BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Aug-30-2015, 08:18:30 AM   #91
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY: Replacing E46 sideview mirror glass

What is the difference between the standard and European mirrors? Other than the European ones being over $100 more expensive.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-30-2015, 07:21:32 PM   #92
MarksE46M3
BMW Motorsports Fan -M Forever

United States

Default Re: DIY: Replacing E46 sideview mirror glass -Hot Mirror temp

0-60 Motorsports - Thanks for sharing as felt like this should not be happening. I asked my BME Tech friend about this and shared the "Low Voltage error code and he will do some research on this plus look at the wiring diagrams. Will let you know if anything comes back from this. Did only disconnect the one power wire or both the ground too (the second wire). ? I gues it does not matter and once disconnected will keep from any potential discoloration or other issue. Thanks again. Any one else ?
Praxis Air Suspension.
Vorsteiner CF Hood/CSL Boot/Lip/Diffuser
CF Lightweight Roof
Stock Motor ( for now ) -
Jump to top MarksE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-30-2015, 08:09:29 PM   #93
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Default Re: DIY: Replacing E46 sideview mirror glass -Hot Mirror temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksE46M3 View Post
0-60 Motorsports - Thanks for sharing as felt like this should not be happening. I asked my BME Tech friend about this and shared the "Low Voltage error code and he will do some research on this plus look at the wiring diagrams. Will let you know if anything comes back from this. Did only disconnect the one power wire or both the ground too (the second wire). ? I gues it does not matter and once disconnected will keep from any potential discoloration or other issue. Thanks again. Any one else ?
No worries. I disconnected both wires on the back of the mirrors. Sure it shows a fault when scanning with the GT1 but it doesnt bother me.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-17-2016, 10:36:05 PM   #94
6MTGirl

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
Reviving this thread... can anyone tell me if this is the correct way the brown and black heater wires should be connected? Does it even matter? I don't want to accidentally reverse them as it's not marked on the mirror which one goes where. Thanks!
Jump to top 6MTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-18-2016, 06:26:06 AM   #95
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

I disconnected those lines on mine as the mirror heating was always on. I found that out when i touched the mirror one hot summer day and then began to curse profusely LOL
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-24-2016, 10:33:18 PM   #96
Isla Mar

In the garage:

United States

Just wondering if anyone has further info on the two issues that seem to be coming up for many when replacing the mirror glass, that is, 1) overheating, and 2) carnival appearance.

Here's my story ('02 M3 Conv):

My drivers' side mirror had a little "rust" on the outer edge, not a functional issue, just a little annoying because I want my car perfect. I bought new glass (51167157247) and lead from ECS. I couldn't get the old glass off myself and was afraid of damaging something. Even quitting when I did, I can now hear the drivers' side mirror motor when I move the glass with the door control: it didn't do that before, so I think a did something. I decided to turn it over to a BMW tech I was seeing for other work. He also battled with it because the adhesive backing on the original factory glass was so hardened and resistant that the glass shattered before giving way. We got the new glass in along with the new lead. However, on the way home I noticed the wavy, dizzying circus quality of the glass and all the cars on the freeway looked freakish and dangerously close. Lane changes to the left were especially nerve wracking. So I stopped and put the window down to see if there was a coating or something on the glass to remove. No such thing, and that's when I discovered that it was crazy hot even though it's a warm day in Southern California and I'm running the A/C. By the way, I haven't messed with the passenger side and it looks and feels fine.

I called ECS this morning, before finding this thread, and told them about the wavy glass. They're sending a replacement. I told my tech last night via text about the heat and he suggested it had to do with me running the A/C in Auto mode...that makes no sense since the passenger side is cool.

Any ideas??? I'm sure I'm not the only one...I wish I had let well enough alone. I hate spending money to make things WORSE! ARGHHHH!
Jump to top Isla Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-25-2016, 03:31:44 AM   #97
LDNA

Canada

I had the exact problem with wavy mirror glass. ECS send me a replacement and it was still wavy. So then I took it off and the mirror looks fine, is only wavy when installed. Found out that the plastic tabs at the back of the mirrors (not the ones that clips but the ones that is just there to push against the back of the mirror) is making the mirrors not straight when installed. You have to push those tabs in a bit so they don't stick out as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isla Mar View Post
Just wondering if anyone has further info on the two issues that seem to be coming up for many when replacing the mirror glass, that is, 1) overheating, and 2) carnival appearance.

Here's my story ('02 M3 Conv):

My drivers' side mirror had a little "rust" on the outer edge, not a functional issue, just a little annoying because I want my car perfect. I bought new glass (51167157247) and lead from ECS. I couldn't get the old glass off myself and was afraid of damaging something. Even quitting when I did, I can now hear the drivers' side mirror motor when I move the glass with the door control: it didn't do that before, so I think a did something. I decided to turn it over to a BMW tech I was seeing for other work. He also battled with it because the adhesive backing on the original factory glass was so hardened and resistant that the glass shattered before giving way. We got the new glass in along with the new lead. However, on the way home I noticed the wavy, dizzying circus quality of the glass and all the cars on the freeway looked freakish and dangerously close. Lane changes to the left were especially nerve wracking. So I stopped and put the window down to see if there was a coating or something on the glass to remove. No such thing, and that's when I discovered that it was crazy hot even though it's a warm day in Southern California and I'm running the A/C. By the way, I haven't messed with the passenger side and it looks and feels fine.

I called ECS this morning, before finding this thread, and told them about the wavy glass. They're sending a replacement. I told my tech last night via text about the heat and he suggested it had to do with me running the A/C in Auto mode...that makes no sense since the passenger side is cool.

Any ideas??? I'm sure I'm not the only one...I wish I had let well enough alone. I hate spending money to make things WORSE! ARGHHHH!
Jump to top LDNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-25-2016, 06:45:51 AM   #98
Isla Mar

In the garage:

United States

Thanks! That sounds plausible as I recall thinking, "What a nice piece of glass" when I was holding it in my hand. It wasn't until it was mounted on the car that it looked like a bad make-up mirror. I'll definitely give your suggestion a try. I think I'll also try to pull the original wiring through the opposite side (like some other posters have) and see if I can eliminate the need for the new lead (51167836442). Not sure if it has anything to do with the inappropriate heating issue or error codes that one poster noted, but it seems, other than the glass, that's the only change and, as I mentioned before, the untouched passenger side is fine.
Jump to top Isla Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-21-2016, 09:58:44 AM   #99
c6506652

In the garage:

Australia

Your a legend. Thanks so much for your easy guide!
Jump to top c6506652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-25-2017, 07:25:57 PM   #100
Edgy
Constantly Learning M3 and M5 Owner

United States

Nice info and pics -- need to review for driver side replacement on my 06.
Jump to top Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote