BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Parts for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Parts for Sale/Wanted Post your Parts Wanted, and non commercial bmw related items for sale. We ask that companies selling goods become a Sponsor to advertise your goods.

Old Thu, Sep-13-2012, 06:22:58 AM   #1
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Default Brackets for E92 M3 Rear Rotors + 996 GT3 4-Piston Rear Calipers

As the title says, I now have brackets that work for the following E46 M3 rear brake applications:
  • E46 M3 rear rotors (ZCP/CSL/Euro/Standard 328mm x 20mm) + Porsche Boxster/Cayman S rear 4-Piston calipers, NO RUST RING! NO INTERFERENCE WITH UPPER WISHBONE MOUNTING BOLT! Requires FMSI D737 pad.
    • Part numbers for Boxster S/Cayman S rear calipers: 996.352.421 & 996.352.422
    • Part numbers for Boxster S/Cayman S front Textar pads: 996-352-949-03-M3
    • Part numbers for Boxster S/Cayman S rear Textar pads: 986-352-939-10-M3 (D738, will leave a rust ring!)
    • Part numbers for Boxster/Cayman "front" Textar pads: 986-351-939-15-M3 (D737, should not leave a rust ring on the rear application!)
    • Part numbers for Boxster S/Cayman S front pad hardware kit: 996 351 959 01
    • Part numbers for Boxster S/Cayman S rear pad hardware kit: 996 352 959 01
  • E92 M3 rear rotors (350mm x 24mm) + Porsche 996 GT3 rear 4-Piston calipers (flip the bracket around so that the caliper's offset is slightly more inboard), SLIGHT RUST RING (~3-4mm), NO INTERFERENCE WITH UPPER WISHBONE MOUNTING BOLT! Requires FMSI D917 pad.
    • Part numbers for 996 GT3 rear calipers: 996.352.425 & 996.352.426

Right Rear 19" CSL rep wheel, E92 M3 350mm rear rotor, Porsche 996 GT3 rear 4-Piston caliper - Got brake torque?

Remito's E92 M3 350mm Rear Rotor + 996 GT3 rear caliper:

Note: The E92 M3 rear rotor requires minor modification that can be performed on any brake lathe - the rear 'lip' that would ordinarily surround the E92 M3 parking brake bracket retaining ring must be machined flat to the parking brake drum. It's aluminum, it takes about 2 minutes each on a brake lathe at any auto parts store and should cost no more than $12 each to do. The E92 M3 rear rotor also has an internal drum diameter of 185mm as opposed to the OE E46 M3 rear internal drum diameter of 180mm. You can use the parking brake shoes from an E92 M3 or an E46 330Ci, they're the same.

Note: The E46 M3 rear rotor requires no modifications to either the rotor or parking brake shoes with the Porsche Boxster S calipers.

Note: The recommend brake lines are Centric 950.34000 for the front and Centric 950.34506 for the rear. These are BANJO style lines and include the proper bolt and crush washers for the E46 application. The reason I suggest these is due to the ease of replacing the sealing surfaces (crush washers). Using non-banjo lines on the calipers can result in improper torque application from the line to the caliper, which can damage the internal caliper seat, strip threads, or worse - cause irreparable leaks.

I'm selling the brackets, plus all included hardware (8 metric socket cap screws, at least 10.9 hardness), for $110 a set, shipped within the continental US via the USPS Priority Mail small flat-rate box. These are powdercoated in 'Black River' textured coating to protect against road debris/salt/corrosion, etc.

A few FAQs I get often:
  • YES! This is the same bracket for both applications! Thus, if you wish to upgrade to a larger rotor later, you need only purchase the caliper and E92 M3 rear rotor. The brackets remain the same and are simply 'flipped' over to change the caliper offset.
  • If you have questions about powdercoating, please contact mike@thepowdercoater.com. I am no longer able to address those questions as I am not a powdercoater and seem to get the answers wrong more often than not.
  • If you have questions about brake bias, please consult the thread listed in my signature, both these kits are good; however, the E92 M3 rotor-based kit has more brake torque available than the Boxster/Cayman S kit for the same pedal travel. I have written extensively about this and you can find just about any bias reference you want within that table. If not, please pose the question in that thread and I will address it promptly!
  • The Porsche Boxster S calipers will not fit the E92 M3 rear rotor. It's tight on the E46 rear rotor, and simply won't wrap over the significantly larger 350mm E90 M3 rear rotor.
  • Porsche Boxster S calipers are usually costing about $100-$125 each. They're cheap.
  • 996 GT3 rear calipers are usually costing about $250 each. *They're not cheap.
  • OEM E92 M3 rear rotors are approximately $528/pair from Turner Motorsports.
  • I cannot reliably source Porsche Boxster S or Porsche 996 GT3 (~2002 Porsche 911 Turbo) rear calipers, unfortunately.
  • Do not swap calipers from left to right (ever); however, you will be required to swap the lines from the right caliper to the left caliper's bleeder positions & vice versa. This will allow you to install the calipers with the bleeders facing up and the pistons in their proper arrangement for a trailing caliper orientation. Some rear calipers have indentations on both sides, some do not. In either case, the lines will swap without incident.
  • Pad recommendations can vary from application to application - the OEM Textars are great pads, but dust a lot. If you don't like dust, I won't be of much help - it doesn't bother me in the least.
  • These are fitments for OEM rotors. If you can find a rotor that works with the OEM brakes and is the same size, it should work. Try www.racingbrake.com for two-piece rotors. If it doesn't work, I won't be of much help unless you're willing to send one to me for a test fitment. If you want it back, you'll need to send return postage; otherwise, it's mine to keep!
  • I'm not sure if these brackets will work on other E46 applications. Maybe -- maybe not. Buy it to try, or ship me a rear trailing arm assembly, and I'll let you know very quickly. Alternately, stop by the house and we'll give it a go ourselves!
  • As with almost any rear BBK, the rear dust shield must be modified, its 'ears' can either be bent back, or cut off. This took me about 30 seconds per side, including slight grinding to debur the edges, when using a DeWalt 20V Max cut-off wheel. It made very short work of that task. Harbor Freight sells a very inexpensive cut-off tool that will do the same chore in the same amount of work. It should be good enough to make 4 cuts.
  • I don't know if your wheel will fit over the calipers or if your spokes will touch. OEM 18" wheels, as well as my 19" CSL replicas, will clear both applications. I won't comment past that unless you're willing to ship me your wheel - same shipping rules apply as above, heh, so don't turn your wheel into a spare coffee table for me.
  • Yes, you could easily make your own - go for it, they're that simple. Don't forget the expensive hardware, and the powdercoating, and the 6061-T6 aluminum, and making sure your holes are dead-on precise, and the cost of getting the right taps/drill bits, and a proper file, and.. and.. (You absolutely do not want a caliper that's not perfectly true to the rotor!)
  • I can no longer reserve sets, unfortunately. These are on a first come, first served basis - my sincerest apologies!

