BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 05:39:31 PM   #1
Foo2rama
2004 E46 M3

In the garage:

United States

Default Hey guys need some SMG advice.

Long time member that has disappeared for a bit, and apparently my 10 year anniversary here! I stopped coming as it was the same 10 posts over and over back in the day but I have a problem and I am out of the loop now on SMG diagnostics.

Here is the issue, when hot, the car gets the yellow SMG light, then on shut down restart it gets the check engine, then on the next few restarts the SMG light goes out, then the check engine.

Simple salmon relay right? Nope replaced twice and still happening. The car has also 2x times under very hot ambient conditions failed to shift untill it cooled down after I came to a stop and it sat for a minute running after the light had already appeared. I don't drive the car much and the hot weather light started over 2 years ago. The fail to shift happened this summer.

The pump functions and primes as normal on start up, no issues there.

Is this the slave cylinder, or the resistor fix? or suck it up and do the pump time?

The car has 91k miles and I replaced the clutch about 6k miles ago.

The shop I'm talking to has not seen the car yet, and I respect them and their knowledge and work, but at least 1 time I have suspected them of recommending a service ie the clutch without trying a readaption first, and doing the more expensive fix then a cheaper solution. I still think 82k clutch replacement on an SMG is a tad early....

They brought up a SMG to manual conversion as it is cheaper as apparently the SMG pump has gone up in price in the past few years, and it is basically the same cost to replace the pump as convert the car to manual.

I actually like the SMG system and think its a great unique part of the car.

Can you guys help me out on what this wonderful forum has come up with over the past few years in regards to SMG pump diagnostics?

Thanks guys

2004 Mystic Blau Imola Rot ///M3 Coupe Manual converted from SMG in Dec 2017
Jump to top Foo2rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 05:59:30 PM   #2
suaveflooder

United States

Default Re: Hey guys need some SMG advice.

Yeah, sounds like your pump is on the way out. Check the pressure of the pump to make sure it operates correctly. If it does, you probably just need to change out the motor, which can be done on the car if you are patient enough and for about $500-600 or so give or take for the new motor and tool
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 06:20:00 PM   #3
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

your car has the exact symptoms i had last summer. to be sure, just get the codes read. but i ended up changing the smg motor with a burkhart motor. while i was at it i also changed out the accumulator. viola. one year trouble free smg.

fast forward, i recently ran into issues where i was unable to engage into gear or into neutral in the mornings. sometimes i couldn't get the car into neutral to start it. but when i was able to start it, i could not get it into gear to drive. read the codes again and it pointed to the gps/acutuator or compression spring. so i opted to purchase a low mileage gps and actuator (65k) here on the forums. i changed out the gps and compression spring first and it resolved the problem. i'm saving the actuator for one day if i need it

you got to ask yourself.. do i want to keep the smg or go 6MT before doing any work. changing out the smg motor, accumulator, gps and actuator is $$$. SMG is a ticking time bomb

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 06:38:29 PM   #4
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

This is what scares me. I don't drive my car very often but if the day comes where there are more issues than just a motor, do i convert to a 6 speed? Hopefully, that day will never come.

OP, sounds like its the motor failing. I hope thats all.
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 07:08:56 PM   #5
Foo2rama
2004 E46 M3

In the garage:

United States

Is there a part number for the motor? What is the diagnosis for it? Low pressure?

Also the car has zero other issues with shifting.

Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 07:16:03 PM   #6
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2rama View Post
Is there a part number for the motor? What is the diagnosis for it? Low pressure?

Also the car has zero other issues with shifting.
here is the link for burkhart's motor as bmw does not sell the motor separately. i would get fault codes read as well as an acumulator pressure test done. if on hot days the cog turns on, it may be an early sign that either the motor or accumulator is on its way out. on long drives on hot days, it may go into neutral.

here were my fault codes from last year.

73 SMG: Load deactivation
38 SMG: ON period, hydraulic unit (OBDII:P1717)
35 SMG: Hydraulic pressure loss in system (OBDII: P1715)

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...Products/54160

Tischer aka GetBmwParts

Last edited by daytonaviolet; Tue, Oct-24-2017 at 07:31:23 PM.
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 10:34:15 PM   #7
E30User

I had a similar situation as the OP. My problem turned out to be the Gear Position Sensor.

At first, I was getting a random yellow coglight without any noticeable symptoms every few months, which would go away on the next startup. Then I eventually had problems selecting gears while driving.
I described my issue here, with codes:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1067512942

I'd recommend getting the proper diagnostic cable and software for troubleshooting anything related to SMG. Also, if you plan to do work yourself, you'll need the software to readapt things after replacing certain parts. You can ask in the SMG faq thread for some current options of good places where to get that stuff. I think it was less than $50 for the cable and software from ebay for me back when I got it. There's also the pricier options like Autoenginuity, which I also got but didn't use in favor of the other tools. My main problem with Autoenginuity was that I couldn't figure out how to perform a full clutch adaptation like I could with INPA(or maybe it was DIS).

A new GPS isn't one of the cheaper parts($300-500?), but it helped to know I had a good amount of evidence that it was indeed the problem before purchasing anything. Basically, for any SMG related issues where keeping SMG is desired, it's critical to have a way to read the error codes before making decisions on how to proceed.
Jump to top E30User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 10:43:43 PM   #8
whips333

In the garage:

United States

Subscribed
Jump to top whips333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 10:50:59 PM   #9
Foo2rama
2004 E46 M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
here is the link for burkhart's motor as bmw does not sell the motor separately. i would get fault codes read as well as an acumulator pressure test done. if on hot days the cog turns on, it may be an early sign that either the motor or accumulator is on its way out. on long drives on hot days, it may go into neutral.

here were my fault codes from last year.

73 SMG: Load deactivation
38 SMG: ON period, hydraulic unit (OBDII:P1717)
35 SMG: Hydraulic pressure loss in system (OBDII: P1715)

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...Products/54160
Thanks, do you now if those codes are stored or are they cleared when the check engine light goes out?

Old Tue, Oct-24-2017, 11:10:50 PM   #10
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2rama View Post
Thanks, do you now if those codes are stored or are they cleared when the check engine light goes out?
They are stored.

Do a pressure test on the entire system and make sure it's holding pressure first. From what it sounds like, it is. I had the same issues as you are having and mine would test just fine. When that checks out, the good news is that it's your motor. Just make sure to get the tool to remove that wiring harness and enjoy many more years of the SMG