BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 06:07:11 AM   #1
OkinawaFD3S

United States

Default E46 M3 race car build thread

Hey all, in the past year or so I've owned an Imola E46 M3 that's probably spent more time in the shop than with me. It's in it's final stages and should be done in the next few weeks. It's actually been about 4 months and i'm pretty anxious. My original intention was for it to be a fun street car that could do track duty. So here's things began.

I picked up this 2001 M3 from a fellow member. The car had been meticulously maintained and had every record since new. 101k miles, MT for $15k. It was throwing some codes for o2 sensors, which seemed to be keeping the price down. I bit.

Here are the photos from the seller:

I brought the car into Sarek Autowerke in Richmond, VA to check out the CEL. Unfortunately I found out that a 'bad o2 sensor' was actually clogged cats. I took the opportunity to have CPI headers installed.

I had been wanting to upgrade to suspension and put 18x9.5 square wheels so it turned into a 'while i'm at it..' moment. I also was having them install subframe reinforcements, which lead to replacing all of the rear end bushings.

- CPI headers
- Epic Alpha-N ECU tune
- Coilovers:
- MCS 2-Way non-remote shocks
- MCS Race Camber Plates
- Hypercoil 700/600
- Ground Control Rear Spring Perches
- Ground Control Rear Spring Perches
Bimmerworld Subframe/Chassis Reinforcement
Powerflex Bushings
- Differential (Front, Rear)
- Rear Subframe (Front, Rear)
- Trailing Arm Bushing Kit
- Rear UCA Inner Bushing
Ground Control Adjustable Swaybars (F/R)
BimmerWorld Rear Camber Arms
Apex EC-7 18x9.5 +35
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 237/35-18
Corner Balance

Suspension and new wheels installed

Off to be corner balanced

3600lbs with full tank and 175lb driver. That seems really beefy, but without the driver and an empty tank, it'd come out to 3320 lbs. It's about 100 lbs lighter already!

After this, the military moved me out to Washington State. Unfortunately, I only had the opportunity to get it on the track once before rainy season hit. It was at Mission Raceway in British Columbia, where there are concrete barriers lining the track. I'm talking ZERO runoff. Nonetheless, it was fun. It's a very tight and technical track. The springs felt far too soft and it's weight really became apparent. Lots of body roll, but it was able to take down an M4 and an A7.

My wife, on the other hand, wasn't as excited as me after a few laps.

Over the winter I did more cleaning up of the car. It's funny, because I began replacing the worn, faded panels only to strip everything shortly after.

This is how the rear deck looked after 15 years of sun. I went to the hobby store and picked up some spray dye. Removed the panel and sprayed it with dye. It did a great job and looked brand new. Didn't get a pic of it though. Oh well.

I also set the valve clearance, replaced spark plugs, and replaced the coil packs.

Looks pretty healthy!

Here are some pics of the first track day of 2017. It was at The Ridge Motorsport Park. It's a fantastic course. Easily the best in the northwest US.

I did a few more track days early in the season. All HPDE, open track stuff. I began to get kind of bored of it, but wasn't fully committed do building a full tilt race car. On the last track day of that I attended (June?), a stock E92 M3 rolled several times and the driver almost died. He went wide on a turn and his tires dropped into an eroded ditch on the side of the track, over corrected and swerved across the track. Ran off the other side and rolled several times. Several ambulances, a fire truck, and even a chaplain were on the scene. It was at that point that I decided to get serious about safety. Fortunately my wife was also there, so it'd be easier to justify spending lots of money on a cage and such in pursuit of safety!

To get started turning my car into a dedicated track car, I started stripping the car out. Everything was removed, except for the power steering. Still on the fence about that one...
DELETED
- Stereo
- AC
- Heater
- All interior
- Air pump
- Seat belts
- Both air bags
- Door glass (it now has lexan sides windows for transportation)
- Gutted doors

Once the car was good and stripped, I gathered some parts to get it ready for the cage builder.

New non-sunroof roof skin, roof support, and headliner from BMW. Didn't use the headliner. Plans for the car changed when I decided to put in a full cage, rather than a rear roll bar.

Car at the Godspeed Fabrication in Kent, WA. I highly recommend them. Extremely skilled and reasonably priced.

Roof has been removed for the cage and new roof skin.

Cage being built. The details in it are excellent. Very tight fit with the A-pillars.

You can see the mounting points for the main hoop here.

You can see the holes drilled in the window for mounting lexan windows.

Cage is wrapped up and ready for paint

Gutted door panels after paint

Back from paint for some reassembly and installing the fire suppression system.

If you look closely, you can see one of the fire suppression nozzles mounted where the AC controls used to be.

The car is now headed to AMS AutoWorks in Puyallup, WA for the wiring work, building a control panel, and a few other things.

This is the control panel being build. It includes START, IGNITION, HAZARDS, and TRACTION CONTROL. Both panels are being made in dry carbon. I'm really excited about it. So far it's looking VERY clean.

It's still there now. I'll keep updating the thread as I get more updates. It should be out in a few weeks.

As for the future, the only thing I'm planning on doing this winter is the rod bearings and stiffer springs. The car is very quick around the track, but it doesn't feel as lively as i'd like. Springs are too soft for a dedicated track car. I'd like to do all Bimmerworld aero on the car, but that's going on the back burner for a while after how much this project has cost.

Hope you guys like!
Jump to top OkinawaFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 06:10:44 AM   #2
OkinawaFD3S

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 race car build thread

Reserved for future awesome-ness!
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 07:46:19 AM   #3
Kal_el

In the garage:

United States

Wow man, nice build. I'm in Lacey now, hopefully I'll get to see this thing!
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 03:37:50 PM   #4
kippers4brkfast

In the garage:

United States

Nice build, great read.
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 04:26:48 PM   #5
OkinawaFD3S

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_el View Post
Wow man, nice build. I'm in Lacey now, hopefully I'll get to see this thing!
Thatís awesome. Iím in Lacey too.
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 07:32:06 PM   #6
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

I'm guessing you were stationed in Okinawa? I was on Futenma for 2 years. What branch?

2003 BMW M3 Steel Gray/Cinnamon - Current

Beisan VANOS "Bulletproofed" | eVenturi Intake | BC Coilovers (BR) | 219M Wheels | CSL SMG Flash | MotorSport Hardware 90mm Race Stud conversion

2011 BMW 328i E92 Tasman Green/Oyster - For Sale

ST Coilovers | Apex EC-7 18s staggered | MSport Front Bumper | High Kick Spoiler

Instagram: @Kwakjoe

Jump to top Kwakjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 07:45:05 PM   #7
OkinawaFD3S

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
I'm guessing you were stationed in Okinawa? I was on Futenma for 2 years. What branch?
Ah, cool. I always felt bad that marines werenít able to get cars unless they were E6 or married. Were you able to have a car while you were there?

Iím in the Army. I was on Torii for three of the best years of my life.
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 07:46:25 PM   #8
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkinawaFD3S View Post
Ah, cool. I always felt bad that marines werenít able to get cars unless they were E6 or married. Were you able to have a car while you were there?

Iím in the Army. I was on Torii for three of the best years of my life.
Yeah luckily for my unit we could get it if we were NCO's so my friends had cars and I drove theirs

Probably the best two years of my life. Now enjoying the civ div life while collecting bah from gi bill

2003 BMW M3 Steel Gray/Cinnamon - Current

Beisan VANOS "Bulletproofed" | eVenturi Intake | BC Coilovers (BR) | 219M Wheels | CSL SMG Flash | MotorSport Hardware 90mm Race Stud conversion

2011 BMW 328i E92 Tasman Green/Oyster - For Sale

ST Coilovers | Apex EC-7 18s staggered | MSport Front Bumper | High Kick Spoiler

Instagram: @Kwakjoe

Jump to top Kwakjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 07:49:35 PM   #9
OkinawaFD3S

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Yeah luckily for my unit we could get it if we were NCO's so my friends had cars and I drove theirs

Probably the best two years of my life. Now enjoying the civ div life while collecting bah from gi bill
Okinawa really ruined me for spirited street driving though. The mountain roads up north were absolutely incredible. Some of the best nights of my life weíre spent up there, ripping through the mountains in a miata with friends.

Roads in the US are so boring in comparison, hence why I got tired of having my second car being set up for street.
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 08:35:09 PM   #10
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkinawaFD3S View Post
As for the future, the only thing I'm planning on doing this winter is the rod bearings and stiffer springs. The car is very quick around the track, but it doesn't feel as lively as i'd like. Springs are too soft for a dedicated track car. I'd like to do all Bimmerworld aero on the car, but that's going on the back burner for a while after how much this project has cost.

Hope you guys like!
Are you running 700 spring rate in the front or the rear? Most here will run 100 higher in the rear. A 600/700 spring rate is probably the sweet spot for a R compound, I'm surprised you think that's soft. What's your sway bar settings at? Car has too much roll?
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote