BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 11:12:21 PM   #1
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

Default Starter keeps cranking

So a few weeks ago I had my starter die on me. Previously it had been giving me intermittent starting issues. I got a refurbished Bosch unit from ECS tuning and had it installed. For the past week, I've had no issues. The car starts up with no issues. However, last night I start the car, it doesnt turn over, and the starter keeps cranking when the key isnt turned over all the way. It caught me by surprise and I just turned over the key (like I was starting the car again) but this time the car started. I havent tried starting the car since it happened.

I thought that this was really weird, especially after just replacing the starter.

Any ideas on what could be going on?

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 03:58:13 AM   #2
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: Starter keeps cranking

Need some help with your desciption/terminology. 1. You didn't start it, you tried to start it, right?
Turn over means the engine/crank moves, so the starter whirs but the engine doesn't move? Or they both move?
Regardless, you say you release the key and starter keeps moving? Here's where the clarifications above are important.
But this much we can say: If the engine turns over and keeps doing so after you release the key, either the key cylinder/contacts are hosed, or the solenoid is hosed (not retracing after the engaging voltage is removed (a spring mechanism with bad/broken parts or worn/misalignment).

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 04:14:30 AM   #3
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
Need some help with your desciption/terminology. 1. You didn't start it, you tried to start it, right?
Turn over means the engine/crank moves, so the starter whirs but the engine doesn't move? Or they both move?
Regardless, you say you release the key and starter keeps moving? Here's where the clarifications above are important.
But this much we can say: If the engine turns over and keeps doing so after you release the key, either the key cylinder/contacts are hosed, or the solenoid is hosed (not retracing after the engaging voltage is removed (a spring mechanism with bad/broken parts or worn/misalignment).

ADS

To clarify, I turned the key and heard the starter crank then engine, but it didn't turn over and start the car. When I let the key go back to position 2, the engine was still turning but again didn't start until I turned the key to start it a second time. The starter is a brand new refurb so I dont think it's the starter. Any suggestions on what to look for in the key cylinder? Is it fixable or do I need to replace it?

Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 11:42:02 AM   #4
nuc1
M-aholic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
To clarify, I turned the key and heard the starter crank then engine, but it didn't turn over and start the car. When I let the key go back to position 2, the engine was still turning but again didn't start until I turned the key to start it a second time. The starter is a brand new refurb so I dont think it's the starter. Any suggestions on what to look for in the key cylinder? Is it fixable or do I need to replace it?
I had to replace my alternator THREE times in 2 weeks using brand new refurbs.....
YMMV.

Mike
- BW CSL Intake - Dinan ITBs - Ported & Polished Head - Schrick 288/280 - ARP Head/Main/Rod Bolts - Epic Rod Bearings - CP Pistons - Beisan VANOS - Okada Coils - SS V1 Stepped Headers & Non-Res Sec 1 - OEM Sec 2 - AA Gen 6 Sec 3 - OEM CSL MAP & Pressure Rail - CSL Software - 4.10 Polished Diff - TTFS Tune
Stop
- Brembo 355F/345R - Stoptech Pads (Street) - GC Street/Track SA 525/550
Show
- OEM Euro Front Bumper - OEM CSL Trunk - Polished OEM 19s - OEM Euro Folding Mirrors - OEM LEDs w/ BFD - Sunroof Delete - Dynavin - JL 12W6 - JL 300/2 & 500/1 - Focal K2P
15 MR/Black 320i Family Truckster
11 Tundra Super White/Black Actual Truckster
Jump to top nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 08:06:03 PM   #5
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc1 View Post
I had to replace my alternator THREE times in 2 weeks using brand new refurbs.....
YMMV.

Mike
Thats not very reassuring :/

What brand alternator where you using? Just curious, because I have to replace mine soon.

Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 09:16:55 PM   #6
nuc1
M-aholic

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
Thats not very reassuring :/

What brand alternator where you using? Just curious, because I have to replace mine soon.
Well that was about 4 years ago so.....

Mike
- BW CSL Intake - Dinan ITBs - Ported & Polished Head - Schrick 288/280 - ARP Head/Main/Rod Bolts - Epic Rod Bearings - CP Pistons - Beisan VANOS - Okada Coils - SS V1 Stepped Headers & Non-Res Sec 1 - OEM Sec 2 - AA Gen 6 Sec 3 - OEM CSL MAP & Pressure Rail - CSL Software - 4.10 Polished Diff - TTFS Tune
Stop
- Brembo 355F/345R - Stoptech Pads (Street) - GC Street/Track SA 525/550
Show
- OEM Euro Front Bumper - OEM CSL Trunk - Polished OEM 19s - OEM Euro Folding Mirrors - OEM LEDs w/ BFD - Sunroof Delete - Dynavin - JL 12W6 - JL 300/2 & 500/1 - Focal K2P
15 MR/Black 320i Family Truckster
11 Tundra Super White/Black Actual Truckster
Jump to top nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 01:25:37 AM   #7
Pnick

United States

Like RedM3/4 was saying...these are the possible scenarios with what you described.
1. Starter solenoid is stuck in the engage position (could be a refurb flaw?) and since the engine doesn't fully start, the overrunning clutch/pinion gear of the starter stays engaged with the flywheel. Simultaneously, the solenoid controlled contact remains closed which provides a continuous 12-volts to the starter. But, if this is the case, the starter will continue to run even with the ignition in off position though.

2. Or the ignition coil. Position "0" is off, position 1 is "run", position 2 is "start". Sounds like position 2 is getting power when the ignition is in position 1 "run" mode. Yes it is replaceable.

Determine which is which then throw money at the rootcause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor starter-wiring-diagram.jpg (46.9 KB, 8 views)

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 01:40:44 AM   #8
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnick View Post
Like RedM3/4 was saying...these are the possible scenarios with what you described.

1. Starter solenoid is stuck in the engage position (could be a refurb flaw?) and since the engine doesn't fully start, the overrunning clutch/pinion gear of the starter stays engaged with the flywheel. Simultaneously, the solenoid controlled contact remains closed which provides a continuous 12-volts to the starter. But, if this is the case, the starter will continue to run even with the ignition in off position though.

2. Or the ignition coil. Position "0" is off, position 1 is "run", position 2 is "start". Sounds like position 2 is getting power when the ignition is in position 1 "run" mode. Yes it is replaceable.

Determine which is which then throw money at the rootcause.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm beginning to think it was the ignition coil, but it hasn't happened since the first occurrence. I'm going to wait to see if it happens again, then look into the ignition coil.

I'm assuming the ignition coil is matched to our keys and I would need to replace both??

Old Wed, Mar-22-2017, 11:38:05 PM   #9
Pnick

United States

Ignition module (where you insert your key) not coil. My bad...

I would make sure that you identified the rootcause instead of just throwing money at it. After awhile it gets expensive.

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-23-2017, 12:50:02 AM   #10
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

So did anlittleore research in that part and is called the ignition switch, part number 61326901961. The links below are for the part at TMS (although I've found non OEM parts for much much less, between $20-$40) and a DIY at pelican parts

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...-e39-x3-x5-z4/

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm