BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 08:02:36 PM   #31
11b4

United States

Default Re: Continental ExtremeContact Sport reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
That looks like underinflation or perhaps there was a puncture that caused the tire to leak out. When sidewalls fail like that, it's usually due to excessive heat induced by underinflation.
Funny thing is I check tire pressure once a week. Georgia weather is bipolar so I keep an eye on tire pressure. The night before I checked it and it was good. The next morning going to work, cruising at 55mph my tire light popped on and a few seconds later I felt the tire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jump to top 11b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:27:11 AM   #32
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Big time. You simply cannot go WOT in first gear, warm and sunny and dry, with the V12s and expect it to hook. And forget about accelerating away from a turn, no chance.

With PSS, even in stock 255 size, WOT in first hooks easily. Honestly, without exaggerating, I'd say the PSS hooks in the wet nearly as well as the V12 in the dry.

PSS = super glue in all non-super-cold conditions. I run strictly OE sizes on my M3s and I can literally fling my car down a mountain road with reckless abandon and it just grips relentlessly with the PSS'. I've never once had the thought that I need a better, or wider, tire.

V12s are for people who mostly just cruise, and that's totally cool. But if you really like to push the car they simply won't cut it.
I tried a set of V12 on my previous car and would never put them on my current car. However, they aren't as bad as you describe (i.e., that the PSS is "nearly" as good in the wet as V12 in the dry).
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:28:29 AM   #33
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b4 View Post
Funny thing is I check tire pressure once a week. Georgia weather is bipolar so I keep an eye on tire pressure. The night before I checked it and it was good. The next morning going to work, cruising at 55mph my tire light popped on and a few seconds later I felt the tire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That's pretty scary. Was there any sign of a puncture? Not being sarcastic. I mean like a nail or something, but the tire is so destroyed it would be hard to tell.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 03:44:30 PM   #34
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

I find it funny how much hate the V12s get on this forum. I just ordered a second set of V12s for my VW that makes 300+ wtq. Those tires have enough grip where I can go WOT in first gear and feel good during some spirited driving. The V12s are a fine tire for daily duties.

I have the Conti DW on my M3 and M Roadster. No complaints for everyday driving. I use the DW on my M3 as my "wet tire" on the track. They work pretty well until it starts to get dry again. I would give the new Sport model a shot.
B&B TriFlow Section 3 | AP V2 headers | TMS Power Pulleys | aFe Drop In Dry Filter | Macht Schnell Intake Elbow | TTFS Tune | CSF Radiator & Oil Cooler | AST 4200 Coilovers | Ground Control Race Camber Plates & RSMs | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Stoptech ST40 Front & Rear BBK | UUC EVO3 SSK with DSSR | ZHP Knob | Orion V4 | Matte Black Kidney/Side Grills | 35% Tint | Apex 75mm Wheel Studs | H&R Trak+ 10mm Spacers | 19" VMR CSL Reps | 245/275 Continental ExtremeContact DW
Track Stuff: Apex ARC-8s 18x10 ET25 | 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s | Schroth Quick Fits | PFC 08s

2000 BMW M Roadster 5MT - TiAg/Black
TCK D/A | Lightwerkz Projector Headlights | LeatherZ Interior Bits | BMW Performance Knob | OEM Square 17x9 Roadstars

2016 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT - AW/SO
Color Matched Front Reflectors | Lightweight Front Lip | M Performance Rear Spoiler | Black 666Ms

Instagram
E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:35:49 PM   #35
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

You have more traction with the engine being in the front

A square set of 275/40/17 for under $700 means this will probably be my next set of rain track tires.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 08:51:25 PM   #36
VIVAxLAxSTOOL

In the garage:

United States

Well ordered mine from Tire Rack this morning and I'm picking them up tomorrow. There is a $70 mail in rebate so that is a plus. Can't wait to get them on my 260M wheels and tear down a couple of back roads!

IG: jaorugby1990

'02 BMW M3- Blk/Blk, Euro bumper, CSL style diffuser ,BMW SSK, BSW Subs, FabSpeed headers, SGT 200cell cats, SGT SCZA Muffler, Beisan Systems Oil Pump disk
Jump to top VIVAxLAxSTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-21-2017, 04:21:22 PM   #37
2manym3s
ballin

United States

I am considering grabbing these for my new car, and doing a review by both me and my friend that races professionally, would you guys have interest in a thorough writeup on these?
Jump to top 2manym3s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-21-2017, 04:27:08 PM   #38
TREMEK

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manym3s View Post
I am considering grabbing these for my new car, and doing a review by both me and my friend that races professionally, would you guys have interest in a thorough writeup on these?
For sure.
Jump to top TREMEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-21-2017, 05:24:51 PM   #39
VIVAxLAxSTOOL

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
For sure. Really want a direct comparison between these and the Michelin PSS and PS4S so hopefully Tire Rack or Consumer Reports does one soon.

IG: jaorugby1990

'02 BMW M3- Blk/Blk, Euro bumper, CSL style diffuser ,BMW SSK, BSW Subs, FabSpeed headers, SGT 200cell cats, SGT SCZA Muffler, Beisan Systems Oil Pump disk
Jump to top VIVAxLAxSTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-21-2017, 06:39:54 PM   #40
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
sure , would like to read an objective review
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
348.4 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote