BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 01:50:27 PM   #111
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Why is my cammed s54 still making the same power?

Wouldn't a stem seal leak produce smoke throughout the whole run and not just on decel? It's almost like you have oil in the intake plenum and when you let-off on the throttle, that surge of vacuum hits and sucks all that residual oil into the engine.

Maybe take a look at & clean the oil separator, as well as, inspect the one-way check valve underneath the plenum that allows oil to drain back to the pan when under vacuum.
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 02:17:19 PM   #112
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
I think it should've still made power. How did he verify that it's pulling timing
Agreed, a weepy stem seal or two may cause some loss of power due to oil contamination, but I think there are larger things going on here. Also, was timing being pulled across all 6 cyl, or was it restricted to certain ones? Sorry if this has been answered previously elsewhere, but did you ever verify/correct your cam position/timing as I suggested originally? If the base cam timing is still off, that will automatically cause a huge loss in power.
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 02:36:15 PM   #113

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
Wouldn't a stem seal leak produce smoke throughout the whole run and not just on decel? It's almost like you have oil in the intake plenum and when you let-off on the throttle, that surge of vacuum hits and sucks all that residual oil into the engine.

Maybe take a look at & clean the oil separator, as well as, inspect the one-way check valve underneath the plenum that allows oil to drain back to the pan when under vacuum.
Watch closely there is some oil smoke during the run and then sparatic puffs when the timing is being pulled. I definitely plan on inspecting and probably replacing the oil separator at the same time. I'm not too familiar with the check valve but I'll look into that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Agreed, a weepy stem seal or two may cause some loss of power due to oil contamination, but I think there are larger things going on here. Also, was timing being pulled across all 6 cyl, or was it restricted to certain ones? Sorry if this has been answered previously elsewhere, but did you ever verify/correct your cam position/timing as I suggested originally? If the base cam timing is still off, that will automatically cause a huge loss in power.
Am I misunderstanding that 10 degrees of timing is or isn't a big deal? These questions are probably better for Randy to answer.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, JE cut-ring HG, TTFS, Beisans vanos, afe intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Driveline: AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Instagram: instatroll_zach
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 04:27:32 PM   #114
m3 hal

United States

Maybe I missed it but what brand seals were used? I thought there used to be an issue with the Supertech's but they were supposedly revised?
Jump to top m3 hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 05:09:37 PM   #115

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 hal View Post
Maybe I missed it but what brand seals were used? I thought there used to be an issue with the Supertech's but they were supposedly revised?
Lang said they used just standard seals not the viton seals.

If I have to go in and replace these seals what should I look into getting?

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, JE cut-ring HG, TTFS, Beisans vanos, afe intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 05:19:03 PM   #116
paulclaude

Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
Am I misunderstanding that 10 degrees of timing is or isn't a big deal? These questions are probably better for Randy to answer.
10 degrees timing pull due to temperature compensation and lack of airflow on the dyno wouldn't be uncommon. It depends on a lot of other factors however. Was it logging as knock reduction or just 10degrees less than target map across the board?

Hope you get to the bottom of the smoke issue. Value stem seals tend to cause a puff of blue smoke on cold start in my experience...
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2/BW 3.5" Single Exit - Schrick 288/280 - CSL DME - Karbonius CSL Intake - KW Clubsport/GC - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - PB 380mm BBK - Corbeau Buckets - Sabelt Harnesses - SD Half Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter
2004 E46 M3 Road - CSL Wheels - Bilstein PSS10 - Performance BMW/CSL Brakes
Jump to top paulclaude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 05:34:01 PM   #117
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
No, it's a big deal, as it indicates that something isn't happy...but it depends if it was pulling timing across the board or just certain cylinders? It might indicate if there's a problem w/excessive heat (affecting all cylinders), or if it's only affecting one or two cylinders (aka oil contamination). I'm not sure what the timing to HP ratio is-lol, but again, it depends if it was just pulling timing in 1 cylinder or all of them...because HP losses would be much higher (of course) if it was pulling timing across all cylinders. Reduced timing in 1 cylinder only is probably negligible in terms of lost power.
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 10:34:43 PM   #118
digger

United States

sounds plausible to me, oil contamination is a huge reduction in knock resistance.

high rpm throttle closed at end of dyno presents maximum vacuum in the ports which will pull oil from above seal into the ports and onto the valves through the engine so would explain why it smokes heavily on lift off. you might be to put a small camera and look at the tops of the valves and they could show signs of excess oil even though some of it would get washed away by fuel. can also check plugs for signs of oil

also leaky seals wont show up on comp test or leakdown

btw engine sounds tits on the dyno so you will eventually get it sorted

ST sell valve stem seals polyacrylate intake and viton exhaust for the heat resistance which are probably uprated but idont know what genuine ones are probably nitrile but it is a guess

Last edited by digger; Fri, Mar-17-2017 at 10:51:28 PM.
Jump to top digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 12:17:31 PM   #119
mpwr92

United States

When you let it idle for a while and give it a snap throttle does
It blow blue smoke?
Jump to top mpwr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-21-2017, 02:29:30 AM   #120

In the garage:

United States

Per Randy's advice, I let the car sit overnight and pulled the intake manifold to inspect the valves for oil accumulation. Cylinders 2 and 3 both looked like this with what appears to be oil but I'm not 100% positive. Cylinder 1 looked completely clean while cylinders 4-6 looked similar but didn't appear to be as much as 2 & 3. I didn't have time to pull the headers to look at the exhaust valves. Is this what the oil accumulation would look like? Also there was nothing out of the ordinary with the spark plugs they looked normal.

I'll try letting it idle for a bit and blipping the throttle to see if it blows any oil. On startup there wasn't any apparent oil in the exhaust though.