BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 03:28:50 PM   #1
skelzy
Great White

Default SMG Question

Hey guys,
I have 126K on my Ď05 M3 and am original owner. Never had any real issues so far after all those miles so for me the SMGII has been extremely reliable.. But the yellow cog came on as I pulled into my garage the other night and luckily I didnít get stuck out on the road. Itís kicking out of gear now when I shift it while parked in my garage however I am getting the priming sound which leads me to believe the pump is ok thank god. Iím leaning towards the hood relays or salmon relay so Iím gonna eliminate those as they are cheap and easy fixes. If that doesnít work my next plan would be to swap gear position sensor but that costs about $500 so hoping itís the relays. I have INPA On my laptop but when I connected it it gave an error message that the language is not valid (canít seem to communicate with my car) so I wasnít able to diagnose the problem further. My question is if my pump is priming normally does that mean itís ok and it has to be something else? Thanks for any feedback and let me know any tips you guys have to isolate the issue by process of elimination. TIA....
-John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 03:34:13 PM   #2
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG Question

Yes, do the relays. If the Pentosin in the SMG system has never been changed, I’d do that. Same for transmission fluid. Let the system work a little easier with fresh fluid. That, plus the relays will never hurt and may (just maybe) solve your problem. I don’t know what “language not valid” means. Hopefully not SMG computer. If it is, they’re available on eBay but I also don’t know if they are plug and play. So I would go relays; then fluid; full reset then see what comes back.

But I may be one of the least qualified guys here to answer your question. Let’s see what others think.

Good luck,

maw
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 03:36:54 PM   #3
rh_wa
"Chill out people!"

United States

My cog light had been coming on after some driving so gear position sensor and clutch master cylinder were replaced. No more issues.
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 04:15:23 PM   #4
skelzy
Great White

Default SMG Question

Thanks for responses. Just a note that the last time I turned on ignition the car seemed to struggle to shift gears and then eventually stopped and stayed in neutral. Since the last few shifts were slower than normal could the compression springs in the bell housing be shot? Is swapping the compression springs a hard DIY? It would make sense...

Last edited by skelzy; Wed, Nov-29-2017 at 05:54:14 PM.
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 10:07:53 PM   #5
Gio_avila

United States

My light has been on for a while but it drives fine still

Jump to top Gio_avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 10:32:16 PM   #6
E30User

Do you have access to DIS? Or, could you try looking into getting your INPA setup working? It would be most helpful to get the codes that are causing the light. Also, if it does turn out the be something like the GPS, you'd need something like INPA to do some adaptations during the replacement.

My INPA gives me an error about language mismatching when starting. It makes sense though. Most of my menus are in English but errors are listed in German. I know there's ways to fix this, but I've just been living with it so far. Either way, it still 'works', so maybe it's different from your issue.
Jump to top E30User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 10:43:33 PM   #7
e46Dan

United States

Does it prime abnormally long when you open the car door? Have you checked DIS to see if there's any codes stored for the SMG? Compression springs are not a quick job, you need to lower the transmission down a little at the least to get to them. When I opened mine up I was mad they were just fine. I would also check the smg accumulator and make sure its still good.

Last edited by e46Dan; Wed, Nov-29-2017 at 10:51:08 PM.
Jump to top e46Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-29-2017, 10:43:42 PM   #8
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

i've been dealing with my own smg gremlins over the years and its not always as simple as it seems. i would read the fault codes and compare to this list. even if you hearing pump priming, it may not working as fast as it should and or the accumulator is not holding the pressure.

https://burkhart-engineering.com/SMG-Wiki/en

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 05:27:57 PM   #9
skelzy
Great White

Default SMG Question

UPDATE:
So last night I connected my laptop with INPA and cleared all codes and car seems to shift fine now .. Iím not sure what happened or why the yellow cog came on to begin with but it seems to have disappeared after clearing all the codes thank god. After owning this car since new in Ď05 I have learned that most of the gremlins we experience are false and will fix themselves. Iím still gonna eventually replace the hood sensors and salmon relay as those are cheap and preventative things I can do for now... Anyways, glad I didnít spend $$ on new pump or gear position sensor, etc...

Old Thu, Nov-30-2017, 05:46:41 PM   #10
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

john,

hopefully the cog wont come back but if you decide to replace you smg hood sensors, let me know. i recall purchasing a set when i thought that may be the issue but i never replaced mine. i just need to find them

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote