BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:21:03 PM   #1
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

Default Replaced the Finisher / Rain Gutter / Trim... DIY info in here too

Or whatever you want to call it I did a brief search before diving in to this and couldnt find a writeup, so either i didnt look hard enough or there isnt one. So, heres a quicky. This is really pretty straight forward and easy to do, but hopefully this serves as a brief guideline for some.

Anyway, the rear window trim/seal (aka: left side finisher) had cracked from age and as a result, was letting moisture in when it would rain hard or when I'd wash the car (which I obviously didnt do prior to these pics ) Unfortunately, you have to replace the whole darn piece, which isnt cheap.

heres what ya need:

Part # 51717003935 (left side) $232.35 (tischer price)
51717003936 (right side)

Be careful when ordering the part. There are 3 different ones. The numbers above are for the oem, matte black finish. There is also a chrome and bright black (WAY more expensive)

Also going to need:

About 60 minutes of time
Flat Head Screwdriver
Phillips Head Screwdriver

Optional:
All Purpose Cleaner and Microfiber Towel
Wax

Heres what it looked like before. You can see the cracked rubber piece in the corner that was letting in the moisture.

I started by pulling off the door/window seal. This is accomplished by simply pulling straight out. Its on a little tight, which is normal, but it should come off relatively easily. I started right above where the door catch is. Peel a little back to get a good grip and just pull it off.

As you get closer to the door jamb be careful and dont just pull on this carelessly. There is a wire running in to the seal (I'm guessing window sensor?)
(you can see two of the 16 screws that will have to be removed in this pic)

Now do the same to the rear.

You may need to do this step prior to the one above, or maybe you can do it after, but the rear window needs to be released from the motor/actuator. This will allow the rear window to open wider and freely, allowing access to some of the screws up top. This is accomplished by first opening the rear window then taking a flat head screwdriver and lightly prying the black cone shaped piece away from the window. It should come off easily. Just let it hang loosely like you see. Then just pull the ball joint from the actuator arm towards the open side of the housing to unhook it. From here, go ahead and "close" the window. Obviously the window will still be free and can open close by hand, but the actuator arm will be out of your way for now. Just "open" the rear window again when you're ready to hook it back up.

Now you can start unscrewing the 16 phillips head screws that are placed around the underside fo the finisher. They start at the front door jamb and finish at the rear window seal.

Heres a pic showing some more of the locations of the screws. All are easy to see once the seals are pulled down though.

Pull the old piece off and set it aside. Take this opportunity to clean up the area under the trim. You can use an all purpose cleaner, waterless wash or similar, but might as well clean up this area while its accessible. I put a light coat of wax on there too while I had the chance.

Now grab the new trim and get it in place. I had to give a good push on the new one to get it in securely. Once mounted, I pushed the whole piece towards the back of the car to help line up the holes.

Once you put all screws back in place, just get those window seals back in. Push them in (might need to give them a little hit to encourage them to sit in there tightly). After they go back on, you can then hook up the rear window actuator again.

Finished product:

2002 Topaz/Black M3-Slicktop-SMG: OEM CSL Bootlid, Mini-CSL Battery, TMS Pulleys, Stoptech SS Lines, Borla muffler & Midpipe, Hotchkis Sways, Eibach Springs, RE RSMs, PowerFlex Rtabs, PowerFlex Subframe Bushings, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, Blk Grills, Blk Side Gills, VCSL Center Console, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann Fog Ducts, ACS Lower Lip Spoiler, FUCY Rear Diffuser, LED Tail upgrade w/ outer ring mod, D/A street software, RPI Scoops, e92 m3 18" rims w/ PS2s

Last edited by Chris(NJ); Sat, Oct-10-2009 at 10:39:23 PM.
Jump to top Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:26:33 PM   #2
moreisbetter

United States

Great diy. Same thing happened to mine and on the same side as yours.
Jump to top moreisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:32:34 PM   #3
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreisbetter View Post
Great diy. Same thing happened to mine and on the same side as yours.
Thanks yea, seems like a common occurrence unfortunately.
2002 Topaz/Black M3-Slicktop-SMG: OEM CSL Bootlid, Mini-CSL Battery, TMS Pulleys, Stoptech SS Lines, Borla muffler & Midpipe, Hotchkis Sways, Eibach Springs, RE RSMs, PowerFlex Rtabs, PowerFlex Subframe Bushings, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, Blk Grills, Blk Side Gills, VCSL Center Console, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann Fog Ducts, ACS Lower Lip Spoiler, FUCY Rear Diffuser, LED Tail upgrade w/ outer ring mod, D/A street software, RPI Scoops, e92 m3 18" rims w/ PS2s
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:34:00 PM   #4
jjojo2004
GR68JOJO

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the writeup! Very informative DIY. Both of mine are torn in the same manner, no doubt the brutal Florida summers had taken their toll on the fragile German rubber. Too bad I need to spend 465.00 on two "schwarz finishers!" LMAO
Jump to top jjojo2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:37:30 PM   #5
Simann
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Wow! I posted a thread about this some time ago and nobody responded. Good to know someone has the same problem!
Jump to top Simann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:40:28 PM   #6
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjojo2004 View Post
Thanks for the writeup! Very informative DIY. Both of mine are torn in the same manner, no doubt the brutal Florida summers had taken their toll on the fragile German rubber. Too bad I need to spend 465.00 on two "schwarz finishers!" LMAO
lol, I had to laugh at that name too. I wonder if schwarz means "very expensive" in german
Old Sat, Oct-10-2009, 10:41:05 PM   #7
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simann View Post
Wow! I posted a thread about this some time ago and nobody responded. Good to know someone has the same problem!
Old Mon, Mar-15-2010, 07:29:59 PM   #8
neuralracing
Player making Plays!

Puerto Rico

Any drawback on not replacing these other than cosmetic? $500 for two pieces of rubber is kind of harsh!!!!
Old Mon, Mar-15-2010, 10:31:48 PM   #9
opey

United States

mine has the same problem, pretty bad on one side, and i also need to replace the lower trim on both sides too. good thing those are much cheaper, i think under $50 each

04 IR/IR 6spd
sold =(
Jump to top opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-16-2010, 12:37:47 AM   #10
neuralracing
Player making Plays!

Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by opey View Post
mine has the same problem, pretty bad on one side, and i also need to replace the lower trim on both sides too. good thing those are much cheaper, i think under $50 each
I just did the lower trims for about $60 both sides. I hate the small crack thats visible when the window is closed on each side but $500 bucks for that pet peeve... I don't know if I can justify that.