BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 10:05:58 PM   #21
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: OEM bosch headlights install

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner_27 View Post
So I have these 2 head lights, ordered some connectors for 1
They're pretty easy to install if you buy the connectors posted above and just take the US connectors and splice them to the Bosch headlight connector. Both grounds go together. 1 wire is high beam, 1 low beam and the last one is for the small 921 bulb that needs to be spliced into the turn signal (if you want to).
Old Fri, Mar-17-2017, 10:07:58 PM   #22
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Seriously though. Old school. Remember making mounting brackets with sheet metal and a Dremel tool in 2007? I do. People have it easy now with the drop in projector kits.
With the Bosch I didn't think there was a plug and play install? I thought you have to modify the bracket from theretrofitsource or make your own still?
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 03:25:04 AM   #23
Anubis
Dr. Awesomesauce

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
With the Bosch I didn't think there was a plug and play install? I thought you have to modify the bracket from theretrofitsource or make your own still?
This is correct.

1999 Estoril Blue/Dove Grey M3
Jump to top Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 12:20:01 PM   #24
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I wasn't referring specifically to Bosch lights. Personally, I did my retrofit in a set of Depos, and there are drop in options for those now.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-18-2017, 02:17:26 PM   #25
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Gotcha. That confirms what I'd read then.
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 07:49:53 PM   #26
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Quote:
People retrofit H1 headlights because they're setup for a direct swap to HID's. Just because you like your H7 headlights does not mean they are the best. There is a reason that every manufacturer (including BMW) uses HID headlights, not your amazing H7 bulbs. If you're arguing for keeping it "stock" then fine, the H7's still look ugly as hell compared to the projector H1's but for keeping it original then fine I'll give you that. But the fact that you're ignorant enough to think you H7 headlights, that no one wants, produce better light output that HID's is just astounding. There are no posts about people swapping in H7 headlights because No one cares about them and your opinion is never going to change that.
Never used the term "superior" and I might add, as I have said before, my 328i runs the H1 projectors, with HID's for that matter. They are worse than the stock H7 units.
There is a reason BMW stepped away from them. H7's also happen to light the road sufficiently. There is no reason to upgrade. That's upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Unless I would need 3 miles of road ahead of me lit up, the H7's will do absolutely fine.

They only work with a custom projector mod anyways, as the stock H1
projectors obviously never were designed for xenon's.

That will also ruin the check control functionality. Don't need all that stuff.

Now lets not start a debate over looks. That's so subjective.
Since I have both, they both have their charm. I'm not obsessed with projectors, as some here.

But I'll give those that as the DOT approved plastic units are so horrifically bad, fitting some $5 Sears flashlights would be a considered an upgrade.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-19-2017, 10:21:36 PM   #27
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Never used the term "superior" and I might add, as I have said before, my 328i runs the H1 projectors, with HID's for that matter. They are worse than the stock H7 units.
There is a reason BMW stepped away from them. H7's also happen to light the road sufficiently. There is no reason to upgrade. That's upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Unless I would need 3 miles of road ahead of me lit up, the H7's will do absolutely fine.

They only work with a custom projector mod anyways, as the stock H1
projectors obviously never were designed for xenon's.

That will also ruin the check control functionality. Don't need all that stuff.

Now lets not start a debate over looks. That's so subjective.
Since I have both, they both have their charm. I'm not obsessed with projectors, as some here.

But I'll give those that as the DOT approved plastic units are so horrifically bad, fitting some $5 Sears flashlights would be a considered an upgrade.
You still don't seem to be understanding the difference between properly retrofitting HID's and throwing in shitty rebased Chinese HID bulb in a projector housing. That is NOT what we're talking about here because that's ghetto Honda fan boy stuff. Also a proper retrofit doesn't trip your check control so there's that argument invalid again.
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 12:08:52 AM   #28
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
You still don't seem to be understanding the difference between properly retrofitting HID's and throwing in shitty rebased Chinese HID bulb in a projector housing. That is NOT what we're talking about here because that's ghetto Honda fan boy stuff. Also a proper retrofit doesn't trip your check control so there's that argument invalid again.
This.

I've been running an Acura TSX retrofit in my car since 2008. I've never gotten a check control code, I've never changed the HID capsules, the light output kicks the **** out of any halogen output for E36s, they draw less power than halogens, and they put out less heat. It cost me about $250, IIRC.

I'm just not understanding why there would be so much hate for a modification that has no downsides.

I've had my car up side by side with E36s that have plug and play kits. It's like comparing a car with cut springs on stock Sachs to one with a nice DA coilover kit. One is the right way to do things, and the other is a hack job.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 03:41:37 AM   #29
gunner_27

United States

ok so there are 2 connectors on the back

1st is the 4 prong connector that goes into your retrofit then into your connector end on the car.

There is another 3 wire connector on the rear, what are those for, you can see it in the attached image, are those for the adjustment of the electric motors ?
Jump to top gunner_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 10:57:43 AM   #30
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

The E36 check control is old tech. Now unless the very latest style xenon's can emulate a fillament bulb, check control either always throws a message, or in the above people's case, never throw a message.

So saying it never gives an error, is something completely different as a working check control.

@Gunner: yes the other connector is for the headlight aim. Which unless you're a Eurofapper, is pretty much useless. I've never used it in 11 years of E36 ownership.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote