BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-03-2010, 08:30:07 PM   #1
ChrisM3BMW02

United States

Default MAJOR Oil Consumption Issues!

Okay so my car has just recently hit 100,000 miles and I am getting ready to have Inspection II performed on my car BUT

A little while ago I brought my car into BMW and told them I thought there was an oil consumption issue. They checked over the car very thoroughly (in service managers words). I was told there was nothing to worry about it as just a faulty oil light that made me think the oil was low. He also stated it is the nature of this car to go through oil quickly. However, I was not talking about the oil light as much as I was the actual dipstick reading.

Here is my issue going on. After a complete oil change I will get to around 900 miles and have to add some more oil, A WHOLE QUARTS WORTH!! So basically I have to add around 3-4 quarts of oil between every oil change/ 3000 miles.

FYI, the rod bearing was replaced on my car.

Maybe I am a complete idiot but I am pretty concerned about this issue. I was told repeatedly at BMW this was fine the car normally goes through a bit of oil.

Now I mainly what causes oil consumption I have built engine before even a Built TT Vq35 engine (G35). However, I am hesitant to jump right in and starting to diagnose and fix. This is not a cheap engine and I am not very familiar with the S54. It's also not going to be a 5 minute fix either and I don't really have the time on my hands.

So ultimately it comes down to the cost factor. I know this car is not exactly cheap for maintenance. I am not sure if it is worth putting the money into it.

Input would be valued.
Jump to top ChrisM3BMW02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-03-2010, 08:36:15 PM   #2
robbieracer

In the garage:

United States

That's a lot of oil. I change my oil every 7,000 miles and add about 1/2 - 3/4 quart between oil changes. Can you see any smoke coming out of the tail pipes? How about looking at the plugs? Large oil consumption could be bad rings. I have 78,000 on my car.
Old Tue, Aug-03-2010, 09:24:09 PM   #3
lmtfi

United States

Sounds like worn rings.

I know a fair number of E46 M3s and they normally do NOT go through oil.

How many prior owners of your car? Do you know the mileage at the first oil service?
Old Tue, Aug-03-2010, 09:25:21 PM   #4
WytLytnyn

In the garage:

United States

^Agree with above. Are you seeing a puff of blue smoke if you accelerate from a stop? This may be an indicator of the valve guides being worn.
Look Ma! No sunroof! "Wood" trim! Unpowered Cloth Seats! NAV!
Michelin Pilot Super Sports on OEM 19's

"If everything is under control, you are just not driving fast enough!" - Sir Stirling Moss
Jump to top WytLytnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-03-2010, 11:09:54 PM   #5
Wengy

In the garage:

Canada

Take a look at the Constant Pressure Valve (CPV). If yours hasn't been replaced since the car was new, then it could very likely be the source of a leak. You can check the CPV by removing the reinforcement plate beneath the front of the car, and then looking up between the headers with a flashlight for signs of a leak around where the CPV is screwed into the block.

There's a good DIY on this forum that details how to do the replacement, without a huge amount of labor. The "by-the-book" method for replacing the CPV involves a sh_t ton of work, but the DIY shows how to do it easily.

Are there any signs of oil on the underside of the car? With all the under panels removed, can you see any oil drips, leaks, or general mess? In some cases I think the CPV may only leak when the engine is warm, or at least I suspect that. Regardless, there are so many under panels, in addition to the reinforcement plate, that you may very well never see any oil drips or spots where you park your car.

Last edited by Wengy; Tue, Aug-03-2010 at 11:14:12 PM.
Jump to top Wengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-04-2010, 01:24:51 AM   #6
PB

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post
Take a look at the Constant Pressure Valve (CPV). If yours hasn't been replaced since the car was new, then it could very likely be the source of a leak. You can check the CPV by removing the reinforcement plate beneath the front of the car, and then looking up between the headers with a flashlight for signs of a leak around where the CPV is screwed into the block.

There's a good DIY on this forum that details how to do the replacement, without a huge amount of labor. The "by-the-book" method for replacing the CPV involves a sh_t ton of work, but the DIY shows how to do it easily.

Are there any signs of oil on the underside of the car? With all the under panels removed, can you see any oil drips, leaks, or general mess? In some cases I think the CPV may only leak when the engine is warm, or at least I suspect that. Regardless, there are so many under panels, in addition to the reinforcement plate, that you may very well never see any oil drips or spots where you park your car.
good post, this caused me trouble too
Old Wed, Aug-04-2010, 01:27:58 AM   #7
blackpixi7

Armenia

Sounds like bad rings to me
Jump to top blackpixi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-04-2010, 01:30:19 AM   #8
henrykwan12

Hong Kong

Definitely not normal, do a leak down test.
Jump to top henrykwan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-04-2010, 03:21:40 AM   #9
meccanoble
///M3CCANOBLE

United States

NOT NORMAL at all. I never had to add oil to my car *knock on wood* between oil changes. An entire quart sounds like a lot. You either burning it or its leaking somewhere. Do you have any mods? Good luck solving this. This oil isnt cheap either

Eisenmann Race 83mm + section II| RE Rasp Pipe| D/A Street Software| Vogtland Springs| KONI Yellow Adjustables| Kenwood KDC X994| smoked LED tails & corners| 330 SSK/knob/boot| Dynaudio 362 Comps (custom kicks) & 2X 10" Alpine type r subs| Alpine PDX 4.150 & 1.1000| Matte gille/grille| Clifford 50.7x pager alarm| Clutchstop (1 1/4")| CDV Delete| Stoptech SS lines/Powerslot Slotted Rotors/OEM pads| Poly RTABS| Armrest Delete| Umnitza V4 Opaque AE|

R.I.P.

04 Mystic Blue w/ Cinnamon SMG (STOCK)
Jump to top meccanoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-04-2010, 10:08:06 AM   #10
ckncwmn

United States

Woah entire quart?
Wash the engine bay throughly and then watch for leaks.
Thats all the tips I could input.
Best of luck to ya!
Jump to top ckncwmn is offline   Reply With Quote