BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 04:41:58 AM   #1
Slowmobile

In the garage:

United States

Default VANOS P00012 code, no intake movement

I did a VANOS rebuild with everything EXCEPT coil pack. I have timed my engine already. I am fairly confident I have it timed properly so I am pursuing other potential problems.

I have this error when running a VANOS test:

It turns out the intake side is not moving as this is where the piston is currently (sry image is upside down for some reason...):

As opposed to the exhaust side which looks like:

And my VANOS valve body looks like this. Note the hole with basically no oil. If I look closely at each of those holes, there is a tiny pool of oil in every one except the far right one, which further leads me to believe the far right one isnt passing any oil through:

I am curious if anybody has run into this issue before. I do not have any other codes other than the P00012. I haven't put in an order for a coil pack yet because first the car was functioning fine before I did the whole VANOS rebuild, and second the car only has 30,000 miles, so I ruled it out as a possible cause.

Also, is it possible the VANOS is locking the intake side to start with which is why the VANOS test failed? But if that is true, how would I ever run the VANOS test because as soon as I clear the code, the error will inevitably pop back up and I will never be able to run a VANOS test...

As an aside and totally unrelated, the dash warning light for my front right headlight popped up... not a big problem compared to this but I just found it amusing that this could have somehow broken my headlights.

Thanks.

Last edited by Slowmobile; Thu, Mar-16-2017 at 06:26:17 PM. Reason: called the exhaust side the "output" side :facepalm:
Jump to top Slowmobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 05:18:04 AM   #2
suaveflooder

United States

Default Re: VANOS P00012 code, no intake movement

WHAAAAA??? I think you are backwards. I'll look over some old pics, but I think you may need to retime the car.

describe your timing procedure for me, please, because yeah, the intake side should be in, exhaust should be out.

Edit: my intake did this as well (looking for pics)...basically it was maxed out because I tried to time it a different way. Went back to what I knew and everything works perfectly.

2004 IR Slicktop

Last edited by suaveflooder; Thu, Mar-02-2017 at 05:55:45 AM.
Jump to top suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 06:16:43 AM   #3
Slowmobile

In the garage:

United States

Timed it using Beisan's method starting with the hubs loose and splined shaft out and attached to the VANOS unit. The pistons are bottomed out within the bores (hitting the end caps on the VANOS) before initial startup.
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 06:32:43 AM   #4
suaveflooder

United States

yup, your timing is off. I had the same issue. Time to pull it back apart

Timing:

place timing tool in hole/s

Intake- slid the hub on, turn it all the way to the right until it stops and slowly go left until it catches a tooth, intake is now correct.

exhaust - should be able to be slid on and poke the piston barely out of the vanos unit with the cap off

at this point, BOTH pistons should be barely out of the vanos unit, all bolts loose on the gear.

Pull the caps off of the vanos unit and make sure they are BOTH out past where the cap is at. Replace the caps, they will probably move/push the pistons a touch and torque the caps. Tighten the gear bolts on on both the intake and exhaust with a crows foot, and button the top end up. Done.

I hope that makes sense. It looks/sounds like the car is just not timed right.

2004 IR Slicktop
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 06:33:56 AM   #5
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
Timed it using Beisan's method starting with the hubs loose and splined shaft out and attached to the VANOS unit. The pistons are bottomed out within the bores (hitting the end caps on the VANOS) before initial startup.
LOVE Beisan, but I tried his method and it got what you see above. Just not consistent. Try what I am telling you. I promise, your timing is off.

2004 IR Slicktop

Last edited by suaveflooder; Thu, Mar-02-2017 at 06:40:43 AM.
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 06:54:35 AM   #6
paulclaude

Scotland

Your intake cam is basically 8.5 degrees too advanced at resting position.

Aside from verifying the hubs are correctly in the splines as discussed above, ensure the camshaft position is correct. The timing bridge has to be completely flat on the head, with the pin dropping through the hole easily. Even 1mm lift on the bridge can put the timing out considerably.
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2 - Schrick 288/280 - CSL Intake/Flap/ECU - KW Clubsport/GC - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - PB 380mm BBK - Corbeau Buckets - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter
2004 E46 M3 Road - CSL Wheels - Bilstein PSS10 - Performance BMW/CSL Brakes
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 01:52:40 PM   #7
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclaude View Post
Your intake cam is basically 8.5 degrees too advanced at resting position.

Aside from verifying the hubs are correctly in the splines as discussed above, ensure the camshaft position is correct. The timing bridge has to be completely flat on the head, with the pin dropping through the hole easily. Even 1mm lift on the bridge can put the timing out considerably.
This^. Just like I mentioned in the other thread, nothing is happening because the cam is out of time at rest.

Hub position is part of it, but you absolutely, positively HAVE to use the timing bridge on the camshaft BEFORE you tighten the hub to it. When using it, the pin should slide into that camshaft and the bridge should rest perfectly flat on the head for the engine to be in time. That's what actually makes the engine "in time".
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-02-2017, 06:14:23 PM   #8
Slowmobile

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
This^. Just like I mentioned in the other thread, nothing is happening because the cam is out of time at rest.

Hub position is part of it, but you absolutely, positively HAVE to use the timing bridge on the camshaft BEFORE you tighten the hub to it. When using it, the pin should slide into that camshaft and the bridge should rest perfectly flat on the head for the engine to be in time. That's what actually makes the engine "in time".
Understood. I don't actually remove the alignment bridge from the head until I have inserted the VANOS with splined shafts and tightened all the bolts I can reach. Then I remove it to tighten the unreachable bottom bolts. Sanity check with the crank rotated 720 so cyl 1 is back to 45 shows basically the alignment bridge flush with the engine head (it fits maybe a sheet of paper, if that).

I will be trying it with Suave's method this weekend and see what I get from there. I'm just hoping my alignment bridge hasn't been the broken piece of this puzzle and is bent somehow...

Last edited by Slowmobile; Thu, Mar-02-2017 at 06:17:46 PM.
Jump to top Slowmobile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 05:38:34 AM   #9
Slowmobile

In the garage:

United States

Time to revive old...ish thread. Replaced the solenoid pack with Beisan too. Still no bueno. Had a video montage of my work reviewed and it seems that the timing is correct. Any other ideas? I'm crossing my finger hoping it's not the intake CPS...
Old Tue, Mar-14-2017, 07:52:15 AM   #10
paulclaude

Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmobile View Post
Time to revive old...ish thread. Replaced the solenoid pack with Beisan too. Still no bueno. Had a video montage of my work reviewed and it seems that the timing is correct. Any other ideas? I'm crossing my finger hoping it's not the intake CPS...
Have you reset the DME/Vanos adaptations? If not reset, they usually hold the old values and can give some odd results. CPS normally throws a code if it's faulty, but always possible.

The full retard position (60deg) of the intake cam is where the cam sits without any Vanos influence (pistons fully retracted), and is also where you are pinning it with the timing bridge. Is the bridge definitely sitting completely flat to the head and pin sliding in easily with crank locked at TDC? Even the smallest of lift can have a few degrees change.
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2 - Schrick 288/280 - CSL Intake/Flap/ECU - KW Clubsport/GC - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - PB 380mm BBK - Corbeau Buckets - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter
2004 E46 M3 Road - CSL Wheels - Bilstein PSS10 - Performance BMW/CSL Brakes
Jump to top paulclaude is offline   Reply With Quote