BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:02:22 PM   #1
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Angry How to proceed with (parking lot) hit and run with some information on the driver?

My wife had a spinning class this morning and took the M3 wagon. While she was in the class, someone backed into it and left the scene.

We have the make/model of their car, the fact that it was a man, and half the license plate. There were only 4 men at the location that morning, so we should be able to identify who it was.

If we can, thoughts on how to proceed to get them to pay for it?

On the plus side: Time for M3 mirrors

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:24:55 PM   #2
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: How to proceed with (parking lot) hit and run with some information on the driver

Bummer, sorry you are going through that.

This is kinda long, but I copied and pasted this entry from another member into my Evernote if I ever had an accident. Yours is a hit and run, but there are nuggets of wisdom regardless. There will be sections you can disregard because luckily your wife wasn't injured. I wish I knew who posted this...

You pay for insurance for a reason.* Call your agent and report the collision.* By the way - you policy probably REQUIRES you to report the collision within X hours, if you are able.* So get that out of the way.

A hurried settlement is not in your favor.* Now read that again.

Get you health back.* Been seen by the appropriate doctors and be fully diagnosed.* Get treated as doctors tell you is required.

When you are well enough to drive - get a rental.

Expect the woman's insurer to contact you ASAP.* Do not return that call - yet.* Trust me.* You aren't ready for it yet.* Get your doctor stuff done.

The first thing they will say (in a perfect concerned voice) is "Are you okay?".* The answer to that question can hem you in before you are fully diagnosed and treated.* You don't have toi answer ANY question until you are ready.* Just tell them so ,* *("I'm not going to answer that right now".* If they ask you why - repeat "I'm not going to answer that right now". - and you don't have to explain yourself.

You are being carefully manuevered when you are speaking to her insurer - and they record everything, every time.* The questions aren't random - or casual.

You need to sit down and write down every thing you remember that happened before and after the collision.* Where were you, what was your speed, where were you going, which lane were you in, which compass heading, what did you see, tell me in your words what happened when you were hit, what did you do, did the airbag go off, did you lose consciousness, did you have your seatbelt on, were your headlights on, blah blah blah blah.

WRITE IT ALL DOWN.* Print it.

This will allow you to be accurate, thorough, consistent and have your account credible.* They'll probably comeback later and probe the account.* Pull you version out for that call - and don't do the call without it.

Don't lie.* Period.

Figure out what you have in the car, mods etc.

Let your insurance company fight for you.* Thats what you pay them for.

Ignore the BS "lawyer up" advice.* If you need a lawyer at some point - you'll know it.

Also - why accidents sometimes 'kill' our cars prematurely...

Up to a point, however labor rates can vary depending on who does the labor and the state or area that it is done in. For example, labor for the same job is going to be far more expensive in Manhattan, New York versus Miami, Fl. Unfortunately, what makes collision repairs absurdly expensive is the parts, and indirectly, the "system".

What happens is that insurance companies provide repair estimates based on the Actual Cash Value vs. the repair cost using*OEM PARTS, not generic or aftermarket parts. In some cases, the parts are patented, so there are no generic or aftermarket parts and you must get OEM the parts. In even OTHER cases, an entire assembly must be purchase because the manufacturer doesn't provide the individual part(s) that need repair (See: SMG Pump). Looking at it from this perspective, it is not hard to figure out why cars like the M3 are extremely susceptible of being totaled by insurance companies for what looks like relatively minor damage.*

Audi, Mercedes, and BMW OEM parts are crrrrrrazy expensive for reasons that can many times only be explained away as the price one pays for the "honor" of driving one of their cars. Not only are the parts from these manufacturers expensive, but they rarely go down in price over time and might even go up (See: SMG Pump...again). Hence, it doesn't take long for the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the car to intersect and plummet below the Estimated Repair Cost.

To the detriment of the owners, this paradigm has created an environment where the sum of these car's parts are greater than the whole. While some savvy owners end up parting their car out instead of getting them repaired, it still artificially accelerates the "removal" of certain brands and models cars from the road even though they were*perfectly*capable of being repaired. Sports cars with their low sales volume tend to get hit the worst with this business practice. Most owners would get their prized possession repaired IF they could for an acceptable cost. So this gimmick ends up especially screwing over*enthusiasts*by leaving them with few options. In the end, the manufacturer usually "wins" no matter what. Either their overpriced OEM parts will be used in the repair (or in some cases restoration) of the car...or the owner will be in the market for a new car to which they can sell them one.

Slicktop * Cloth Seats * AS SSK * Besian

2018 Mercedes Benz E63S Edition 1 Night Black Magno
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed
in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Jump to top SocratesRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:35:33 PM   #3
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: How to proceed with (parking lot) hit and run with some information on the driver

It's really the hit and run part I'm curious about how to proceed with-- hit and run with someone we can probably track down.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:39:39 PM   #4
Danwilz

United States

Figure out who it was first then file a police report with the full plate and call ins company they will get the ball rolling on putting a claim againt the hit and run driver. Because it was parked and nobody was hurt makes it a really low priority with the police. its happened to me luckily its only the door.
Jump to top Danwilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:45:09 PM   #5
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
It's really the hit and run part I'm curious about how to proceed with-- hit and run with someone we can probably track down.
Did you check with the surrounding stores to see if any of them have cameras? Check with gym to see if they can share which members clocked in that day? If no luck, I'd at least have your wife keep an eye out for any cars with damage when she frequents the gym in the near future.

2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

― Winston S. Churchill
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:50:09 PM   #6
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
Did you check with the surrounding stores to see if any of them have cameras? Check with gym to see if they can share which members clocked in that day? If no luck, I'd at least have your wife keep an eye out for any cars with damage when she frequents the gym in the near future.
As I said in the original post, we have the make/model of their car, the fact that it was a man, and half the license plate. There were only 4 men at the location that morning, so we should be able to identify who it was.

I'm just not sure how to proceed once we find out who it was.

Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 12:56:24 PM   #7
Danwilz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
As I said in the original post, we have the make/model of their car, the fact that it was a man, and half the license plate. There were only 4 men at the location that morning, so we should be able to identify who it was.

I'm just not sure how to proceed once we find out who it was.
Well when you do figure it out I wouldn't go to his house or confront him if thats what your asking, if he hit your car and left you will be dealing with an @sshole. However if you do find the car pictures of the damage on their vehicle wouldn't hurt.
Jump to top Danwilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 01:03:14 PM   #8
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Sorry man, lol, feel free to delete my previous ramblings. I'd simply report his identity to the police. It might get weird if you contact the guy and he tells you to pound sand, you might be angry enough to do or say something you shouldn't.

2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

― Winston S. Churchill
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 01:05:05 PM   #9
PSUEng

United States

I'd call the police and see what they say--file the report immediately. The police will most likely advise you that they can investigate, track down the other driver and charge with hit and run (check that vehicle for damage, find/interview witnesses, etc.)

At that point, if it were me--I'd file a claim against the other driver. People like that need to understand they can't just act like that and get away with it. I would not contact them on your own in an attempt to avoid a claim and get them to pay for it--especially if they are foreigners. Been there, done that.
Jump to top PSUEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-29-2017, 01:06:17 PM   #10
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesRising View Post
Sorry man, lol, feel free to delete my previous ramblings. I'd simply report his identity to the police. It might get weird if you contact the guy and he tells you to pound sand, you might be angry enough to do or say something you shouldn't.
I don't really get angry