BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:03:53 AM   #1
ejm416

United States

Default E36 M3 NA catch can issues

some backstory, switched to an M50 manifold recently and saw how much crud i had in my stock intake, so i decided it would be fun to install a catch can. This process took a few weeks as i couldnt really settle on one, i finally settled on a mishimoto compact baffled can (its ok at best, i packed a bit a of brillo pad in it to help filter some more, as a lot of oil would get through). Bought all of my hoses and what not and tried routing it from the info i acquired on the forums, it was first routed to the CCV port on eric's M50 manifold kit. Right here the car was pulling too much vacuum, felt like a vacuum leak and it had a strange howling noise. Gathered some more info and saw I needed to add a PCV valve inline (microgard PVC #345), this fixed the enormous vacuum leak i had before but the howling noise persisted. Took it to my local BMW shop (unfortunately they dont exactly have too much experience with this kind of stuff, they mostly deal with stock cars), they concluded the system was still pulling too much vacuum and that the noise was coming from around the rear main seal. Got a bit of an idea to change the fitting im using, the fitting from the CCV dump on the s54 pan(the one by the dipstick tube), cut the long tube and installed it where the obd1 IAT sensor goes on the manifold. The noise still persisted, so at this point im fairly jaded and out of options on what to do. Dont really feel like using the stock CCV as i have the port on my s54 pan plugged, i also like the fact you can moniter the engine health with a catch can. Also wouldnt like a breather can as vacuum is an added benefit to the motor.

Now since not everybody has the patience to read my little novel, ill include a sparknotes version
1. crankcase>catch can>ccv port on erics kit; felt like a vacuum leak and had a howling noise
2. Crankcase>catch can>pcv valve>ccv port on erics kit; vacuum leak gone, howling noise still there
3.crankcase>catch can>pcv valve>new smaller connection ported where OBD1 IAT sensor goes; some thing, howling noise persists

All help appreciated.
Jump to top ejm416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:06:20 AM   #2
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 NA catch can issues

what

5char

http://m.imgur.com/qpaSWGP?r
Jump to top Pierre i am is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:07:48 AM   #3
ejm416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre i am View Post
what

5char
Did I post this in the wrong section?
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:29:51 AM   #4
Braymond141

United States

What is the oil dipstick drain status in all of this? You MUST drain that catch can to the crankcase. The bottom end pressurizes and has to be able to vent through the oil separator setup. If you leave the dipstick drain open you create a vacuum leak.

Ideally you plug the original oil separator hole at the manifold. You add a bung pre-MAF to pull vacuum. Drain is still a must.

This is how I setup my supercharger kits. Manifold hole is plugged (S52) or not added (M50 swaps). The S62 oil separator has no diaphragm and drains to dipstick.

Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 04:40:32 AM   #5
ejm416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
What is the oil dipstick drain status in all of this? You MUST drain that catch can to the crankcase. The bottom end pressurizes and has to be able to vent through the oil separator setup. If you leave the dipstick drain open you create a vacuum leak.

Ideally you plug the original oil separator hole at the manifold. You add a bung pre-MAF to pull vacuum. Drain is still a must.

This is how I setup my supercharger kits. Manifold hole is plugged (S52) or not added (M50 swaps). The S62 oil separator has no diaphragm and drains to dipstick.

Drain is plugged with a bolt, car has an s54 oil pan.

I have the port from the vanos cover connected to the in port of my can, is that what you mean?
And i didnt mind draining the oil which is why i decided not to go with an S62 separator.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 06:31:36 AM   #6
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm416 View Post
Drain is plugged with a bolt, car has an s54 oil pan.

I have the port from the vanos cover connected to the in port of my can, is that what you mean?
And i didnt mind draining the oil which is why i decided not to go with an S62 separator.
You need to vent the crankcase! There is positive pressure in the oil pan. It builds up and will blow seals or add drag to the downward movement of the pistons. Draining the catch can to the pan resolves this and keeps the system near OE.

Last edited by Braymond141; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 06:44:57 AM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 07:04:30 AM   #7
ejm416

United States

Quote:
You need to vent the crankcase! There is positive pressure in the oil pan. It builds up and will blow seals or add drag to the downward movement of the pistons. Draining the catch can to the pan resolves this and keeps the system near OE.
The system is being vented to atmosphere right now, the part that is plugged is the return line for the seperated oil. My issues with sending the oil back to the pan is that blow by isnt just oil, but other crud as well.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 12:31:26 PM   #8
pbonsalb

Quote:
Isn't the crankcase vented through the valve cover? For example, there is a timing chain hole from the valve cover through the motor to the pan.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 12:40:04 PM   #9
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Isn't the crankcase vented through the valve cover? For example, there is a timing chain hole from the valve cover through the motor to the pan.
This is my understanding also and how all motors I've seen are setup. The drain to the dipstick is just that, an oil drain.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 12:42:13 PM   #10
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

The howling noise is probably just the air going through your catch can setup. Somewhere is creating a Venturi and whistling