BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Mon, Dec-19-2016, 06:13:00 PM   #1
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Default HELP NEEDED whistle noise from Intake, VIDEO ADDED

Dear all,

I have an E93 M3. a couple of weeks ago, I had a very faint whistle noise when driving at 2500 RPM at certain throttle pedal press meaning if I'm flooring the gas pedal I don't hear it at all , also it is not heard at idle. a couple of days ago this whistle started to become noticeable when driving from 1500 RPM to 3000 RPM in all gears , to hear it when the car is standstill you have to keep revving it to 1500rpm and I mean pushing the pedal and letting go and so on, if I fix the rpm at 1500 rpm it can't be heard, the problem is I removed the intake manifold and checked all intake boots, I changed the PCV valve and the two crankcase Pressure Regulator Valve , the one on top of the head cover, . Also I removed the intake manifold and checked for leaks, I really can't see any leaks and I have put water on most of the vacuum hoses but came out with nothing. The car is idling great and the performance is good but my concern is that I'm sucking unfiltered air to the engine.

One last thing when I remove the intake manifold and start the car and rev the engine the sound is barely heard, it is as if the manifold magnifies the noise.
Sorry for the long story but I'm going crazy with this sound and I can't fix it, I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me with this issue.
Thank you
(Stock Airbox and filter)
Also the noise is not from the airbox or filter as I removed the airbox and the noise is still there.

Here is a video with the whistle when revving in standstill , as it is very hard to record the sound when driving.

Last edited by IbrahimM3; Sat, Jan-28-2017 at 07:46:15 PM.
Jump to top IbrahimM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Dec-20-2016, 06:00:05 PM   #2
HOPSM3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: HELP NEEDED whistle noise from Intake

I have the same issue with my 2011 E92 M3. I have an all stock air box as well. Whistles when cruising along at 1500 to 3000 RPM with slight throttle press. I've also checked everything I can think of but no luck figuring it out. Have the same concern regarding unfiltered air into the air box, not to mention its annoying. No noticeable impact on performance.

Any thoughts?
Jump to top HOPSM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-23-2016, 07:47:25 AM   #3
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPSM3 View Post
I have the same issue with my 2011 E92 M3. I have an all stock air box as well. Whistles when cruising along at 1500 to 3000 RPM with slight throttle press. I've also checked everything I can think of but no luck figuring it out. Have the same concern regarding unfiltered air into the air box, not to mention its annoying. No noticeable impact on performance.

Any thoughts?
I have another issue that makes me feel now that I need to change the pcv valve and also the crankcase pressure Regulator valve as I get oil leak from the oil cap which I just replaced with a brand new one. Do you get also oil leak from your oil cap. I think it has to do with these three valves , the two crankcase pressure regulater valves and the pcv valve. I think I'll do this after 10 days as I'm travelling. I'll keep you updated if any luck but please advise if you also have the oil cap leaking.
Old Sat, Dec-24-2016, 06:13:43 AM   #4
spencerberke

United States

I had this issue too. I made a video about it awhile back. Heard it was just a power steering noise. I topped it off and the sound went away. Hope this helps.

Jump to top spencerberke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-22-2017, 02:04:03 PM   #5
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPSM3 View Post

Any thoughts?
I changed PCV valve and the two pressure regulator valves that are on top of the head covers, unfortunately the sound is still there. Did you manage to solve this problem?
I'm out of ideas as it is something in the air intake but I already almost changed every valve that can cause this noise and it hasn't been solved yet.
Old Sat, Jan-28-2017, 04:54:31 PM   #6
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Default Intake manifold whistle noise with video , help needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

I have an E93 M3. a couple of weeks ago, I had a very faint whistle noise when driving at 2500 RPM at certain throttle pedal press meaning if I'm flooring the gas pedal I don't hear it at all , also it is not heard at idle. a couple of days ago this whistle started to become noticeable when driving from 1500 RPM to 3000 RPM in all gears , to hear it when the car is standstill you have to keep revving it to 1500rpm and I mean pushing the pedal and letting go and so on, if I fix the rpm at 1500 rpm it can't be heard, the problem is I removed the intake manifold and checked all intake boots, I changed the PCV valve and the two crankcase Pressure Regulator Valve , the one on top of the head cover, . Also I removed the intake manifold and checked for leaks, I really can't see any leaks and I have put water on most of the vacuum hoses but came out with nothing. The car is idling great and the performance is good but my concern is that I'm sucking unfiltered air to the engine.

One last thing when I remove the intake manifold and start the car and rev the engine the sound is barely heard, it is as if the manifold magnifies the noise.
Sorry for the long story but I'm going crazy with this sound and I can't fix it, I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me with this issue.
Thank you
Also the noise is not from the airbox or filter as I removed the airbox and the noise is still there.

Here is a video with the whistle when revving in standstill , as it is very hard to record the sound when driving.

Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 05:01:43 PM   #7
TudiM3

United States

Default Re: HELP NEEDED whistle noise from Intake, VIDEO ADDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimM3 View Post
Dear all,

Thank you

http://youtu.be/wMZAnsgkX2w
Hi,
I found the problem.
The problem is the air intake airbox itself.
There is a tube connection at the end of the airbox's left side.
That tube is connected to the idle actuator.
If you press the accelerator pedal gently,than, you can rev the engine up to 3-4000rpm without throttle opening.
A way quiet whistle noise is come from the idle actuator (that is normal),and then it gets louder when you connect the tube to the intake airbox.
If you check the hole on the aribox,you will see inside the hole a 90 rubber tube turns. That rubber was factory glued into the airbox housing.(i think)
That rubber tube is came off from plastic housing and there is a wide-narrow gap. That cause this whistling sound.
I thinking on it,how to glue back without fail,because if i can not fix,i need to buy a new airbox, because it can not be disassembled.
Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 10:42:08 PM   #8
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Thanks lot for your reply. It's amazing that you found it . I tried what you were saying about disconnecting this tube from the intake manifold and found out that the sound goes but never did I reach which place exactly does this noise. I'd really appreciate it if you can send me a photo of the place you mean with rubber connection. This sound is driving me crazy until now )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudiM3 View Post
Hi,
I found the problem.
The problem is the air intake airbox itself.
There is a tube connection at the end of the airbox's left side.
That tube is connected to the idle actuator.
If you press the accelerator pedal gently,than, you can rev the engine up to 3-4000rpm without throttle opening.
A way quiet whistle noise is come from the idle actuator (that is normal),and then it gets louder when you connect the tube to the intake airbox.
If you check the hole on the aribox,you will see inside the hole a 90 rubber tube turns. That rubber was factory glued into the airbox housing.(i think)
That rubber tube is came off from plastic housing and there is a wide-narrow gap. That cause this whistling sound.
I thinking on it,how to glue back without fail,because if i can not fix,i need to buy a new airbox, because it can not be disassembled.

E93 M3, DCT to Manual conversion, Macht schnell intake stage 2, Ess ECU N/A tune, ESS Underdrive Pulley kit
Old Mon, Sep-25-2017, 07:38:05 PM   #9
TudiM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimM3 View Post
Thanks lot for your reply. It's amazing that you found it . I tried what you were saying about disconnecting this tube from the intake manifold and found out that the sound goes but never did I reach which place exactly does this noise. I'd really appreciate it if you can send me a photo of the place you mean with rubber connection. This sound is driving me crazy until now )
I have a BMW repair and build shop.
So i had to figured out what was this noise.
First i tried to search on the net,but only found this topic without solution.
So had to fix it myself.
Here is my shop's site
You can visit and see what i do.
https://www.facebook.com/Tudimpowerservice
Here are the pics from the hole and the rubber thing: