BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 03:42:18 PM   #1
Miggy1770

In the garage:

United States

Default E36 Market Vaule

My wife & I are in the market for an E36 M Series. However, we're absolutely not prepared to drop 15 or 20k on an E36. Prices seem to be all over the radar. OEM models depending on mileage, originality & modified ones can range anywhere from $5k up into the $20k mark. Super Charged ones are at a premium between 15k -17k. I've also seen a turbo as well as a Super Charged one, clean low mileage ones asking $21.

HAGARTY recently stated that the M Series generation is increasing in value. How ever the market is based, I believe the recent spike in prices are due to perceived value over where the market is currently. Perhaps these prices would be justified in three or five years but definitely not now.

This will be my first E36. I'm familiar with the head aches & heart aches involved with maintenance, especially if you're not a mechanic. Which I am not.

Any incite, information & opinions from Forum members as to what you believe where the current market for an E36 M Series 95-99 should be valued at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Miggy

Last edited by Miggy1770; Sat, Feb-04-2017 at 03:49:08 PM.
Jump to top Miggy1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 04:12:25 PM   #2
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: E36 Market Vaule

If you search on eBay for completed and sold listings you will get an idea of what the cars are actually selling for.

You will find a wide range of opinions on the forums. There are the enthusiasts that own them and want top dollar for them (or fair value) and then there are those that drive them and think $5k is the norm. Luckily for you, you have your pick of the crummy $5k cars, or the well cared for $15k+ cars. Choice is up to you. They are only worth what you and others are willing to pay.

What car are you after? Coupe, Sedan, Convertible? What color? What mileage? What interior? Sport or Lux?
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 04:13:11 PM   #3
westopher

Canada

There is no such thing as perceived value anymore when the whole market is following it. That's simply the new value. If it's not there, it won't sell.
Have a look at bringatrailer for a very good indication of where the market is at, as they are flying through e36 transactions. The perfect car as a driver that you care about, but won't fear driving just sold. It went for 15k and was a great buy IMO.
Medium milage
Great colour combo
Clean car fax
Minor patina/chips/scuffs and the sort
Tons of records.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 99k and soon to be worthless on BAT
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 04:47:37 PM   #4
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Do a lot of reading. Understand the car, the market and how you want to use it.

Cars that will bring a premium (over $12k*) generally include well maintained sedans (manuals), cars with the original paint in good condition and panel tags, California cars or other dry 3 season climate, cars with minimal modifications (or reversible mods) and if you're looking at FI cars make sure the modifications have been done properly and are well documented.

Take it for a thorough PPI.

*$12k is completely arbitrary on my part. Westopher above follows the market rather closely.

YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Jump to top propchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 05:04:18 PM   #5
Baby ///M3

United States

Do you know the mileage on the cars you're looking at?

Regardless of its condition and assuming the car has no prior accidents or major repair on the body, mileage is one of the biggest factors that determines the price of a used E36. Other factors such as color, body style, and modifications may come in play but nothing has affected the price of an E36 more than how many miles it has.

I believe anything that has over 125k miles will allow you to have a fair amount of room for negotiation. Anything less than 60k miles so be fetching a much higher amount depending on how badly the buyer wants it.

Jon

98' ///M3 - Dakar Yellow/Black: Dinan supercharged, complete Denon/Brax audio sytem, AC Schnitzer inside and out
Jump to top Baby ///M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 05:20:17 PM   #6
betrezra

United States

You can get a car from $6K to 30K....... they might look similar..... BUT (I'm finding this out).... they will be distincly different state of repair/main.....

I got mine for $8.8K.... was happy it was local and had all Dinan N/A mods..... BUT..... I'm having to go through just about everything... brakes, susp, cooling, power steering, etc.... to get it track ready. GL .
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 07:46:09 PM   #7
RND1

In the garage:

United States

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want a project car on the cheap that you can drive and slowly work on or do you want one that's been well looked after since new that you can break out the DA polisher and enjoy right now?

Here's some examples of the latter:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-bmw-m3-16/

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/199...m3-sedan-48-2/

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-bmw-m3-8/

All in nice driver condition with service history selling for around $15K plus or minus. IMHO, these are still incredible bargains at $15K for what you get.

As an aside, I was looking for a 993 coupe 6sp about 5 years ago for $25K and everyone told me on rennlist that I'd really have to spend $30K - $35K to get a well kept example and I didn't want to spend that much. So I never pulled the trigger and now those cars are $50K plus easy.
Jump to top RND1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 07:59:32 PM   #8
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Market is heating up and supply is going down, simple a that.

Cars range from 5k-30k depending on mileage, combo, etc. I think prices will only continue to go up but i'm also coming from a slight bias.

best of luck finding the car that fits your needs

http://m.imgur.com/qpaSWGP?r
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 08:00:54 PM   #9
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

The other option is to not buy an E36 M3 but a 328i or 328is or the like.
Finding a good M3 is not easy especially if you are looking for one where you don't have to immediately drop substantial money into it.
Any 20 year old car will likely need work. Find a well maintained example but be prepared to spend another $5K just to get everything back to factory fresh condition.
For M3 my general rule in today's market is that they are at least a $20K car; that is, the purchase price plus work needed. That number seems to be climbing as prices are going up and so is deferred maintenance.

And always, always get a pre-purchase inspection from a reputable BMW shop. They can give you the maintenance burn down list before you commit.

Last edited by JitteryJoe; Sat, Feb-04-2017 at 08:04:40 PM.
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 08:09:44 PM   #10
betrezra

United States

I'm having fun buying a running/driving high mlg specimen with some dinan mods already..... I was wanting a project car, and I enjoy the diff before/after each mod. When I'm done, I'll know this car up/down.

Be careful..... this high-winding little car will make the inner-hoon come out in you
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote