BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 06:18:58 AM   #41
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Money Shift Into Second Around 70 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
There are usually plenty of refreshed heads that pop up on eBay and bimmerforum for like $800. I would not go all out if you don't have the money and just want it back on the road. Either that or just pull yours and get it to a machine shop and have them do the bare minimum of replace the bent valves, install new guides, seals and lapping.
I'm gonna go with either finding a complete and refreshed head, or see what it could cost to send mine in to VAC Motorsports for a reconditioning. Of course I'd call ahead and ask what they would do if the head was damaged or if the valves were bent, but either way I'll be spending sub $1000 on getting a head that works.

Now for taking the head off and on would it be DIY'able?? Wouldn't it just be as "simple" as a head gasket repair? Debating on saving the money and DIY'ing it as there isn't a ton of rush to get the car back out, but my knowledge is somewhat limited to all of this sooooooo

Update: found a ported head with 7k miles after a rebuild, for only $500?? Would it be worth it to buy? Seller claims it's ported on the intake side. Any questions I should ask him before I invest in it?

Last edited by thirtysixnick; Sun, Mar-19-2017 at 06:28:41 AM.
Jump to top thirtysixnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 12:30:56 PM   #42
pbonsalb

How many times has it been cut or ideally measured thickness. Why is it off the car now or does it need to be checked and resurfaced?
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 01:18:46 PM   #43
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
How many times has it been cut or ideally measured thickness. Why is it off the car now or does it need to be checked and resurfaced?
Sadnesses
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 01:38:52 PM   #44
radialaced

United States

too late for OP but for anyone else that doesn't know this: if you're going to run through the gears quickly you should twist your wrist away from your body with you fingers pointing towards the passenger seat when you pull the shift lever from 3rd to 4th . That puts pressure on the shifter towards 4th gear instead of 2nd.

1998 M3 and 1990 325is
Jump to top radialaced is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 10:24:59 PM   #45
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
I'm gonna go with either finding a complete and refreshed head, or see what it could cost to send mine in to VAC Motorsports for a reconditioning. Of course I'd call ahead and ask what they would do if the head was damaged or if the valves were bent, but either way I'll be spending sub $1000 on getting a head that works.

Now for taking the head off and on would it be DIY'able?? Wouldn't it just be as "simple" as a head gasket repair? Debating on saving the money and DIY'ing it as there isn't a ton of rush to get the car back out, but my knowledge is somewhat limited to all of this sooooooo

Update: found a ported head with 7k miles after a rebuild, for only $500?? Would it be worth it to buy? Seller claims it's ported on the intake side. Any questions I should ask him before I invest in it?
Good lord! Do not send it to VAC unless you want to loose your wallet. Any local machine shop will do the same work for 1/3rd the price. As for the $500 head I would ask why it was pulled back off. If it wasn't an overheat issue and it's flat then you'd have a good deal
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:13:31 AM   #46
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
Good lord! Do not send it to VAC unless you want to loose your wallet. Any local machine shop will do the same work for 1/3rd the price. As for the $500 head I would ask why it was pulled back off. If it wasn't an overheat issue and it's flat then you'd have a good deal
+1

I bought my E46 dual VANOS (rebuilt) unit from VAC. I'll never deal with those guys again. They charge a lot of money considering their non-existent customer service, lack of knowledge of their products, lack of ethical practices, and inability to function properly as a business.

Once was enough for me, I'll never deal with them again. That company is a joke. There are plenty of other reputable vendors doing good things in the BMW community. I do like the design of their rear shock tower reinforcement plates though. I have those in my E36.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 02:11:21 AM   #47
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
+1

I bought my E46 dual VANOS (rebuilt) unit from VAC. I'll never deal with those guys again. They charge a lot of money considering their non-existent customer service, lack of knowledge of their products, lack of ethical practices, and inability to function properly as a business.

Once was enough for me, I'll never deal with them again. That company is a joke. There are plenty of other reputable vendors doing good things in the BMW community. I do like the design of their rear shock tower reinforcement plates though. I have those in my E36.
Alright so VAC it definitely ISN'T
I'll ask Mr Seller why he had it pulled tonight.

Also; My dad is SUPER convinced that these repairs or some BS is going to cost us/me around 4 grand??? I've spent a TON of time trying to explain to him that the info he found (a BFC post) was outdated and probably exaggerated. Somewhere in the post it was stated that someone spent $4,000 on getting their valves done after a third to second gear money shift...??? I don't believe a valve job or even a reconditioned head/new head would cost near that and even installation wouldn't run it up that much soooo?
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 02:19:08 AM   #48
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
Alright so VAC it definitely ISN'T
I'll ask Mr Seller why he had it pulled tonight.

Also; My dad is SUPER convinced that these repairs or some BS is going to cost us/me around 4 grand??? I've spent a TON of time trying to explain to him that the info he found (a BFC post) was outdated and probably exaggerated. Somewhere in the post it was stated that someone spent $4,000 on getting their valves done after a third to second gear money shift...??? I don't believe a valve job or even a reconditioned head/new head would cost near that and even installation wouldn't run it up that much soooo?
To have a shop pull the head, send it to a machine shop, and reinstall it with new valves, and some other replaced parts could very well run close to $4000, but that would be pretty high for the job. If you're pulling the head, it won't be anywhere even close to that.

My buddy had a shop do his. He replaced every exhaust valve, and put a Dr VANOS unit in. Parts and labor were about $3000. I could see an expensive shop an expensive machine shop, and more new parts edging that up another grand.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 02:43:16 AM   #49
pbonsalb

I'd guess $1200 or less in parts and 12 hours or less of labor ($1200 @ $100/hr) so $2500 max.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 03:03:36 AM   #50
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
To have a shop pull the head, send it to a machine shop, and reinstall it with new valves, and some other replaced parts could very well run close to $4000, but that would be pretty high for the job. If you're pulling the head, it won't be anywhere even close to that.

My buddy had a shop do his. He replaced every exhaust valve, and put a Dr VANOS unit in. Parts and labor were about $3000. I could see an expensive shop an expensive machine shop, and more new parts edging that up another grand.
With how tight my dad and the indy mechanic we've had are, I believe he won't run us a pretty penny even with a proper job being done.

ALSO:
The seller said he's doing an engine swap and already sold the built bottom end and has no need for the head so it looks like an honest deal. He also said the head was ported by BMS? Never heard of BMS, but I don't do performance things haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I'd guess $1200 or less in parts and 12 hours or less of labor ($1200 @ $100/hr) so $2500 max.
I'd say if I luck out I'd be a little shy of this price, but it sounds pretty spot on.