BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 10:22:28 PM   #11
M-technik-3

In the garage:

Default Re: E36 M3 as first car??

As a parent I would be saying no, even if it's your own money. I don't know of too many first cars that ever lasted through high school without dent or accident. Insurance will be pricey, thinking a nice budget camry.

My son is 22 wrecked his first car at 19, While he was living with me I had to take my E30 M3 off the road because he was of driving age which raised my rates. Back to storage it went....
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 10:34:44 PM   #12
jhamer123

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Who's paying for the car? Post some pictures of it.
I am paying for it. I've saved up quite a bit of money mainly for this. Ill post some pics of it in a little while, just messaged the seller for some more.
Jump to top jhamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 10:39:22 PM   #13
jhamer123

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Seems like a fair deal. Do you know how to work on a 20 year old german car or do you have friends or family who do? Or would you be better off spending the same or more on a 10 year old asian car?
My dad is pretty well versed in car repairs. He's been tinkering with cars since he was in his teens. I think that on the actual labor part of the repairs I'd be fine, it would just be parts. Not 100% sure on how expensive the parts are. From what I've seen, they are that expensive. Time to do some more research.
Jump to top jhamer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 10:41:55 PM   #14
RightYouAreKen

In the garage:

United States

Parts, in my experience, are actually pretty reasonable. No $600 alternators or $1000 water pumps here generally. However, there are lots of little trouble spots that need attention across the car if you want to keep it in top condition. These things are also around 20 years old now, so lots of rubber and plastic parts start getting brittle and breaking (if they haven't already). It's sort of death by a thousand cuts, rather than big huge bills all at once.
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 10:48:58 PM   #15
betrezra

United States

Go for it!
As long as you have some mech skills and do not expect this to be turnkey worry free car you will be fine.

From the work I've done on mine over the past month they are easy to work on and parts are easy to get and low cost. Esp if you shop around for decent used stuff.

As far as too much car... I disagree at 240 hp when new ... Just about any modern car has more hp tq.....,,

If you need any help this and other forums are ready to help.

My car at 16 was a heavily modified f body big block w drum brakes. Oh the things we did w that car!?!?$$!!
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 11:53:00 PM   #16
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Honestly... As a 26 year old now who's dropped God knows how much into cars growing up I can honestly say don't do it. Save the money, put it towards a college education that will earn you more money in the future or save it for buying a house. Your going to dump endless money into it and get nothing back out of it when you A. Wreck it or B. Get bored of fixing it and want something reliable. If I'd just bought a cheap civic etc from the get go and saved all the money I made I would have paid my college tuition and had a hefty down payment for a house by the time I graduated. Instead I chose to mess with cars and live of ramen noodles etc while dumping thousands into cars. I now make pretty good money but my car has been on the back burner for 2 years as clearing debt and buying a house makes more sense than car parts. I think any of the older guys would agree that you have to prioritize in life and the sooner you realize a 20 year old German sports car is a bad investment, the better financial choices you'll make. My 2 cents
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 12:34:45 AM   #17
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

I'm glad kids these days still have interest in cars.

Go for it, OP. Thrash it at the track, fix it, maintain it, clean it, show it off, and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 01:12:29 AM   #18
westopher

Canada

If I didn't blow so much money on cars while I was young I'd have a gt3 by now. I also wouldn't have met tons of friends in the car scene growing up, learned basic wrenching, gotten into autocross and track days, etc. Go for it, enjoy it, but don't get stupid with it. Things like fancy 3pc. Wheels and that stuff is for people with real money. Spend yours on maintaining it, gas and insurance and you will be sure that you aren't spending useless amounts while still getting to enjoy it.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 99k and soon to be worthless on BAT
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 02:01:43 AM   #19
carpetbagger

United States

Where are you located? If you get tons of snow per year, I would say no. If you are in Florida, different story. I can see the benefit of getting the car and your situation forcing you to learn how to wrench on it yourself. At the same time, there is something to be said for reliability. For under $8k, the car is not going to be perfect. Just out of curiosity, what else would you consider to be realistic cars on your list? B5S4? GTI? R53 MCS? WRX/STI?
Jump to top carpetbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-08-2017, 02:06:10 AM   #20
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

My E36 M3/4/5 was my second car and is currently my DD at the age of 18.
I started at 16 with my first car being an automatic '03 330Ci ZSP and mainly worked to just keep that thing clean until I got fired from my first job.
After sitting idle with enough cash to keep my 330 on the streets I decided I wanted more of something to tinker with that was a little more outgoing, but still driveable every day (yea right LOL).
So I made the switch to a VERY worn 5 speed M3 sedan after building up just enough cash from a new summer job to get one that fits THAT category exactly.

Since I've bought it I've dumped probably $3,xxx in repairs (expecting more) and maybe $1,xxx in cosmetic interior/exterior things that bug me.
I would suggest with what you're looking at to just go for it. My repairs have made me realize to really WAIT on what I'm looking for, save more money, and become a little more specific with what I want. If this car is exactly what you want then get it. Don't settle and don't rush anything.

From your description it sounds like a clean car, so get it, MAINTAIN IT, and enjoy it man. It's a rocky road sometimes, but nothing beats hitting a perfect rev match, hearing the whoosh of air and the straight six goodness, and then tearing through that tight corner all while looking as graceful as it can get.

Best of wishes from someone who's first "real" car was a E36 M.
(apologies on the paragraph, just trying to help someone on their decision with my opinion)
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote