BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 02:32:36 AM   #1
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Default Tracking Owner of Abandoned M3

Kind of a random question for the group.

This last July, I started a new job and when visiting the main office for our monthly staff meeting, I immediately noticed another E36 M3 in the parking lot. When I got closer to it that first day, it was apparent that the car had been sitting for a bit. Didn't think much of it at the time, just an extended business trip etc. Well, I was there again today for the 9th time in 9 months and the car has yet to move. I went up to inspect the car a bit more today and the car registration last expired over two years ago.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could track the owner down? Want to see if he would sell it for super cheap considering it's pretty abandoned at this point. I'm considering submitting a request for information to the DMV (MV-15 in NYS) but have a feeling they won't be sending much information.

Anyone have experience in a similar situation?
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 02:34:38 AM   #2
betrezra

United States

Default Re: Tracking Owner of Abandoned M3

I grew up with a buddy in highschool who's father was in law enforcement..... he was int in a car...... and had his dad run the plates. This was in LA 30 yrs ago....... probably not able to do this today w/o a good reason.......

GL.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 02:53:41 AM   #3
j0rdan J

In the garage:

United States

Who owns the parking lot?
If it is your work place, give them the plate number and see if they can help.
Alternatively ask the owner of the parking lot to lien sale you the car (of course you would have to get keys made, and have unknown history on the car if you go this route)
Jump to top j0rdan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 03:23:51 AM   #4
TomS2
BS Buster

In the garage:

United States

Run a Carfax on the plate. Then you will know if the registered owner is local.

See if the company has info on cars in the lot. When I worked for a fortune 200 I had to tell security that I had more than one car, and every time I took the roadster in I made sure to tell security it was there. They had one plate on file, and that car had a parking sticker in the windshield.

You also could leave a note under the wiper and wait for a response.
I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
Jump to top TomS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 04:02:52 AM   #5
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Simple answer: Title abstract. Go to DMV with plate, registration, VIN, or any identifying information you can find. Ask for a title abstract form. Fill it out and for $10 they should give you owner or record.

Complicated Answer: Similar to what was mentioned above, but I think you need a mechanic's or garageman's lien. Owner of the parking lot has to lien the car, file appropriate notices, foreclose the lien, advertise appropriate sales notices, then you could purchase at the foreclosure sale. However, I doubt the parking lot/business owner would satisfy the type of entity that could make use of that statute, though. Think it has to be a merchant in the business of towing, repairing, storing vehicles, but there's probably a way around it.

You'll want a lawyer, and if so, I can help.
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 12:17:45 PM   #6
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
I grew up with a buddy in highschool who's father was in law enforcement..... he was int in a car...... and had his dad run the plates. This was in LA 30 yrs ago....... probably not able to do this today w/o a good reason.......

GL.
The good ol'days. If only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS2 View Post
Run a Carfax on the plate. Then you will know if the registered owner is local.

See if the company has info on cars in the lot. When I worked for a fortune 200 I had to tell security that I had more than one car, and every time I took the roadster in I made sure to tell security it was there. They had one plate on file, and that car had a parking sticker in the windshield.

You also could leave a note under the wiper and wait for a response.
Left three notes over the last few months to no avil. Good idea on security, we only have to buzz our pass to get in but if the car has been there for that long someone has to know who's it is.

Had a carfax run last night and the last registration matches the train station parking permit on the rear view. Gonna try to give the town/parking people a call as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
Simple answer: Title abstract. Go to DMV with plate, registration, VIN, or any identifying information you can find. Ask for a title abstract form. Fill it out and for $10 they should give you owner or record.

Complicated Answer: Similar to what was mentioned above, but I think you need a mechanic's or garageman's lien. Owner of the parking lot has to lien the car, file appropriate notices, foreclose the lien, advertise appropriate sales notices, then you could purchase at the foreclosure sale. However, I doubt the parking lot/business owner would satisfy the type of entity that could make use of that statute, though. Think it has to be a merchant in the business of towing, repairing, storing vehicles, but there's probably a way around it.

You'll want a lawyer, and if so, I can help.
Yeah I don't think work will follow through on the lien side of it. Have you ever filed a Title Abstract request? That was my initial idea but unsure if the DMV will actually send me anything.

Here is the form, https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv15.pdf any suggestions on which boxes to check on page 4?
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 03:05:43 PM   #7
cblock

In the garage:

United States

I'd say box 14 I'd think.

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 02:06:14 PM   #8
BlackHawkRacing

In the garage:

United States

Small update - Called the town listed on the parking pass hanging from the rear view mirror, lady was more than happy to help me.... Only issue is the pass number has 4 digits and their pass only uses 3 digits. The plot thickens.

Filed the DMV record request and am giving security at work a call later today. We will see what happens.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 05:05:51 PM   #9
egebhardt

United States

You'll eventually do society a favor by getting this car into your possession. Abandoned cars are an eyesore to everyone. Keep at it!
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 05:50:43 PM   #10
betrezra

United States

Make sure these is nobody in it .......{{{too much CSI... I know}}}