BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:37:42 PM   #11
pbonsalb

Default Re: E36 M3 NA catch can issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
This is my understanding also and how all motors I've seen are setup. The drain to the dipstick is just that, an oil drain.
The dipstick stem can also be a crankcase vent. I drilled a 5/16 hole through my dipstick tube just after it enters the pan, have an S62 crankcase vent separator attached to it with a breather filter on the other side and the drain capped (though I may feed it to a bung I have nearby on top of the pan).

I use a Burger can with breather filter off the valve cover vent.

My turbo S52 makes up to 500-700 rwhp and this works for me. I sometimes get oil smell in the cabin -- it's not the solution for everyone. If there was a no smell cost effective solution for my airflow levels I would consider it. I have played around with exhaust scavenge before.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:39:30 PM   #12
ejm416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
The howling noise is probably just the air going through your catch can setup. Somewhere is creating a Venturi and whistling
Could be, the shop i go to said the noise was coming from where the rear main seal is; which it does sound like its coming from there. But so far ive only found one thread that was similar to my situation, but nothing was really concluded in that thread. I was going to PM the OP but he hasnt logged into his bf.c account since early 2016, so that wouldve just been futile really.
Jump to top ejm416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 05:50:23 PM   #13
ejm416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The dipstick stem can also be a crankcase vent. I drilled a 5/16 hole through my dipstick tube just after it enters the pan, have an S62 crankcase vent separator attached to it with a breather filter on the other side and the drain capped (though I may feed it to a bung I have nearby on top of the pan).

I use a Burger can with breather filter off the valve cover vent.

My turbo S52 makes up to 500-700 rwhp and this works for me. I sometimes get oil smell in the cabin -- it's not the solution for everyone. If there was a no smell cost effective solution for my airflow levels I would consider it. I have played around with exhaust scavenge before.
Ive been thinking about exhuast scavenge, but to my understanding, at least i think; boosted cars have much higher exhuast temps than NA cars. So im not sure how well this would work in my case. If it does work, it could be a viable option since im in florida and have no emissions tests.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 06:09:40 PM   #14
pbonsalb

Its not the temperature that matters but rather the angle and position of the scavenge. This method was used on old school naturally aspirated modded cars years ago. I have had mixed success with it. One thing it may do is line your exhaust with oil residue, which may result in occasional smoking, could result in a fire, could soak your muffler packing, and could add drag to the exhaust flow. I am not sure about all those things, but have thought about them.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 06:44:52 PM   #15
ejm416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Its not the temperature that matters but rather the angle and position of the scavenge. This method was used on old school naturally aspirated modded cars years ago. I have had mixed success with it. One thing it may do is line your exhaust with oil residue, which may result in occasional smoking, could result in a fire, could soak your muffler packing, and could add drag to the exhaust flow. I am not sure about all those things, but have thought about them.
What i meant by temp is, that the higher temp will help vaporize the oil vapors much easier. I think this would reduce oil residue in the exhaust if most of it is just pretty much burned off. At least thats how I see it, not sure if its true. Those concerns you listed are still very possible though, i know a lot of people swear by this method though.

EDIT: wouldnt running a catch can inline with the exhaust decrease the gunking quite a bit?

Last edited by ejm416; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 08:39:41 PM. Reason: Double post if not