BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 03:31:33 AM   #31
pbonsalb

Default Re: Money Shift Into Second Around 70 MPH

Put the battery on a charger while cranking. Spark plugs out of all holes. Throttle wide open.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-15-2017, 01:08:56 PM   #32
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
When I had the 5th gear lean, it was only sticky going in or out of the 5th gear gate. 3rd and 4th were completely unaffected, unless it involved shifting in/out of 5th to/from one of those gears.

I've never heard of this issue *pulling* the shifter into the 5th gear gate from 3rd gear.
This is not true 5th gear lean. 5th gear lean is when the spring and detent pushing the shifter towards the left of the gate gets stuck fully retracted. This causes the shifter detent for the left side to push it all the way to 5th gear. Hence the name 5th gear lean. From neutral (by 5th gear) you have to put pressure to the left to get it into 4th and even further for 2nd. My car I have now exhibits the same issue you have which I believe is the precursor to full 5th gear lean when the detent seizes. This is also why when you do the detents you install an updated bushing that has an orange plastic bushing almost to stop it siezing
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 07:12:47 PM   #33
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

10/10 wasn't ignition coils on the misfiring cylinder LOL

Definitely assuming the worst so I'll be saving up maybe a grand or two, and then looking into getting it actually taken to a shop... Almost would rather sell the car as a roller, save up a couple of thousand, and then look for another E36 M, but it just wouldn't be the same...

So torn not being able to drive this damn thing haha
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 08:49:13 PM   #34
betrezra

United States

Is there too much risk buying a <100K miles used E36 motor?
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 08:52:40 PM   #35
westopher

Canada

Fix it, fix it right and you will have a very fresh motor and know exactly what's going on. I've ****ed some shit up on my car, but as time goes on and I blow more and more money on fixing everything properly I know exactly what to expect. Being 100% confident in your car means so much to the enjoyment of it.
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 09:47:41 PM   #36
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Is there too much risk buying a <100K miles used E36 motor?
Not at all, but I would rather have a rebuilt top end on my 160k mile engine vs a possibly more abused engine that could run into more minor hiccups than mine. Dealing with an engine swap really isn't what I'm looking for at my age and pay grade either

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Fix it, fix it right and you will have a very fresh motor and know exactly what's going on. I've ****ed some shit up on my car, but as time goes on and I blow more and more money on fixing everything properly I know exactly what to expect. Being 100% confident in your car means so much to the enjoyment of it.
Oh man I definitely plan to get it all done right for sure. The best part about breaking things on my car is knowing that when they're fixed, they're fixed GOOD. As you said, being confident makes it so much more enjoyable, and by the time I'm "done" (never) with this damn machine it'll be such a joy in every aspect; Even if it takes a year or two of on and off driving just to get it to that point, I plan to get it there.
Also thanks for the reply and FYI, a few shots from your member journal are a part of my cycling wallpapers at my tech school. Keeps me motivated to keep striving to be OEM and clean haha.

Still debating on how I want to handle all of this exactly. Should probably get a little money before I start jumping into stuff though.

Last edited by thirtysixnick; Fri, Mar-17-2017 at 10:30:41 PM.
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 12:43:25 AM   #37
tripitz

United States

As I am/have learned, an engine swap usually results in a non-stop list of "while you are in there" things to change/fix just so you KNOW what is done or not done on your engine. It is also a ton of work...
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 02:10:39 PM   #38
M-technik-3

In the garage:

Why not get a used head, Have you used a borescope and looked at the internals? As most have said you have a bent valve or two or three...Hopefully you did not drop a valve as that world render swap out the head.

Autozone or advanced sometimes will have a borescope for loan or heck the Chinese emporium aka Harbor Freight.

Are you a CCA member? Maybe there is a local near you that would be willing to loan you a hand or some tool's. I know the Boston Chapter is good like that.
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 02:22:19 PM   #39
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

There are usually plenty of refreshed heads that pop up on eBay and bimmerforum for like $800. I would not go all out if you don't have the money and just want it back on the road. Either that or just pull yours and get it to a machine shop and have them do the bare minimum of replace the bent valves, install new guides, seals and lapping.
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 06:20:38 PM   #40
M-technik-3

In the garage:

My thought's too ^ It's not overly complicated. The head is pretty much the same for all 4 engines we got here in the US except the hole for OBD I vs II for coolant sensor area.
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote