BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:29:48 PM   #11
PITT M3 RR
PA

United States

Default Re: Didn't know RTABs would make that much of a difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nny View Post
Eric, what was wrong with the AKG RTABS? I plan to purchase the black AKGs only because I don't have the tool to preload the OEM bushings.
The pre-load is the angle at which they're installed / pressed in. You'll see a lot of guys lock their suspension in while the car is fully in the air, then when dropped, all the bushings are under constant / max tension. As long as you press it in correctly, the brackets will be torqued at the spec'd point and you'll be good. That being said...poly for me or I'd like to try those monoball units.

My AKG 75D RTABS were quiet, then got real loud as the copper anti-seize dried out. Mobil1 makes a synthetic grease (red) for marine applications. You can get it at napa. I now use it anywhere that is exposed to the elements and it works!
Jump to top PITT M3 RR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:33:45 PM   #12
EricSMG
40 something

United States

I just use a long straight edge to align the Rtab carrier to about 8mm above the rear axle center point. Hold it there and then torque the Rtab bolt.

Note - this is only necessary for OE rtabs.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:38:25 PM   #13
Mr.Sono

In the garage:

United States

OEM with limiters, love them. Huge difference once you replace them. The rear becomes much more stable during hard accelerations. Now fcabs I did not replace, they seem to be in good shape. My one rtab went bad at 45k miles.
Jump to top Mr.Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:43:01 PM   #14
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sono View Post
OEM with limiters, love them. Huge difference once you replace them. The rear becomes much more stable during hard accelerations. Now fcabs I did not replace, they seem to be in good shape. My one rtab went bad at 45k miles.
OE fcabs are tough as nails and depending on how the car was driven can seem to last forever. My car is on its original 104k fcabs and they're tight as drums (single, woman owner). I'll be replacing them soon when I have the thrust plate off but only for completeness rather than need. For $80 ($100 w/housings) they're a no-brainer if the plate is coming off. Pop them off with a small puller then slip on the new ones by hand..... easy peezy.

Last edited by EricSMG; Sat, Mar-18-2017 at 03:46:35 PM.
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:44:58 PM   #15
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

In all of my e46s, I've always purchased the RE RTABS and they've been great, never had any noises.. I highly recommend them and their price is pretty good!
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

#StockTrunkGang

IG:_FRANK_STONE_
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:51:58 PM   #16
Mr.Sono

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
OE fcabs are tough as nails and depending on how the car was driven can seem to last forever. My car is on its original 104k fcabs and they're tight as drums. I'll be replacing them soon when I have the thrust plate off but only for completeness rather than need. For $80 ($100 w/housings) they're a no-brainer if the plate is coming off. Pop them off with a small puller then slip on the new ones by hand..... easy peezy.

I had an issue when I was about to replace fcab. Once I removed lollipop with two screws the fcabs seem to be ok so I left them in. Then I could not get them back in with two screws. The problem was, I could not get a screw aligned to put it back in. It was night nightmare for me. Next time I will order new screws, because I thing I shred some of them.
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:56:05 PM   #17
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sono View Post
I had an issue when I was about to replace fcab. Once I removed lollipop with two screws the fcabs seem to be ok so I left them in. Then I could not get them back in with two screws. The problem was, I could not get a screw aligned to put it back in. It was night nightmare for me. Next time I will order new screws, because I thing I shred some of them.
Oh yes, there is a trick to this for sure.

You want to guide the bracket using a large Phillips screwdriver. Put it through one hole in bracket and then up just barely into the chassis hole - careful not to go so deep as to hit the threads - and then push/slide the bracket all the way up and into place. Then quickly hand thread the other bolt in all the way... you should be good at this point.

That said, at ~45k miles your fcabs are probably like new so don't sweat it for a while.

Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 04:01:14 PM   #18
Mr.Sono

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Oh yes, there is a trick to this for sure.

You want to guide the bracket using a large Phillips screwdriver. Put it through one hole in bracket and then up just barely into the chassis hole - careful not to go so deep as to hit the threads - and then push/slide the bracket all the way up and into place. Then quickly hand thread the other bolt in all the way... you should be good at this point.

That said, at ~45k miles your fcabs are probably like new so don't sweat it for a while.
Yep, it was definitely a learning process. Next time should be smother.
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 11:52:34 PM   #19
PSUEng

United States

Last year I had the Turner limiter plates installed with the Meyle HD RTAB bushings. Noticed a big difference in turn in and handling.
Jump to top PSUEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 04:02:45 AM   #20
Karbon
Back to Basics

United States

Probably the best RTAB for the 46/36. Curious to see the improvement over poly and stock.

DINAN

Jump to top Karbon is offline   Reply With Quote