BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Aug-29-2016, 03:19:39 AM   #21
cowboyM3
Banned

United States

Default Re: That one 95 M3 HPDE build

Looking good man, miss my '95 AW driving up by Nebraska line around Hiawatha with the sweetcorn growing summertime, best open driving roads in the world
Jump to top cowboyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-30-2016, 05:18:38 PM   #22
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

God Damn! I wish I'd zinc coated mine now. They weren't very corroded so I just cleaned them up and painted the heads but yours look fantastic! I'm going through a similar suspension refresh now albeit a lot slower! Keep up the good work!
Old Sat, Sep-17-2016, 03:54:58 AM   #23
unloadedak

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
God Damn! I wish I'd zinc coated mine now. They weren't very corroded so I just cleaned them up and painted the heads but yours look fantastic! I'm going through a similar suspension refresh now albeit a lot slower! Keep up the good work!
Thanks man! It's the first time I've plated hardware to this degree and I am sooo glad I did. I priced new bolts from BMW and it was about 4x more expensive than plating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Looking good man, miss my '95 AW driving up by Nebraska line around Hiawatha with the sweetcorn growing summertime, best open driving roads in the world
There are some excellent country roads to drive around on that's for sure. I don't think this car will be on them, that's for the E46 haha.

I’ve had a decently productive week. My schedule/plan has changed a bit after I realized some issues with it but everything should still work out on time. First things first I got some parts for this over the last couple weeks, don’t remember posting them; set of TCKline DAs, GC medium front bar, and hard motorsports dash plate.

Tore down the S50 to get ready for machine shop/refreshing. I think the chassis is going to take precedence over this for now. I want to get the car caged and interior painted before winter, painting in the cold is never a good idea imo.

Dash and HVAC box have been taken out. I also removed the drivers window stuff, passenger door is so close to the wall that idk if I’ll be able to take it out right now. It was a productive Sunday.

Tuesday night I went crazy on the interior. I removed the steering column, pedals, booster, and entire harness. I began weeding out the harness during the week. Once it’s been weeded out, I’ll attempt to remove the front and rear glass myself, then begin grinding down misc things in the interior to prep it for the cage as well as the engine bay to prep it for paint. I’m thinking of a battleship grey type interior. Function>form here.

next;
weed through wiring harness
remove glass and figure out local lexan dealers
interior cage & engine bay prep
motor rebuilding
trans seals/detents/cleaning
design cage & study nasa rule book
[thinking of taking ideas from this cage]

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Last edited by unloadedak; Sat, Sep-17-2016 at 03:58:01 AM.
Jump to top unloadedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-17-2016, 03:42:52 PM   #24
m3onrails
aka PurduinaM3

In the garage:

United States

Wow, what a build thread! I wish I had known about zinc plating hardware back when I did my refresh years ago! I love your OCD and how clean everything is, I also hate working on a dirty car. Can't wait to see this thing finished and on the track!
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 12:45:07 AM   #25
JClopes
Registered Loser

In the garage:

United States

Great build! Love the attention to detail
Old Wed, Sep-28-2016, 01:08:02 AM   #26
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

Great work! Love the e34 steering coupler, so much feedback to the steering wheel!
Old Fri, Oct-07-2016, 01:40:19 AM   #27
unloadedak

United States

thanks guys!

small update.

harness is oh i'd say 98% trimmed. i removed all of the modules on the passenger side, except ABS. It's almost there, I've still got to:
  • remove high beams & interior dimmer
  • bypass check control module (this took forever to figure out)
  • remove most of headlight switch, will wire in a spdt toggle
  • wire up two speed wiper circuit with spdt toggle
  • fix some wires that were messed up by someone in the past
  • replace those god awful black splice boxes with some parallel crimps or butt if only two wires
  • finish trimming wires back to prevent shorts
  • rewrap in tesa tape

From left to right; engine bay harness to fan/headlights --> fuse box --> cluster/stalks/headlight sw/ignition --> +12V charger port for go pro --> ABS plug --> tail lights/fuel pump/vss

most of the trash thus far. will be weighing it when i'm fully done trimming

Small update on chassis fab. I've decided to build the cage like this cage. Which means I will be removing the rear bulkhead and I will also be removing the spare tire well and covering that up with some sheet aluminum. It's looking like cage will be happening some time in December hopefully. Glass should be out this weekend and harness should be prepped as much as it can be outside the chassis this weekend as well. Once I've trimmed all my brackets, ground down plinth areas, received & installed TCKlines, mounted some wheels, and double checked everything. It'll get towed to my buddies shop where we will knock out the cage on it. Any spare time between fabrication will be dedicated to the S50 being refreshed; it's completely torn down right now and being cleaned up. I don't have much S50 motivation because I truly want an S54 in this car, but that would add at least another year onto the deadline.... seat time>instagram likes

next;
partial harness prep
remove front & rear glass
interior & engine bay prep for cage
motor rebuilding

Old Mon, Oct-31-2016, 01:55:25 AM   #28
unloadedak

United States

I’ve been working A LOT on the chassis in the last couple weeks. It may not look like much but it’s the result of oh I’d say around 80h of grinding and cleaning. It’s getting there. It is almost ready to be caged!

Rear glass was finally removed and then I immediately grabbed the angle grinder to remove the bulkhead.

Engine bay grinding began as well; removed seam sealer and various brackets that will not be needed.

S54 oil pan, pump, dipstick, and filter housing acquired and cleaned up.

I cleaned up the upper area of the bulkhead, this was a very tedious process to make it as smooth as possible with the factory sheetmetal contours.

CF SUNROOF!

I then grabbed two cans of berryman carb cleaner to soak the pistons, rods, and other misc parts. I’m almost done cleaning all the pistons/rods.

Removed the front glass and found some rust…. I’ll just TIG whatever is left back together and possibly just run a lexan front as well, still undecided on that.

Began trimming down the doors! Fine trimming to happen this week.

I’d call this a 98% prepped interior, ready for a cage.

It looks so good with no glass

I’ve been ordering a lot of engine rebuild parts and tools lately and planning to get atleast the short block rebuilt before the car goes to buddies for cage. I may even try to have the cylinder head refreshed and installed onto that short block as well, we will just have to see how much spare time I’ve got in November!

next;
finish minor remaining cage prep
install tcklines, steering column, and get chassis rolling
rebuilding s50

Old Tue, Nov-01-2016, 12:04:56 AM   #29
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

jeez that things STRIPPED!! good work!
Old Mon, Nov-28-2016, 03:36:19 AM   #30
unloadedak

United States

I’ve been busy with the car all November, here is a quick and simple update after this long weekend!

Drivers door has been fully gutted, will be using nylon coated wire rope for an interior door handle

TCK DA coilovers have been installed

Valve train was removed, soaked in Berrymans and reinstalled with fresh Erling valve seals and a quick lap job.

Block has been painted, honed, and deck cleaned up.

I’ve acquired a longacre rear view, full VAC seat mount setup, OMP weld on quick release, pair of Sabelt 6pt harnesses, renown 130r motorsport stitched suede wheel, joes racing window net mounting kit sparco suede gloves, a whole bunch of OE parts from thebmwpartsstore, and 17x9 et42 apex arc 8s.

I also installed the S2R carbon sunroof plug, just a quick/dry install right now. I’ve got to drill out some of the holes that don’t line up perfectly and bring some silicone over to the shop to seal it up.

Mounted the Recaro profi spg with a driver’s side VAC kit that I had lying around from my E46M. Installed the dash and crappy OE wheel to get it mobile. Just a couple more things and it’s off to my buddies fab shop in early December.

I finally got the chassis on the ground on black Friday. Much more fun than shopping.
I used my old gold RC090s on 235/40 federals, they’re actually 243mm width, so they don’t fit too well but good enough to go get a cage. I really like the look of them on the car and might to make them work for street wheels and get something more aggressive than RS3s for the apex.

Like I’ve said, cage fab to happen early December and then the car will come back to my shop for paint prep while I simultaneously start to get the S50 long block back together. I’m hoping that 2017 is all reassembly! Plan is to be running by end of May at the latest.

next;
final details before fab work [misc hardware, templates for Al block off panels, and one more xylene cleaning]
get car to rebellion forge for fab
rebuilding s50

Last edited by unloadedak; Mon, Nov-28-2016 at 03:43:35 AM.