BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 03:41:01 AM   #21
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: VANOS P00012 code, no intake movement

Checked it. Don't think faintly is quite right because I can hear mine really clearly haha. Sigh not valve body or solenoid then I guess
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 11:37:15 AM   #22
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post

The intake picture is after car startup so I guess the piston doesnt end up in exactly the same position as when you are setting it up? The way I set it up the past time is I had the end caps off, put everything together (VANOS torqued on head), partially tightened the hub, and then tightened on the caps (pushing the piston in slightly). At that point, the piston is sitting not flush with the back of the bore but rather it is sitting touching the end caps, so the piston is slightly less than flush.

Can you elaborate on the tensioning of the diaphragm springs? Is the purpose to keep the splined shafts from accidentally moving the hub while you are tightening the rest of the hub. I set up both intake and exhaust of my VANOS the same way so I would expect the timing to be off on both sides? Also, I got the same results whether I tensioned the diaphragm springs or not;

Again even after car had run, the process for removing the vanos with properly timed engine should always yield the same piston positions. I always lock the crank at TDC and then fully retard cams before removing head. There is no way that I'd be able to retard my intake cam enough to have the piston as retracted as yours. Mine sits perfectly flush whereas yours is considerably protruded. Your exhaust cam looks like mine does before I turn the cam with wrench again with crank locked.

The diaphragm plates basically act like clutch and pressure plate to help keep the cams in the desired position. The piston has to overcome the pressure to advance or retard the cams. If the hub bolts aren't tensioned properly than the Pistons can't do their job properly.

#67 2014, 2015, 2016 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up,

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 03:09:31 PM   #23
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

wait by protruding do you mean how my piston is pushed into the bore as opposed to being flush with the end of the bore (the end where the end cap attaches to)? If so I am not sure how to fix that because the end cap geometry causes the piston to be pushed in, as there is a boss on the inside of the cap.

Regarding the way of putting the splined shaft in first and checking that the teeth are protruding from the hub, this is what my intake spline looked like after I torqued down everything (VANOS, end caps, hub bolts). I think that matches pretty closely with how the spline should look using the method of putting the splined shaft in first.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 05:28:17 PM   #24
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default VANOS P00012 code, no intake movement

I am talking about the picture of the intake piston you posted which looks to be extending a 1/2 inch beyond flush towards the front of the car.

How about posting some additional pics.

Lock crank in TDC and then rotate cams counter clockwise to fully retarded position. Then snap a pic of the backside of the two Pistons with end caps removed . They should be sitting flush. Also timing bridge should slide in ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

Last edited by ThunderMoose; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 05:32:08 PM.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 06:23:40 PM   #25
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I am talking about the picture of the intake piston you posted which looks to be extending a 1/2 inch beyond flush towards the front of the car.

How about posting some additional pics.

Lock crank in TDC and then rotate cams counter clockwise to fully retarded position. Then snap a pic of the backside of the two Pistons with end caps removed . They should be sitting flush. Also timing bridge should slide in ..

Sounds good. I will post pics when I get home to my computer.

Ah, the 2nd picture with it extending all the way down the bore is the exhaust side. I was just showing the position of the pistons after car shutoff.

Actually I have never been able to successfully rotate my cams while the hub bolts are on. Maybe it has something to do with the S62 diaphragm plates I have on there. I didn't want to yank at my engine too hard so I've always just loosened the hub bolts first before turning the cam when removing my vanos. VANOS adjusts during normal operation though, so its not seized.

Last edited by Slowmobile; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 06:27:22 PM.
Jump to top Slowmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 07:24:49 PM   #26
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

so sorry

I finally looked at the pictures on my cell phone. Intake piston looks spot on. Your exhaust piston makes sense too if you're not able to retard the cam.

What torque are you using on the hub bolts?

Last edited by ThunderMoose; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 08:01:06 PM.
Old Thu, Mar-16-2017, 08:07:46 PM   #27
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
so sorry

I finally looked at the pictures on my cell phone. Intake piston looks spot on. Your exhaust piston makes sense too if you're not able to retard the cam.

What torque are you using on the hub bolts?

Oh ok cool. I am torquing to 7ftlb
Old Mon, Mar-20-2017, 03:59:29 PM   #28
Slowmobile
Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na

In the garage:

United States

A question about timing and its relation to adaptations. Say I have the following conditions:

Actual 49
Pilot DME 52.5
Adaptation -7

What does this actually all mean? So how I understand it is 49 is what the camshaft is actually at, 52.5 is what the VANOS wants, and the VANOS is retarded an additional 7 because the cam is 7 ahead of the crank (this part is where Im iffy on). Also, what does CR mean in GT1.

Im curious because assuming I did not clear my adaptations (I thought I did but I cant find the screenshot to show it now so I wonder...), if I put my car together and timed it spot on, would the car be throwing codes. At the moment my intake goes up to 50.8. I am wondering if the -7 adaptation is causing me to be out of the intake tolerance band.