BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sat, Jul-31-2010, 11:21:05 PM   #101
platanito

In the garage:

United States

Default spark plug

Very helpful DIY, thanks to the OP and this forum,, took me less then sixty minutes. ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark plug at 59k.jpg (771.4 KB, 232 views)
Old Fri, Sep-17-2010, 02:19:15 PM   #102
DocVenture

United States

It should be noted that the coil packs are twist-locks. Twist the coil pack a quarter turn before pulling to remove.
Jump to top DocVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-27-2010, 11:30:32 PM   #103
skelzy
Great White

Just out of curiosity what are you guys paying for new coils? What about new plugs? Just want to know what to expect...

2005 Coupe AW/BLK/SMG/LOADED
Jump to top skelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-28-2010, 02:49:02 AM   #104
VPM3

Canada

Got my plugs from bimmerzone.com think they were like $67 for all 6. Best deal i could find at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
Just out of curiosity what are you guys paying for new coils? What about new plugs? Just want to know what to expect...
Jump to top VPM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-28-2010, 05:07:36 AM   #105
maveric23

In the garage:

United States

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelzy View Post
What about new plugs?
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=329823

2004 Silver Gray/Black M3 Convertible

Jump to top maveric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-07-2010, 10:40:51 PM   #106
duhprez

Default Thanks

This forum is great! A few weeks ago when I started my 2003 M3 vert, the engine was running rough, can't seem to gas it pass 3-4K rpm, low power, seems as if the engine is misfiring and SES light on. Based on these symptoms, I did some research on the forums and it was really helpful in identifying that I experienced the infamous limp mode caused by no longer working ignition coils.

I was really frazzled when my M went into limp mode and thinking about a huge repair bill around the corner.

With the detailed DIY instructions here, I was confident that I could tackle the repair on my own. So I ordered;

1. Set of 6 new Bosch Ignition Coils at www.autopartsway.ca for $30.00 Cdn. each (shipped for free).

2. Set of 6 NGK DCPR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plugs for $56.00 USD (shipped to my door) - Saw pretty good reviews/comments on this replacement plug. My current OEM plugs had 70,000km on them so for the small cost, I might as well treat the M to a new set of plugs.

I also took note that there is a technical bulletin issued as S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Mileage but couldn't be bothered with driving the car in limp mode to a dealer and try to convince a service under the TB.

I didn't bother to troubleshoot to find out which coil was faulty. I figured that since they were all the same OEM unit and that if I replaced just the faulty one, there would soon be another that would fault.

The entire job took me 2 hours to complete and that's really taking my time (with detailing the engine cover, wiping down the engine and in-cabin filter tray along the way). The instructions are very clear on this DIY thread.

The only comment I'd like to add is - to make it easy to pull the ignition coils out, I threaded a small rag through the hole on the flip cover. And I tugged on the rag to easily pull out the ignition coil.

Once the job was complete, the M is running really sweet again and the SES light went out on it's own which was really convenient.

In spending about $260.00 for parts, I'm glad I tackled this job as a DIY. If you take your time and step by step, it's actually quite easy and straight forward.
Jump to top duhprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-27-2011, 02:19:24 AM   #107
jmillet

United States

Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 Spark-Plugs with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrex View Post
any truth to this? do we use anti seize on the spark plugs?
TIS 12 12 1AZ calls out:
Spark Plugs (ungreased), Thread M12X1.25, Tightening Specification 23+/-3N*m
Thread M14X1.25, Tightening Specification 30+/-3N*m
The S54 engine takes an M12X1.25 threaded spark plug.

Jump to top jmillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-02-2011, 07:41:10 PM   #108
bursond

United States

Nice Job!
Jump to top bursond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-02-2011, 07:55:45 PM   #109
bursond

United States

Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhprez View Post
This forum is great! A few weeks ago when I started my 2003 M3 vert, the engine was running rough, can't seem to gas it pass 3-4K rpm, low power, seems as if the engine is misfiring and SES light on. Based on these symptoms, I did some research on the forums and it was really helpful in identifying that I experienced the infamous limp mode caused by no longer working ignition coils.

I was really frazzled when my M went into limp mode and thinking about a huge repair bill around the corner.

With the detailed DIY instructions here, I was confident that I could tackle the repair on my own. So I ordered;

1. Set of 6 new Bosch Ignition Coils at www.autopartsway.ca for $30.00 Cdn. each (shipped for free).

2. Set of 6 NGK DCPR8EIX Iridium IX Spark Plugs for $56.00 USD (shipped to my door) - Saw pretty good reviews/comments on this replacement plug. My current OEM plugs had 70,000km on them so for the small cost, I might as well treat the M to a new set of plugs.

I also took note that there is a technical bulletin issued as S54B32- Special Limited Ignition Coils Warranty of 8 Years/Unlimited Mileage but couldn't be bothered with driving the car in limp mode to a dealer and try to convince a service under the TB.

I didn't bother to troubleshoot to find out which coil was faulty. I figured that since they were all the same OEM unit and that if I replaced just the faulty one, there would soon be another that would fault.

The entire job took me 2 hours to complete and that's really taking my time (with detailing the engine cover, wiping down the engine and in-cabin filter tray along the way). The instructions are very clear on this DIY thread.

The only comment I'd like to add is - to make it easy to pull the ignition coils out, I threaded a small rag through the hole on the flip cover. And I tugged on the rag to easily pull out the ignition coil.

Once the job was complete, the M is running really sweet again and the SES light went out on it's own which was really convenient.

In spending about $260.00 for parts, I'm glad I tackled this job as a DIY. If you take your time and step by step, it's actually quite easy and straight forward.
Lisle Tools
Adjustable Spark Plug Wire Puller
Plier jaws adjust to five different positions allowing easier access to spark plug boots. Specially shaped, cushioned jaws grip the boot straight on or from the side. Plastic handle grips help prevent shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51750LISLE.jpg (12.4 KB, 81 views)
Jump to top bursond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-05-2011, 10:58:01 PM   #110
JANDREF321

In the garage:

United States

If you get performance coils would you need to get new wires/loom? If so where can you find them?
Jump to top JANDREF321 is offline   Reply With Quote