-gapped, operates more efficiently, lasts longer and puts less stress on your coils.

Tires: uhh.. :shhh:

Brake Pads: :shhh:

Methanol Injection: If your car has this remember to add two teaspoons of "Alcohol Fuel Lubricant" per 1.25 gallons of methanol. See this thread for more info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...fuel+lubricant

Coolant: I live in Texas and it gets HOT during the summer months. In the summer I add a mix of distilled water and 2 bottles of Watter Wetter. In the winter months I go back to the oem BMW coolant.

All I can think of for now. Look forward to hearing other's rec's.
Good posts

Last edited by Boldeagle; Sun, Jul-05-2015 at 04:42:14 PM.
Jump to top Boldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote