BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 11:51:08 AM   #1
MarcZCP

Canada

Default Understanding camshaft timing

I've read through a multitude of threads on various forums. Lots of emphasis on the sweet tooth, and that is very easy to understand as soon as you try it. Less clear is the method of rotating the hubs to the correct position.

I've spent time thinking about what we're actually trying to achieve here, and want to see if my conclusion is correct. Walking through the Beisan method:

-Cams are in the correct (fully retarded) position relative to the crank (by use of crank locking pin and timing bridge)
-With the hubs loose enough to rotate, both splined shafts are inserted into the first tooth on the hub.
-VANOS is pushed forward, which will first bottom out the VANOS pistons and then push in the splined shafts.
-Once VANOS is fully bottomed, hub rotation is considered correct and hub bolts tightening sequence begins.

What I get from the above is that the whole goal here is to line everything up such that the cam is at its most retarded timing when the VANOS piston is bottomed. Is that right?

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT Interlagos blue on grey
2008 Mazda3 - Daily driver
2005 Mazda RX8 - Gone but not forgotten
Jump to top MarcZCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 05:53:17 AM   #2
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Understanding camshaft timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcZCP View Post
I've read through a multitude of threads on various forums. Lots of emphasis on the sweet tooth, and that is very easy to understand as soon as you try it. Less clear is the method of rotating the hubs to the correct position.

I've spent time thinking about what we're actually trying to achieve here, and want to see if my conclusion is correct. Walking through the Beisan method:

-Cams are in the correct (fully retarded) position relative to the crank (by use of crank locking pin and timing bridge)
-With the hubs loose enough to rotate, both splined shafts are inserted into the first tooth on the hub.
-VANOS is pushed forward, which will first bottom out the VANOS pistons and then push in the splined shafts.
-Once VANOS is fully bottomed, hub rotation is considered correct and hub bolts tightening sequence begins.

What I get from the above is that the whole goal here is to line everything up such that the cam is at its most retarded timing when the VANOS piston is bottomed. Is that right?
Yep... it is. Forum wouldn't let me just reply "Yep"

edit:

To expand on it a little. Make sure your hub is rotated CW all the way to where it stops (stopped by the cutouts in the sprockets) before you put the splined shafts in. First the straight splines will mesh into the camshaft, then as you push in more the helical splines of the splined shaft will mesh into the hub. This is where you want to turn the hub CCW only till the first tooth catches so the helical splines go in.

Last edited by Slowmobile; Mon, Mar-20-2017 at 05:59:19 AM.
Jump to top Slowmobile is offline   Reply With Quote