BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 07:25:54 PM   #11
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Tracking Owner of Abandoned M3

Good news - Called security today and the head of parking knew exactly the car I was calling about, haha. Apparently the car has been there for almost two years. Not to leave you guys hanging but, his parting words where "I think you might be the solution to our problem." Might need to find myself a trailer; fingers crossed.

Ill keep this updated as things progress.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 08:24:55 PM   #12
betrezra

United States

It's a shame to throw away a perfectly good E36
Movie quote..... better off dead
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 09:07:50 PM   #13
kevinwilly

Wait- so instead of tracking down the owner of the car, you are just going to try and get the garage to put a lien on it and take it?

Can't say I really approve of this line of thinking. Is the car parked there legally? If so, then they don't have any way of legally putting a lien on it.

You might be able to talk to the police and try and claim an abandoned vehicle, but they will attempt to contact the owner of the car during that process. And if I found out someone was trying to claim something I owned without talking to me I CERTAINLY wouldn't be willing to work out a deal with them on it.

I mean- I'm interested to know how this might turn out... but just don't be a dick about it. There's a lot of legitimate reasons to not have moved a vehicle in two years. I've done it myself MANY times.
Jump to top kevinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 09:39:07 PM   #14
tripitz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
Wait- so instead of tracking down the owner of the car, you are just going to try and get the garage to put a lien on it and take it?

Can't say I really approve of this line of thinking. Is the car parked there legally? If so, then they don't have any way of legally putting a lien on it.

You might be able to talk to the police and try and claim an abandoned vehicle, but they will attempt to contact the owner of the car during that process. And if I found out someone was trying to claim something I owned without talking to me I CERTAINLY wouldn't be willing to work out a deal with them on it.

I mean- I'm interested to know how this might turn out... but just don't be a dick about it. There's a lot of legitimate reasons to not have moved a vehicle in two years. I've done it myself MANY times.
Even if this approach works, it may end up costing a lot of money on title insurance that some states require.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 10:09:07 PM   #15
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Def not trying to take someone's car. Security knows the owner and is getting me in touch with them.

Even if they did go the lien route, I'm pretty sure it has to be sold at auction. Not interested in that at all. I'm either going to buy this thing from the owner for cheap or pass.
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 03:05:11 PM   #16
B329iC

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
Def not trying to take someone's car. Security knows the owner and is getting me in touch with them.

Even if they did go the lien route, I'm pretty sure it has to be sold at auction. Not interested in that at all. I'm either going to buy this thing from the owner for cheap or pass.
Good luck. Doing it the right way and not backdooring someone. I hope you can pick it up on the cheap.
Jump to top B329iC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 03:20:11 PM   #17
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

curious to see what happens here.. Take some pics of the car too!
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@E46_M3_Owners_Of_The_World
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 03:33:23 PM   #18
kevinwilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post

Gotcha. Just making sure, because some of the ideas that have been thrown around here have been pretty questionable.

Hope you can score it for cheap!
Jump to top kevinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 04:19:29 PM   #19
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
There's a lot of legitimate reasons to not have moved a vehicle in two years. I've done it myself MANY times.
It depends on where you live. In a populated area like mine, every Joe and his cousin would stack cars 3-high in the front yard if you let them. That's why there are neighborhood rules. It eventually looks like sh*t. If you head 100 miles out to the woods, nobody cares. I'm guessing you live out a ways or it's in the garage.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Last edited by egebhardt; Fri, Mar-17-2017 at 04:34:32 PM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 04:38:10 PM   #20
S54VAGE

United States

I don't remember where I heard this and it could have just been someone b.s.ing me so take it with a grain of salt: I heard that after leaving a vehicle parked on someone else's property for a certain amount of time it changes ownership to the owner of the property..

Even if true it's probably state specific. Will search webz and edit post if I find anything.

Good to hear that you're attempting to contact owner though.