BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-29-2017, 02:32:29 PM   #321
nick.cbr

United States

Default Re: M3 SMG pump reconditioning

Just wanted to update this thread with some info on a US based distributor of the Burkhart Engineering kit. Check it out:

https://www.blunttech.com/products/13219506

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...gories/Partner

I'm familiar with the owner of BluntTech Ind. and he's a good guy. Services a lot of the older stuff but is getting into the newer cars as well.

Just another option if you don't want to order/pay/wait for overseas shipping from Germany on the Burkhart kit. I just put this motor in my car a few weeks ago and did a 5100 mile road trip with zero issues. I def. recommend getting the tool to pop out the electrical pins.

Still working on the seals although I'm not questioning if it's even worth going into the pump assembly and actuators if you don't have an obvious leak.
Jump to top nick.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-02-2017, 05:35:33 AM   #322
stukreit

In the garage:

United States

Failed attempt last week to install Burkhart pump motor. Positioned the motor,
attempted to remove it in order to verify that the small button for linkage of the 2 shafts was correct and not ajar, and the motor plate separated, also causing
damage to the brush carriers. FML.

I'm seeking instructions on opening the pump motor for the original one
to determine how far gone it is before sending it to Eutron.

Also need a source for brushes/brush holders for the BH motor. I may be able
to straighten out the brush holders with smaller tools and even a dremel,
but it'd be better to have clean new parts.

Guess I'll be talking to Eurtron in the morning to determine my options...
Jump to top stukreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-02-2017, 06:05:06 PM   #323
nick.cbr

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukreit View Post
Failed attempt last week to install Burkhart pump motor. Positioned the motor,
attempted to remove it in order to verify that the small button for linkage of the 2 shafts was correct and not ajar, and the motor plate separated, also causing
damage to the brush carriers. FML.

I'm seeking instructions on opening the pump motor for the original one
to determine how far gone it is before sending it to Eutron.

Also need a source for brushes/brush holders for the BH motor. I may be able
to straighten out the brush holders with smaller tools and even a dremel,
but it'd be better to have clean new parts.

Guess I'll be talking to Eurtron in the morning to determine my options...
I would contact BH directly and see if they can help you out with one off parts; unfortunately, I'm not too optimistic they'll be able to help much.

Were you pulling the new motor off of the pump housing and that's when everything separated?

I thought the hold motors pulled apart the same as BH motors where the outside can came off of the bearing plate where it interfaces with the aluminium SMG pump housing but I'm not positive.

My plan was to put the old one in a vice (clamp that outer bearing) and pull the motor apart that way; haven't really seen anyone take one apart online. Obviously someone on here knows but this is a really old thread...
Jump to top nick.cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-02-2017, 06:50:36 PM   #324
///3Mojo

In the garage:

United States

Hey nick.cbr,
I took an SMG motor apart. If you will try the way that you described( put the bottom bearing in a vise and try to pull the top cover with the brush holder upward) chances are the you will break the cover, because the motor has relative strong permanent magnets, that try to keep the rotor in.
I broke a motor this way. The way that worked better ( for me) is: drill a small hole at the bottom of the motor(4-5mm), put a small rod in the hole and with a 2 jaw puller, push the shaft outward, of course after you cut the silicone seal at the cover.
If you need more details, don't hesitate to pm me.
Good luck, Sorin
Jump to top ///3Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-18-2017, 05:21:36 PM   #325
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Nick.cbr, I've read thru some of your posts and it's good of you to be willing to share man. I bought the k+DCAN cable from Amazon and tried to do the INPA install and ran into issues where it wouldn't run. Right now I have an SMG issue and my Indie shop has no SMG experience or the proper software to fully set up SMG related stuff. QUESTION: Will INPA run on Win 10/64? And if so, do you have any step-by-steps on installing it on that platform? I tries on XP/32, 7/32 & got fed up and quit trying . Reading your posts has relit a fire under me to get it installed properly so I can benefit by having it. Any & ALL help from you will be MOST appreciated! Thanks in advance! Bert ('TramRam)
Old Sat, Nov-18-2017, 06:48:57 PM   #326
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Best solution is to install Windows XP under VM Ware. That works great under W10 or even MacOS.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-18-2017, 11:59:58 PM   #327
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for your reply Steve...I'll need my IT buddy to translate this to me or just do it for some beers. Can you recommend a preferred site to download the INPA software? Thanks in advance! Be well! This MIGHT be right under my nose and I'm missing it from being too stretched on so many other sh*t I've had going on.
Old Sun, Nov-19-2017, 12:12:26 AM   #328
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

See http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220039.

Not sure if the downloads work still, but this or something similar will get you running on W7 or W10 64-bit.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-13-2017, 10:26:35 PM   #329
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Default M3 SMG pump reconditioning

not sure if this topic has been covered. but Burkhart makes this "sealing kit hydraulic pump BMW E46 M3 CSL hydraulic unit"

Description:
Sealing kit for the hydraulic pump which is installed in the hydraulic unit of the BMW E46 M3 and E46 M3 CSL.
Replacement parts for damaged or hardened sealings in the hydraulic pump, which can cause internal leakage.

i'm again having problems with my SMG. i've already changed my electric motor, accumulator, gear position switch and compression spring. recently i either cant start the car (won't go into neutral) or if it does start, it wont go into gear.

Burkhart believes that perhaps i have a sealing issue in the valve body, causing an intermittent issue? i'll continue to monitor my fault codes and send them updates as it happens.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts

Last edited by daytonaviolet; Wed, Dec-13-2017 at 11:03:06 PM.
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-13-2017, 11:33:05 PM   #330
scoopy128

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
not sure if this topic has been covered. but Burkhart makes this "sealing kit hydraulic pump BMW E46 M3 CSL hydraulic unit"

Description:
Sealing kit for the hydraulic pump which is installed in the hydraulic unit of the BMW E46 M3 and E46 M3 CSL.
Replacement parts for damaged or hardened sealings in the hydraulic pump, which can cause internal leakage.

i'm again having problems with my SMG. i've already changed my electric motor, accumulator, gear position switch and compression spring. recently i either cant start the car (won't go into neutral) or if it does start, it wont go into gear.

Burkhart believes that perhaps i have a sealing issue in the valve body, causing an intermittent issue? i'll continue to monitor my fault codes and send them updates as it happens.

After you put the smg motor how long did it last before u got the light again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top scoopy128 is offline   Reply With Quote