BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Regional M3's > Pacific
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Old Tue, Jun-02-2015, 05:24:12 AM   #31
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Default Re: Las vegas area members check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ddftw View Post
Awesome, thanks for the offer! Sad that you don't do bottom end; bearings are next on the list for me and it's one of the only projects I don't feel comfortable tackling alone because of the crazy torquing procedure.
I never said I don't "do" the bottom end...I just haven't yet. It's on my "to-do" list for late December 2015 (as well as control arms, control arm bushings, etc.).

I have all the tools to do it with stock rod bolts, including a freshly calibrated Snap On angle torque wrench. For ARP bolts I need to get a stretch gauge like Kaiv uses.

At this point though it's too damn hot to work in the garage for me (I'm old, remember?). I do all my serious wrenching during the cooler months.

However, if there's an emergency need to do something, LMK and I'll help out if I can. Rod bearings are something that's best done after the car sits for a while (like overnight) to let all the oil drip into the drain pan vs. onto your head. I try not to look like I came off a wildcatter's oil rig right after striking the motherload!

email is the best contact method: admranger

at earthlink

dot net.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 12:14:59 AM   #32
t3ddftw

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I never said I don't "do" the bottom end...I just haven't yet. It's on my "to-do" list for late December 2015 (as well as control arms, control arm bushings, etc.).

I have all the tools to do it with stock rod bolts, including a freshly calibrated Snap On angle torque wrench. For ARP bolts I need to get a stretch gauge like Kaiv uses.

At this point though it's too damn hot to work in the garage for me (I'm old, remember?). I do all my serious wrenching during the cooler months.

However, if there's an emergency need to do something, LMK and I'll help out if I can. Rod bearings are something that's best done after the car sits for a while (like overnight) to let all the oil drip into the drain pan vs. onto your head. I try not to look like I came off a wildcatter's oil rig right after striking the motherload!

email is the best contact method: admranger

at earthlink

dot net.
Got it, thanks! Well, I'm not in a huge hurry just yet but I'm looking to get it done before the end of the year. I hear you about not working during the summer; I always end up drenched after just a few minutes under the car . Pretty sure garages only get hotter than they do here on the surface of the sun.

Mods
Engine: Full Beisan Systems VANOS rebuild
Transmission: CDV Delete
Exterior: Smoked Corners | Black Side & Kidney Grills | Painted Reflectors

My Build/OCD thread
Jump to top t3ddftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 12:23:00 AM   #33
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Guys, just a heads up to let you know that I am available on a limited basis to work on your cars. I'm happy to step you through the process if you have never done it before but want to learn (oil change, brakes, tranny, diff, clutch, suspension, whatever), install mods, valve adjust, vanos bullet proofing, suspension work, etc. Doesn't have to be an E46M3 as I've been doing this since my E30 days. General maintenance to race prep. I don't weld or do lower end work on engines (sorry). I'm not the fastest guy in the world either.

I have a lift and all tools at my place. I'm not in business doing this, just looking to pay for some new mods here and there! I have a day job that is demanding, so please be patient. If you are desperate, let me know and I'll adjust as best I can or point you to the right person in town to do the work.

I don't want to compete with Kaiv, but if you aren't headed to SoCal or can't wait for him to get back to Vegas...

email me at admranger at earthlink d0+ Ne+

Plus sign = 't' (too many spamming threads lately).

awesome. Im huge DIY too but im always hesitant tackling new challenging projects since im limited on tools and also few members are around to lend a helping hand if i cant pull it off myself. its good to know that there is a couple of competent members around town including ftc3. Im planning on dropping my rear diff in january to do all the bushings, bolts and seals. could definitely use some help
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 01:43:31 AM   #34
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

Anybody done the rear 4 ball joints before? Looking for a tool to help me remove them as well. That's my next job.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 04:10:37 AM   #35
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
Anybody done the rear 4 ball joints before? Looking for a tool to help me remove them as well. That's my next job.
I might know someone...

However, I kluged together the tools and ended up with a "doh" moment on one of them... Had to order another one to finish the job. Good thing I had plenty of time as I was reinforcing the subframe, replacing the subframe bushings (w/FTC3's awesome Koch tool!), etc.

It dawned on me later that I think I had the right tool at one time, but put it in a box of other puller tools a friend lent me. Need to find that...though it was one that you hammered the ball joints out (and in). Not delicate, but effective. E36M3 rear ball joints are the same iirc, so I had this tool for my old race car when I did those ball joints.

I bought the ball joint puller for my X5 and it was worth every penny. So much smoother and easier than either of my other methods.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 04:13:47 AM   #36
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I might know someone...

However, I kluged together the tools and ended up with a "doh" moment on one of them... Had to order another one to finish the job. Good thing I had plenty of time as I was reinforcing the subframe, replacing the subframe bushings (w/FTC3's awesome Koch tool!), etc.

It dawned on me later that I think I had the right tool at one time, but put it in a box of other puller tools a friend lent me. Need to find that...though it was one that you hammered the ball joints out (and in). Not delicate, but effective. E36M3 rear ball joints are the same iirc, so I had this tool for my old race car when I did those ball joints.

I bought the ball joint puller for my X5 and it was worth every penny. So much smoother and easier than either of my other methods.

Thanks! If you find something that will work let me know.

I'll keep you in mind if something goes wrong with my X5 or 550i also

Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 04:22:50 AM   #37
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Thanks! If you find something that will work let me know.

I'll keep you in mind if something goes wrong with my X5 or 550i also
Yeah, you don't want to screw around with a DIY setup on the X5 ball joints, especially if they've seen treated roads in winter. They can be a bear.

Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 04:25:58 AM   #38
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Tomorrow I'm doing an alignment on the E90M3 after installing my Eibach pro kit springs. I have the Ground Control street camber plates in there so lots of adjustment range... I have too much camber F&R and too much toe in at the rear.

The E90M3 suspension is so much easier to work with than the E46M3 (rear anyway) it's not even funny. I should have it knocked out in an hour or so with a couple of trials (assuming my wife will have time to help with the toe plates).

Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 04:28:27 AM   #39
duracellttu

In the garage:

United States

Nice man. What time you working on your car? I'd love to come by and lend a hand and introduce myself. Suspension is on my to do list later this year too

Old Fri, Jun-05-2015, 05:04:53 AM   #40
ftc3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
awesome. Im huge DIY too but im always hesitant tackling new challenging projects since im limited on tools and also few members are around to lend a helping hand if i cant pull it off myself. its good to know that there is a couple of competent members around town including ftc3. Im planning on dropping my rear diff in january to do all the bushings, bolts and seals. could definitely use some help
Unfortunately I've earned a minor in M3 subframes over the past year

Id be glad to lend a hand. It's not that bad once you've done it a few times

Quote:
I did all mine when I did the subframe refresh. I used the Koch tool which made the swap a breeze. The Koch tool works around the brake dust shield without having to bend it like some of the homemade presses. I didn't end up buying that one - I rented from Obioban.

Quote:
I might know someone...

If anyone needs the subframe bushing press, just let me know. It makes short order of those four beastly bushings!

Dinan Intake | Dinan TBs | Schrick 280/272 | SSV1| SS Res Sec 2 | Dinan Exhaust | Koni Yellow | Dinan Springs | TTFS Tune | 356WHP
Jump to top ftc3 is offline   Reply With Quote