BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 12:42:18 AM   #1
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Default Help me Identify these headlights -- Xenon vs Bixenon

To make a long story short, previous owner swapped out my factory Bi-Xenons for Depo headlights with integrated Angel-Eyes. Now that bulbs need to be replaced, I'm ready to just purchase a pair of OE Bi-xenons and to get rid of the dated angel eyes.

While I am at it, I am considering just doing the full Lightwerkz FXR retrofit and may even go with the full Quad-Xenon setup....anyways, I need to source a pair of OE Headlights and Ballasts (at a reasonable price, given the retrofit plans).

I have found this set which comes with the headlights and the ballasts (obviously it will need new lenses) but I am not sure how to tell if these are Single Xenon (2001) or Bixenon (2002+)

Can anyone help me ID these headlights as Bixenon or Single Xenon or clue me in on how to differentiate the two?
-I am not sure what year car they came off of
-They are not installed, so I can't power them up to figure out which they are.

I am having a hard time finding the part numbers between Single Xenon or Bixenon. Googling the part numbers in the images below, for some reason isn't really helping me to figure out what these are. Any help is appreciated!

Here are the pictures, if it helps (yes, the lenses are bad):

I believe the seller wants 300 for these. But I want to make sure these are Bixenons and not Single Xenons before I spend the cash. If you happen to have an extra set of Bixenons and the ballasts to go with them for a similar price, please comment below or PM me.

Thanks for everyone's help, in advance!

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 12:51:29 AM   #2
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Help me Identify these headlights -- Xenon vs Bixenon

Way too many high res pictures. Feels like I have 56k again.

They're bixenon though from what I can tell.

Edit: Waited for a few more pics to load. Looks like one is bixenon and the other is single xenon. Or there's pictures of multiple sets in there.

Edit:

These are definitely bixenon: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=5A3E8255

These are definitely xenon:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6d&oe=5A3E9DD2
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8d&oe=5A3EDEF5

Last edited by terraphantm; Fri, Dec-22-2017 at 12:56:45 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 12:59:30 AM   #3
rovert604

Canada

That’s what I see too. One glass projector is smaller than the other. The bigger one is bi-xenon. Single xenon only needed to do one thing good so it just needed a smaller projector lens.
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 01:09:56 AM   #4
ChipperM3

In the garage:

Canada

I’m pretty familiar with this; I converted my 01 Xenons to Bi-Xenons.
The first pics with the line across the lense are Bi-xenon, the later pics are xenon. You”ll notice that the single xenon has a smaller projector(2.5 vs 3.0”), and the halogen bowl is smooth.
Jump to top ChipperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 01:42:59 AM   #5
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Way too many high res pictures. Feels like I have 56k again.

They're bixenon though from what I can tell.

Edit: Waited for a few more pics to load. Looks like one is bixenon and the other is single xenon. Or there's pictures of multiple sets in there.

Edit:

These are definitely bixenon: https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f3&oe=5A3E8255

These are definitely xenon:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6d&oe=5A3E9DD2
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8d&oe=5A3EDEF5
Sorry for the large pictures. I didn't want to go through the hassle of reuploading them to Flikr from FB.

Yea I think I uploaded two sets by mistake. The ones with the crappier lenses are the ones that are available to me, so that is good news that they are Bixenon!

Thank you everyone else that chimed in to further confirm this.

Do any of you guys have the FXR retrofit by chance? Is the quad projector worth it over just the standard FRX retrofit? I feel like my depo xenons have good light output (tbh)...so I can only imagine what the OE xenons are going to be like (since they are obviously better). The lightwerkz retrofit must be insanely good, which I am all for. Glad to be able to have the auto-leveling function back, being able to remove the stuck on angel eyes, and finally I wont have random light out warnings on my dash when there isn't any lights out, from the depos (not even sure why they do that, considering they disappear once you engage the high beams or a turn signal -- probably a resistance issue).

Maybe since I am interested in the Lightwerkz retrofit for my car, others might be interested in that too? Either way, I want them for my car. Maybe it's a good GB opportunity (although I probably have enough of those open right now, that there probably isn't much interest in yet another at this moment in time).

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 01:46:31 AM   #6
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperM3 View Post
I’m pretty familiar with this; I converted my 01 Xenons to Bi-Xenons.
The first pics with the line across the lense are Bi-xenon, the later pics are xenon. You”ll notice that the single xenon has a smaller projector(2.5 vs 3.0”), and the halogen bowl is smooth.
Good to know! Glad to confirm that the lines on the lenses also indicate Bixenon. I had no idea about the halogen reflector differences. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 07:07:16 AM   #7
ChipperM3

In the garage:

Canada

You may also want to look at doing the clear lens swap as an option. When I converted mine to Bi-xenon, I swapped the lenses for OEM ZKW lenses and Oshram night breaker bulbs. This, combined with xenon high and halogen high-beam coding, and the manual level adjusting retrofit(thanks terra), has been an awesome upgrade.
Jump to top ChipperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 08:19:02 AM   #8
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

https://www.retrofitlab.com/blog/the...eadlight-page/

Check the logo on the front of your headlight lens. Another way to find out is to check the sticker on top of the housing. A white/silver label is a ZKW headlight, a yellow label is AL. Don’t be confused with the smaller WARNING sticker, this one is also yellow even on the ZKW headlight.

When you have AL headlights, there’s a simple way to distuingish them. The single xenon has smaller projectors, with the notches in the shroud . The bi-xenon version’s notches are not fully circular.

Left: Bi-xenon. Right: single xenon.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-22-2017, 07:09:16 PM   #9
vtn86

United States

Fxr is awesome. Lightwerkz is awesome. Quads are ok in certain applications, but for most, they’re overkill.
Jump to top vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote