BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Dec-21-2015, 03:14:12 PM   #21
robgill
I'd rather be at the track.

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Rob's '02 Tiag Street/Track Build

For the header install I used this DIY which was pretty helpful. Ran into a couple issues along the way. First is that one of the bolts for the suspension reinforcement pan going into the control arm had a head broken off. Tried just about everything to get it out with no luck. Going to replace the control arms anyways so just left it. "Easy-out" fail:

Second issue and lesson learned is get the right 1/4 inch ratchet/socket to take off/on all of the header nuts. I tried a couple different ones and the best was a pass thru ratchet. Especially on the OE headers as space is limited by the flanges being bent back over the nut. I was able to get every nut on/off from above, but it was a struggle.

Headers finally off:

Decent set of headers. I assume they are eBay because of the FCAB clearance issue. They could pretty easily be modified some more to fit. But ultimately ended up ordering a new set of Fabspeed headers as part of their black Friday sale. Long term going to install the Fabspeed headers with the Euro section 1.

Taking it today to get it inspected!

Last edited by robgill; Mon, Dec-21-2015 at 03:17:50 PM.
Jump to top robgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-22-2015, 04:05:42 PM   #22
robgill

In the garage:

United States

Passed MD inspection, glad that's out of the way. Now onto the wheels. I picked up 2 rear Style 67s from eBay and dropped off the set with Joe at Alloy Wheel Repaid MD to be refinished. Sticking with the OE Hyper Silver color and a set of new Continental ExtremeContact DWS from Tirerack.

In the meantime, put my track set of ARC-8s on:

Old Sun, Jan-10-2016, 05:17:14 PM   #23
robgill

In the garage:

United States

Lots done in the past few weeks over the holidays! Going to break it into a couple posts but got the VANOS rebuild done, Fabspeed headers installed, CSL section 1, rerouted O2 sensors and a bunch of general maintenance.

First priority was the VANOS Beisan rebuild. Can not speak highly enough about this kit, really well designed with amazing instructions. I did the seals, new exhaust hub, new solenoid and the rattle fixes. All were preventative, I had no specific issues.

Step one was to get the valve cover off, everything looked good and the car has clearly been well maintained

First small issue I ran into is my 24mm wrench wouldn't fit on the cams. I thought it was the wrong size until I relaized it was just too wide. So pulled out the bench grinder and took few mm off.

Once I got the VANOS off I was pleased to see the exhaust hub tabs looked really good and the cam bolts were all tight.

Got everything off and headed to the bench.
Old Sun, Jan-10-2016, 05:28:42 PM   #24
robgill

In the garage:

United States

First I did all of the seals which was relatively easy. The rattle fix was a little more challenging. I debated doing the rattle fix as I was a little nervous messing with the engine timing... but all went well and glad I did it! Got the new hub installed:

Then went after the splined shafts. One note here, make sure the custom Beisan socket is all the way into the bearing cover holes, its a tight fit. My first hit with the impact wrench was a fail.

Old Sun, Jan-10-2016, 05:42:38 PM   #25
robgill

In the garage:

United States

With the VANOS out I took the time to replace the cam bolts and timing chain guide. Again debated doing this, especially taking the cam gear off to replace the chain guide. Dove in and just did it but took my time and marked everything to get it back together the exact same.

One challenge was getting the chain tensioner on/off. Not a lot of room with the radiator hose in the way. A deep socket is really needed but I was able to get it loose with this:

Getting it back on was more challenging. Had to take the air pump & cooling tank out to get more room and finally got it tight.

To handle the engine timing I ordered this tool set from eBay, worked great. If you follow the Beisan instructions exactly it's pretty straight forward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111772653750

Old Wed, Jan-13-2016, 07:07:10 PM   #26
robgill

In the garage:

United States

Once I got the valve cover back on, I started the headers and section 1 install. First I had to reroute the rear O2 sensor wires. This thread was very helpful.

I ended up following OPs plan but used the wire holder out of the valve cover instead of the euro piece.

Pulling the post cat O2 wires from the loom:

Trimmed the wire holder from the valve cover:

Mounted on the two empty chassis studs. Looks great but ultimately had to make some modifications. I ordered these nuts from ECS to use on the 2 studs:

Routed the wires using the previously mentioned clips in this thread, ordered them from ECS. Yes you have to order 20, but it's only $20... And I ended up using them on the front wires also. I do have extras is someone wants a couple, PM me. Happy to drop them in the mail.

I did not have to cut the plastic gas filter cover, there was a small space that they fit through.

Final config, one wire was just a little too short. Bummer, it looked so nice...

My '02 E46M Build Thread

Last edited by robgill; Thu, Jan-14-2016 at 11:50:58 PM.
Old Thu, Jan-14-2016, 12:38:02 AM   #27
dobeid2011

United States

love seein this! polish that vanos while you got it out!
Jump to top dobeid2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-14-2016, 11:50:34 PM   #28
robgill

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeid2011 View Post
love seein this! polish that vanos while you got it out!
Absolutely, I gave it a good once over with some fine steel wool. Looks great!

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Old Thu, Jan-14-2016, 11:59:37 PM   #29
robgill

In the garage:

United States

Once I got the O2 sensor in, time to get the headers and section 1 installed. I'm getting pretty good a swapping headers, got this done over a Sunday afternoon. Went with OEM gaskets, though it was nice the Fabspeed headers came with hardware.

Decided to use longer studs from ECS with torx heads for easy install. One stud was going in odd so I ran a thread tap to clean it up. Once on I was able to get to every nut from above except two of the back ones. Got those last two on with a wrench from below. Fit is really good, plenty of space around FCAB.

Pre install:

Longer studs installed:

Pics of flange gaps. Not perfect but decent for the price.:

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Old Fri, Jan-15-2016, 12:05:27 AM   #30
robgill

In the garage:

United States

The section 1 install was a challenge solo. Used a jack to hold it up. Biggest PITA was the nuts/bolts between section 1 and 2. With the heat shields on the cats there is barely enough room to slide the nut in, much less hold it. Ended up holding the nut with some needle nose locking pliers to get each one started, then got a wrench on it. Hope I never have to take these off...

Then to cap it off installed a Status Gruppe SCZA Rear Muffler. Sounds AWESOME

My '02 E46M Build Thread

Last edited by robgill; Sun, May-22-2016 at 05:36:33 PM.