BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:10:44 AM   #1
islavov
M-Power, M-Gazaria

Bulgaria

Default Neck protection question

Need this for seasonal HPDEs, have seats, harnesses, bar etc. I want to get some type of neck protection/hans device, and wanted to get some feedback on few options:

1. traditional hans
2. Shr Flex from Schroth
3. NecksGen REV or Impact Rev - not very popular (at least to me), looks too small and simple on the first glance, and I am questioning its effectiveness as there are no posts going down your chest... Although logically, in case of an impact, when the belts build tension I can imagine this working. Curious, If someone has this and can provide some feedback, I might consider getting something like this because of it size and ease of use getting in/out, etc.

(not inserting a link on purpose, not affiliated with any of the above, just looking for some feedback)

Thanks,
Ivan

Mods: DINAN Intake, AP Headers, SS Race Cats, ESS Software, UUC Front Sway (rear is 4sale, too stiff 4 me), Ground Control medium rear sway, EvoSport Pulleys, Eisenmann Meisterschaft TI
Susp: TCK DA - Thanks DAN & Obioban @ DER
Track Wheels: ARC-8 Square 18x35x275
Sponsored By: http://www.galaxylinq.com - Custom E-commerce Websites, Recurring Billing, Membership & Subscription Management CRM/CMS Software
Jump to top islavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:53:58 AM   #2
sgsdownhill

United States

Default Re: Neck protection question

Great idea, everyone should be wearing one.

Another to add to your list is a Leatt MRX (1st gen ones recalled). I have a large (fat) neck and am comfortable. Ive been involved in a few pretty hard impact collisions while Lemons racing and no pain or soreness after.

Regarding the rev, I was told that it has alot to do with the angle of your belts. The attachment of the belts has to be below the top of shoulder level.

WTB
Aeromotions R static wing

Last edited by sgsdownhill; Mon, Mar-20-2017 at 04:57:57 AM.
Jump to top sgsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:31:02 AM   #3
islavov
M-Power, M-Gazaria

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsdownhill View Post
....The attachment of the belts has to be below the top of shoulder level.
- that makes a lot sense, which is the case regardless of hans/no hans I would say.

it saw this video trying to find more info:
and that turns out it is not a good example at all, because of exactly what you are saying - these belts are 3-4 inches above shoulder and there is practically no protection in this case. was funny, why they even posted the demo at the end of it. Obviously, the seat setup was not meant for that driver, but this showed your point exactly.

Mods: DINAN Intake, AP Headers, SS Race Cats, ESS Software, UUC Front Sway (rear is 4sale, too stiff 4 me), Ground Control medium rear sway, EvoSport Pulleys, Eisenmann Meisterschaft TI
Susp: TCK DA - Thanks DAN & Obioban @ DER
Track Wheels: ARC-8 Square 18x35x275
Sponsored By: http://www.galaxylinq.com - Custom E-commerce Websites, Recurring Billing, Membership & Subscription Management CRM/CMS Software
Jump to top islavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:40:18 PM   #4
mrRed

In the garage:

United States

I bought the SHR flex. I liked it because it had the variable neck angle which means if I decide to do a formula school or similar in a few years I can use the same device regardless of car. Also, it has a lower rear neck collar area than the HANS which seemed to fit better in certain seats and not position the head down in seats without adequate clearance in the neck area.
Jump to top mrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 01:49:54 PM   #5
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

I got the Schroth Sport 20 from demon-tweeks.co.uk for like $300 shipped. Exact same thing as the HANS model sold here. Shipping was pretty quick from across the pond.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 02:08:30 PM   #6
MaynardZed

In the garage:

United States

Obviously doesn't matter for DE, but the Hans and the Simpson Hybrid were the only two HNR that were approved for racing in my club. After trying the Hans and not being able to get comfortable with it I switched to the Simpson Hybrid Pro and like it a lot better.
OMP Full Containment Race Seat
S52 with bolt ons 237 rwhp (DynoJet)
2600lbs empty
Jump to top MaynardZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:39:57 PM   #7
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

After seeing the Shr Flex I was very impressed with how small and light it is compared to my HANS adjustable. If i could hit re-set I would have purchased that over the HANS.
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:43:47 PM   #8
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by islavov View Post
3. NecksGen REV or Impact Rev - not very popular (at least to me), looks too small and simple on the first glance, and I am questioning its effectiveness as there are no posts going down your chest... Although logically, in case of an impact, when the belts build tension I can imagine this working. Curious, If someone has this and can provide some feedback, I might consider getting something like this because of it size and ease of use getting in/out, etc.
I use the NecksGen REV for HPDE, enduro, and sprint racing. While I've never had the opportunity to "test" its mettle, it of course has been extensively tested in order to gain the seal of approval.

I believe the only shortcoming is that it's NOT FIA approved because NecksGen didn't want to go through the cost and process to have this done.

Overall the comfort is great - even when I'm in the seat for 2+ hours in my enduros I don't notice any discomfort caused by it.

BTW - the bolded part in your post is a bit concerning. I may be misinterpreting, but your shoulder/lap belts should be cinched down as far as they can possibly go before you're out on track. There should be no slack, and you shouldn't be moving around at all while in the seat.

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO)
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:52:59 PM   #9
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim View Post
BTW - the bolded part in your post is a bit concerning. I may be misinterpreting, but your shoulder/lap belts should be cinched down as far as they can possibly go before you're out on track. There should be no slack, and you shouldn't be moving around at all while in the seat.
I think he means when your body starts to apply additional force to the restraint in the event of an impact.
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:12:23 PM   #10
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
I think he means when your body starts to apply additional force to the restraint in the event of an impact.
That's probably the case, but I just thought I'd be overly pedantic as per m3f terms of service

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO)
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is online now   Reply With Quote