More information about the development and characteristics of the kit can be found in an upcoming thread in the E46 M3 section (to be discussed soon). This is simply the FS thread to keep track of orders for the brackets.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT LIABLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR BRAKES. IF YOU BUY THIS KIT, YOU INDEMNIFY ME FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY THAT MAY ARISE FROM ABUSE/MISUSE/INSTALLATION OR ANY OTHER FORM OF OPERATION OF THE BRACKETS. THESE ARE FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. NOT FOR FITMENT TO ANY DOT-SANCTIONED VEHICLE. DO NOT USE ON THE STREET. BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED OR NECESSARY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear_4-pot.JPG (203.6 KB, 4837 views)

Last edited by p0lar; Tue, Jul-22-2014 at 04:23:01 AM.
Rate Seller View Rating
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-13-2012, 02:17:04 PM   #2
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Brackets for E92 M3 Rear Rotors + 996 GT3 4-Piston Rear Calipers

order tracking.

Last edited by p0lar; Thu, Nov-22-2012 at 10:47:43 PM.
Jump to top p0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-14-2012, 03:33:27 AM   #3
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Reserved + Bump - I found enough hardware locally to finish 5 more sets of these and get them moving out the door immediately.
Old Sun, Sep-16-2012, 07:19:51 PM   #4
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

4 sets are immediately available - I'll purchase more hardware on Monday to complete more sets.
Old Mon, Sep-17-2012, 02:17:38 PM   #5
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Hey p0lar,

Just purchased a pair of GT3 rear calipers and would like to purchase your brackets as well. Can you please forward me the details for ordering?

Thanks

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-17-2012, 02:28:21 PM   #6
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
Hey p0lar,

Just purchased a pair of GT3 rear calipers and would like to purchase your brackets as well. Can you please forward me the details for ordering?

Thanks
Really!? I didn't think anyone was going to be crazy enough to do the 996 GT3 caliper + E92 M3 rear rotor conversion! SWEET!!! I'll be MORE than happy enough to sell them to you as you'll be the only other car other than mine with it on there.

You've got a PM incoming!
Old Tue, Sep-18-2012, 08:05:09 PM   #7
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

My brackets arrived to me in the UK today, great service from Steph!
Jump to top MartynT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-18-2012, 08:25:56 PM   #8
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynT View Post
My brackets arrived to me in the UK today, great service from Steph!
I'm happy to hear it, Martyn! Please keep me updated on your installation - feel free to post photos here too, if you like.
Old Sat, Oct-06-2012, 03:18:49 AM   #9
p0lar
Naturally Agitated

In the garage:

United States

I've not heard anything back from the mods after two weeks, so I'm bumping this up as it's a sunk cost if at least what's left in the box doesn't sell!
Old Sat, Oct-06-2012, 04:46:20 AM   #10
t3stman

United States

Please post up pics and provide any inputs on this setup! I'm interested to know as i'm on the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM3 View Post
Hey p0lar,

Thanks

Cosmetic Mods: OEM CSL Bootlid, OEM CSL Diffusor, OEM Euro Fire Extinguisher, Premium Clear Bra, EAS Aurora Angel Eyes 6000k, EAS CF Titanium seat outer trims, EAS CF Titanium upper trim, EAS CF Titanium SMG Dome, Ice-Link, Painted Matching Bumper Reflectors, Painted Hood Grill, 40% Huper Optik Tint, and Ultimate pedals.

Performance Mods: VFE Stg2, SS stepped headers, cats, x-pipes, and NOW KW v3
91 Pump - 478.86 HPs
MS-109 - 511.56 HPs

Future Mods: Eibach or GC swaybars, BBK, and Hard wired V1
Jump to top t3stman is offline   Reply With Quote